“Its was a terrible experience, disco in the room?”

and 1 more site!
Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hornchurch
Blackwood, United Kingdom
“Its was a terrible experience, disco in the room?”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Checked in by David as he was eating his tea of pie and chips, he was very helpful, went up the stairs to our room, paper and plaster coming off the wall - not a good sign, place is very worn out and needs a good deep clean and refurbishment. The room was OK, warm and a clean bed, but no bedside table so had to put tea on the floor, no bedside light,had to walk from other side of the room in the dark.
At 9pm the weekly disco started to vibrate our room, (109) had to turn up the TV sound to hear it, so not much chance of a good nights sleep here, the Ember Inns company logo states "You get more than a good nights sleep at their Inns" - some hope.

You can stay at a local Premier Inn for the same cost of £65 and get a guarantee of a good nights sleep or your money back, I will in future.

A positive to end the breakfast was very good

Room Tip: Get a room near the front of the Inn/pub away from the disco room, or go elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
We are sorry that your recent visit to The Railway, Innkeeper's Lodge, Hornchurch was not to your satisfaction. We appreciate your feedback which will help us to improve our service, and we have replied to you personally about your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Girona, Spain
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I both fancied a trip to London, me for football, her for Xmas shopping, but had a car and wanted parking and didn't want to pay typical london hotel prices. On all counts, this was a great choice. Plentiful parking, literally next to underground station, 120 quid for 2 nights and Hornchurch has plenty of nightlife to offer too.
Our room was basic but pretty big, didn't hear any noise despite the pub being heaving both nights, welcome from owners was warm and the continental Breakfast included in the price was great value. Only 2 gripes, water pressure in the shower not great and my wife found it difficult to work with the mirror when doing hair etc but, overall, great value.

• Stayed November 2013
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Your kind recommendation means a lot to us here at The Railway, Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch , and we are so glad to hear that your visit was a positive one. We have replied to you personally about your review.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Booked for 2 night, so bad we only stayed for one. On arrival your greeted with the smell of damp and over cooked Brussel sprouts in reception. As we made our way to the room the smell got worse, when we got to the room the beds smelled like really pungent sweaty the socks.The room was freezing cold and the curtain looked,smelled and felt like there older than my gran. One of the worst places I've stayed.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank MrPoPs1
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch on our Trip Advisor page. We were disappointed to read that you were not satisfied, and we have replied to you personally about this.

Travellers are raving about these Hornchurch hotels

Uttoxeter, Staffordshire
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have recently returned from having spent 3 nights in this Hotel. The room that was allocated ( number 102) was perfect, staff were friendly, a well stocked continental breakfast was available and the Hotel is right next door to Hornchurch tube station. There was a slight confusion when I arrived as The Lodge Reception was signed at the left hand door to the Hotel but you then had to go right through the pub to the rear of the Hotel to check in. They should direct guests to the back of the Hotel, on arrival.

I would have given this Hotel 5 stars if it wasn't for an unfortunate incident. I arrived back to my room after being out all day only to find my door wide open, held ajar with a chair and the lights on. Anybody could have helped themselves to my gear, including a lap top computer. I accept that they have a security door which would have kept out the general public but any other guest could have got into my room.

I would however stay in this Hotel again despite the incident which was obviously a housekeeper's error.

Room Tip: Room 102 is overlooking the front of the Hotel but I found it quiet, despite having the window open
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Your review is very helpful to us, and we will take note of the points you have made following your visit to The Railway, Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch .
CANVEY ISLAND
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel /pub on a Saturday ....we parked the car and was given a pass for the car then we walked down to the town .
Late afternoon we came back and had a few drinks in the bar and found the pub very reasonable and very friendly ......we were eating in hornchurch that night in a Chinese but meals did look very good in the pub/hotel .....we met up with friends and then got back to pub late and pub was still busy and friendly .....
We slept well had lovely hot showers nice clean beds and towels and everything we needed .......
Room bit dated but had all we needed ....
Breakfast was continental and plentiful ....perhaps maybe boiled eggs or ham would be nice .....we would def stay again as very handy to meet with friends ....

