“Think outside the box”

Ranked #1 of 1 Glendale B&B and Inns
Suffolk, Virginia, United States
“Think outside the box”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Think outside the box? You know that standard hotel room that's like a shoebox. The Glendalia is not a box and is rich in character with original thick solid doors and those crystal door knobs. I had a very comfortable corner living room with windows on two walls offering delightful views of the center of town and patio dining. The newer windows allowed me to let the fresh air in during my October visit. My bedroom was ideal and the bed so soft I slept like a baby. The bathroom was nice and the huge shower with powerful water flow was worth waking up to. My little kitchen was perfect for my business stay with a nice sink, half refrigerator and a microwave.
No extra charge for those trains passing by day and night. I liked the romance of the approaching horn and the clanking of the wheels on the track.
What made my stay really special were the treats in the fridge. Each evening I returned from work to find drinks and snacks waiting. And, the friendly welcoming by the manager was all I needed to feel totally welcomed. I can’t wait to return. Tim

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The Glendalia Boutique Hotel is a treasure, located in historic Glendale... tucked away in a seemingly different world, yet convenient to downtown Cincinnati.

The Glendalia boasts six renovated suites, overlooking the square in this charming, eclectic community. Each suite is pure elegance and comfort, offering a King or Queen bed, a living room, a full kitchen or kitchenette, and an elegantly appointed bathroom featuring marble sinks, heated towel bars, and many with a walk-in "cave style" shower. With a continental breakfast to top things off, the Glendalia even manages to provide affordable rates.

Picturesque and peaceful, this almost feels like a "hideaway", yet close enough to easily explore all that greater Cincinnati has to offer.

And the folks at the Glendalia must just be over-achievers, because now they have widened their reach to include a Culinary Studio! Offering cooking classes and kitchen ware, the schedule includes a boot camp, everyday gourmet, and a culinary journey. I can not stress how this is the perfect place to host a girl's getaway!

You really must make your reservations today, and escape to a world that can be exactly what you cook up!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I read all the great reviews about this place online, it met every expectation I had.
I communicated about reservations via email, love that personal communication with a live person. The owner met us upon arrival and walked us to our room (definitely more like an apartment).
The room was very clean, and beautifully decorated, kind of a Victorian feel to it.
A few "heads up" :
The bed was a temporpedic mattress, which we found out we do not like and had trouble sleeping.
The TV is in the front sitting room only, if your plan is to lay in bed and veg out watching TV, this room won't make you happy.
The Trains. I really thought, how bad could it be? Bad. With the combination of the new found hated mattress and the trains, rough night.

The surrounding town is so lovely and fun to explore, cute shops, and nice places to dine.

All in all, we were looking for a romantic, relaxing getaway from our normal routine, and we found it. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to get away, relax, and explore.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank ChelseaJared
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I believe all 7 of our jaws dropped when we saw the size and spaciousness of our rooms. Seven women in my family were meeting from around the country to have a weekend away in Cincinnati, and the rooms were perfect for gathering together. If anything we had more space than we actually needed. The decor was lovely, well kept and clean. The hospitality of the owner went above and beyond what we expected for our weekend. Glendale is a sweet little town and from the Inn you're walking distance from a handful of shops and restaurants. The train is noisy, but that just added to the historical charm of the town. We have already started to make plans to return for next year.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amanda G
Portersville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The Glendalia was more like a very unigue apartment. We stayed in the Procter room..it had 2 bedrooms,livingroom,full kitchen and bath. It was very clean and comfy! Breakfast is not served here,they leave you drinks and bakery goods,which was very nice.We enjoyed walking around the lovely town,peaceful and quiet...but your are next to the railroad tracks,the train sounds didn't bother us.A wonderful out of way place to stay if your visiting Cincinnati.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank abbeyroad64
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I found the Glendalia on Bed and Breakfast .com and was surprised because it was a hotel under the bed and breakfast site, but now I know why. It is a small property with the very personal and homey feel of a bed and breakfast operated right out of someone's home, but has the privacy space of a nice hotel. I stayed in the Proctor Suite and I seriously would be content to call it home. It is beautifully appointed and has every thing you could need down to a washer and dryer in the unit. The master bedroom was incredibly comfortable and nice, but I would have been just as comfortable in the second room with the twin beds I am sure.The train that runs though town only adds to the charm of the small town feel and experience to me. I was able to sleep well though out the night and when I was awake to hear the train it brought back fond memories of growing up in a small Midwest town. I am only disappointed that the new culinary school was not yet completed and open because with the equipment in the lobby that is ready for installation I a sure it will be wonderful. My only consolation is that the culinary classes will give me a reason to repeat this pleasant experience all over again!

Room Tip: For and extended stay the Proctor Suite will feel like home, only maybe better!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 17 April 2013

More apartment than hotel, more hotel than B&B.
This place is a true value - spacious, clean, beautifully decorated in a charming old neighborhood with shops and cafes w/in walking distance. We had an unexpected delay arriving later than we anticipated. We were greeted with more genuine kindness and understanding than we expected. It's a unique experience that I want more of!!
There is a train about a block away that runs by every couple hours but the bed was so comfy and we were so cozy it barely registered. I noticed that others stated the breakfast was skimpy it wasn't a full meal, but it was enough; oj, coffee and cereal are all we eat at home, the fruit was an added bonus.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bis54
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glendale
LivINN Hotel Cincinnati North / Sharonville
Drury Inn & Suites Cincinnati Sharonville
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
#5 of 17 in Sharonville
Residence Inn Cincinnati North/Sharonville
Best Western Plus Hannaford Inn & Suites

Been to Glendalia Boutique Hotel & Culinary Studio? Share your experiences!