“hit and miss”

essex
“hit and miss”
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Party of 5 aged 23-51 on Sunday 3rd January 2010

Food: starters, wild Boar Carpaccio £7.20 tasty but over priced, mushroom soup £4.50 fair portion taste ok , potted crayfish & shrimp £5.95 tasty, slightly over priced for portion, 2 x Honey roast butternut squash/dolcelatte salad £5.50 bit pricy but tasted ok.
MAIN: 3 X Confit pressed veal belly/side veg carrot,swede,parsnips £16.10 each, beautifully cooked and very tasty. pork chop /stilton glaze v tasty with same veg £8.95
Organic porkfillet, creamed root veg/bubble & squeak beautifully cooked, great taste £13.95. The portion of extra chips were great
Meal was Much Better Then Last Visit.
Service: quick and efficiant(was a quiet night)
Ambience:bit noisy from bar area but relaxed

Points: we were not given menu as it was written on large board(they are available)so was not aware of what came with meal ie if vegetables were included with meal, prices obscured on board. Tables are closly packed and not ideal for private conversation.
overall My sons loved the food not the price, I wont be rushing back my bill came to £140 incl tip, a bit hit and miss

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
london
Reviewed 23 January 2008

Hordon on the Hill seems to be a lovely little Essex town, but sadly there doesn’t seem to be a huge amount of places to stay in the area.

The room was OK, but I’d hoped for something a little nicer for the £50 room only cost of a double. There is some outdated décor about, but it was clean and tidy.

The pub/restaurant is packed, but the food was again, a bit disappointing. It tried hard – venison carpaccio, Neal’s Yard Cheeses etc, but the things we tried weren’t brilliantly cooked, or the flavours well balanced. I asked the waitress what the cheeses were, and she said she thought there was a stilton and a goats cheese. I’m sure she would have found out for us, but you’d hope that they’d know,
when they are asking £8.10 for it!

All round, I’m sure it’s an excellent option if you want to stay in that area. I’d have been happier to pay a little less for something less pretentious, had there been an option. We appreciated the cockles
the next day at Leigh on Sea all the more!

• Liked — historic pub
  • Disliked — the cost
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
southend on sea
Reviewed 30 May 2007

We didnot stay at the Inn but only went for lunch. The surroundings were delightful the pity is the meal did not live up to ones expectations. The service was poor due no doubt to the fact that the inn is used to train students. The quality of the food was second rate and indeed only upon returning home did I realise that my dessert was missing the pistachio ice cream which was supposed to accompany it. The sweet potato samosa on fennel mash was probably worthy of a fourteen year old's attempt at cooking, rhubarb crumble had a topping that tasted like saw dust with inedible pastry. Vegetables unexciting. Chicken was tough and tasteless. To be fair our companions enjoyed their venison. Best part of the meal was the bread and olives. Prices very high for lunch £110 for four of us, one guest had only one course another had only two courses. The only thing that was cheap was the coffee , presumably because it was virtually undrinkable.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank pastelmuneca
Carlisle
Reviewed 21 July 2006

The Bell In is a fantasic find, only 15 minutes from the docks at Purfleet/Dagenham and 10 minutes from the M25/Dartford crossing.

It appears to be a very well managed, privately owned pub, resteraunt and hotel combination.

The rooms are very querky (oak beams, 4 poster beds etc) each one seems to be individual, clean, well presented and are reasonably priced (I paid £75 for a suite).

The Pub is really popular with the locals, good atmosphere and has a nice beer garden.

The resteraunt is fantasic - my collegue and I both thought the food was incredible and very reasonably priced for a hotel.

Putting it simply, I'll never stay at one of those plastic Marriot/Hilton/Holiday Inn places again whenever I am in the East London area.

This place is full of real people, real atmosphere, quality food and proper personal service.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank ScotsJohn
Townsend, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 January 2005

Don't expect an upperclass hotel with chocolates on your pillow and an indoor pool. That's not why you'd choose to stay here in the first place. What the Bell Inn DOES have is charm- and plenty of it. We stayed in the Ann Boleyn suite for 4 nights in early January, 05, and I felt that I was in my grandmother's attic. Large yet cozy room, comfortable bed, nice bathroom, and narrow, old stairs leading up to the room. The pub and restaurant are downstairs. Great food with a quirky menu- the restaurant has a good reputation with the locals and lives up to it. If you're looking for a pub with tons of atmosphere- ancient beamed ceiling and half-timbered walls with a roaring fire and much good cheer- this is it. It's much less expensive than a nice London hotel and you can take the train in from the West Horndon station to the Fenchurch station which is close to the Tower of London. We'll stay there again.

3 Thank KATenn
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 October 2004

Well all I can say is very surprised. We had booked a night here simply as a place to sleep after a long day of eating and drinking(lots) at a wedding nearby. When shown into what I guess could be called a one bedroom cottage we were overwhelmed with the size and decor. Leather sofas, wooden floors, tv, etc in the main room. A bathroom that had a similar style of an Ian Schrager type hotel (St Martins Lane Hotel, Sanderson).Large shower, stand alone bath, lots of metal and smoked glass. Back to the main room and up the spiral stairs to the second level and a huge bed.....Don't get me wrong, this is no 5 star west end hotel. But in lovely surroundings, with apparently a very nice pub/restaurant I know that I'll be making another visit asap!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 August 2003

Only went to the Bell for a meal. Starters good, one of the meals not hot enough, main meal good, only one of us had a desert, chocolate and lavender- chocolate taste did not come through. PROBLEM that spoinlt the night. Having taken a sip of my pint I returned a pint of lager as I thought it did not taste correct (30 years experience of drinling lager). On receiving the bill I noticed that I had been charged for the pint. I spoke tho the waiter and he said that the manager said that as I had ordered the pint and taken a sip then I should pay for it. I spoke to the manager and he said that he knew better than me. Obviously this spoilt a average meal and I did not feel the need to leave a tip on a £90 meal. The manager may have many years experience in running a restaurant but customer satisfaction was not his main skill, I most definatley will not be going back

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horndon-on-the-Hill
Orsett Hall
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
De Rougemont Manor
De Rougemont Manor
#3 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to The Bell Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!