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Railway, Innkeeper's Lodge, Hornchurch and we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. On behalf of all the team we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and we have replied to you personally asking for a little more information.
abu dhabi
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Having read some negative reviews, especially about noise, I was expecting a rather bad experience, as we were staying on a Friday night. I actually didn't hear any noise at all, and we had a room directly facing the station overlooking the side car park. (maybe the disco and function nights are mainly on a Saturday). The room was on the cramped side but I was happy with the bathroom, which was spacious and clean, and with a proper bathtub. Water was hot. It was nice having a pub just downstairs so all meals on hand at reasonable prices. It was also very conveniently situated, being less than a minute from the station (District Line) with a few handy shops, such as Boots, literally across the road. I phoned the day before arriving saying I was flying in on an early long haul flight and would be grateful for early check in and the person I spoke to was very friendly and helpful and said she would do her best - so we were able to get into our room at 10:30 for no extra cost. This was really appreciated. Bed was comfortable with extra bedding stored in the wardrobe. Tea and coffee making facilities in room.

A few negative points which would have made staying there a bit better:

Our arrival experience was confusing. Walking from the station at about 10:00 a.m., we couldn't see how to get into the hotel, as the normal front facing pub doors were locked. The side entrance facing the station was also locked. There were two people who seemed to be from the pub, cleaning and doing stuff outside but they didn't say anything to us, even though it was obvious we were guests (towing our suitcases!). After trying to find the entrance for about 5 minutes, dragging our cases to and fro across the forecourt, I eventually asked one of them and she said use the side entrance - round the further side (why she hadn't said something immediately .....!!). Even this wasn't that obvious. Once inside, there was no clear reception area, and no one to be seen. We walked into the pub area, past two young men sitting at a pub table, having a conference. We sat for at least 15 minutes and no one appeared behind the bar. In the end I went to ask one of the young men, who it turned out was 'the receptionist' - again strange he didn't say anything when he saw us trailing in with heavy suitcases. When I intimated that it was odd he didn't say anything to us he said "but check in isn't until 3 o'clock" (but why were two people coming into the pub before opening hours with suitcases!?) and I said we had organized possible early check in. He then said "Ah, yes, I seem to remember a note being left about an early check in". We found all this EXTREMELY odd and not a good first impression - although after finding out we were the 'early check-in' guests, he was very helpful.

I came away with a lovely purple bruise on my thigh as the space between the end of the bed and the corner of the TV unit was probably not much more than a foot wide, and I kept bumping into the corner, especially when using the bathroom in the night.

There were no bathroom minis (though a notice said some things can be supplied) - only two all purpose soap-dispensers on the walls. If you want a bath, you have to try to get the soap into your cupped hand before sinking into the bath (not easy with liquid soap!), as it is high up by the shower head! I did notice there was no regular soap when we first arrived and asked the cleaner who was still outside, and she said "we don't supply soap - there is a soap dispenser on the wall". Towels were rather small, but again, a notice said you could request extra towels.

I fiddled with the radiator before going down for dinner, and on coming back it was still stone cold. However, although October, the room was fine without a radiator, but room temperature might have been an issue, had it been colder.

We had lunch and dinner in the pub. Most of the food was reasonably good, and the fish and chips excellent - both in quality and for value (5 pounds before 5 p.m. except Sunday, I think) but don't order the goats cheese and roast veg tart. It was absolutely awful - looked like a piece of badly-done cheese on toast, with no sign of a roasted veg or cherry tomato, as stated in the menu. Breakfast was ok for a 'continental breakfast'. No cheese or ham, as with some continental breakfasts, but plenty of breads, cereals, juice, yoghurt. Coffee was very weak.

I would actually have given it three points as an overall rating if it hadn't been for the lovely person I spoke to on the phone and the extremely useful early check in for no extra cost.

Room Tip: I didn't hear any traffic noise at all in our side-facing room (I think it was 101), which some...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
The time you have taken to leave us a review following your visit to The Railway, Hornchurch is appreciated, and we will use your comments to ensure that our standards do not fall.
Shepshed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

everything about the lodge was perfect!---arrived late given the room key etc by dave,from the pub.who was very helpful.the room was perfect,as nice & if not better than some places we have stayed in.
until we went to bed!
3 springs were sticking out of the mattress.At 1am it was it was too late to do anything about it.We went most of the night without being able to sleep,as the bed was so uncomfortable.
The trip to London the next day was ruined by our tiredness.[we had planned this trip for 3months!].
The next day a new mattress was provided.????
The logo for this company is"more than just agood nights sleep"---infact you get no sleep at all.
Shame about it as I would have given them "excellent" if not for the bed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tony b
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
We are sorry that you had a disappointing visit to our Innkeepers Lodge, and we do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hornchurch
Devonshire Hotel
#1 of 4 in Brentwood
Holiday Inn Brentwood
Holiday Inn Brentwood
#4 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch? Share your experiences!