“Don't waste your time or money!!”
Review of East

East
Ranked #123 of 687 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just visited East for the third time unfortunately! Never again! I took my family who were on a visit to Southend, as my sister wanted chinese but I'm not keen plus we had 6 kids with us so I knew they wouldn't all eat, just figured this would suit everyone! How wrong can you be? £14 a head for probably £3 a head worth of food! £21 on 9 warm glasses of apple juice is a complete joke! £4 on two glasses of soda and lime?? Obviously make their money on drinks? Each time I have been here the prawns have the intestinal tract intact so you have to dissect them each time or your child eats a line of prawn poo! Lesson learned...... Never again!!! Should of gone to Maya's World Buffet, would of cost a lot less and at least they bend over backwards for you when you express your opinion to the manager! The staff here just said "oh" when I told them I wouldn't be back and that I was embarrassed I had brought my family there!

1  Thank Richard L
Eastmanagement, Manager at East, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hi there, thank you for writing a review of your latest visit to East. I'm really sorry that you did not enjoy dining with us. Chinese buffet is not for everyone but for those that appreciate it; it is really worth what you pay. We are aware that at take away price you'll pay at least £2 for a portion of plain rice and at least £4.80 for an accompanying side dish, so a minimum of £6.80. I seriously doubt you'll get anything for £3.00 anywhere! Anyway if you don't like Chinese even paying £3.00 is too much. Our prices are very competitive and we are definitely cheaper than our competitors.

I'm sorry that your apple juices were warm, you should have said at the time and we would have been happy to replace them, or add ice to make them colder. As for £4 for two glasses of soda water and lime, this should only be £2.40 for two large ones, and if we have overcharged you here please feel free to contact us for a refund if this our mistake.

I'm also sorry that staff was not very responsive to your comment that you will not be returning. This is because we feel sometimes it is better not to say too much when a customer is very angry so as not to antagonise them even more. Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I came here for lunch with my partner and our 2 young children. The choice of food is good and a great price. My 4 year old boy loves going and getting to choose his own meal. The service is brisk and your plates are taken away quickly, so they do not pile up. The restaurant is big and the layout is basic, but at the value and food far outweigh this slight flaw.
We just popped in and had lunch and I would recommend East to anyone.

Eastmanagement, Manager at East, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Hi there. We are very pleased that you and your family have enjoyed dining with us. You're right, it's especially good for children, even the fussy ones, as they can pick and choose, and eat what they like, as much as they like. And you can also educate them to try things they might not necessarily try, at no extra cost wasted if they did not like it. Thank you for writing a comment, we appreciate it.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a wonderful buffet restaurant that would caters for group of friends or family. This place is also child friendly and it is in the centre of town. Not the most romantic place to take the Mrs. though.

This restaurant is very clean
The staffs are attentive and friendly
The food is very good
The price is reasonable
Adequate parking facilities

Eastmanagement, Manager at East, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for the review of your visit to East. We appreciate all comments we get as it helps us to maintain the standard our customers have come to expect and make improvement where possible.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

What more could you want, an enjoyable evening out with family, amazing desserts :)
Replaced empty trays quickly and had chips for fussy eaters! Lovely!

Eastmanagement, Manager at East, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit to East. We are pleased that you have enjoyed dining with us.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I came here with several of my friends for my 18th, we booked a table in advance so there was no issue with regards to our large party. At first glance the general layout of the restaurant appeared to me like a bit of a canteen, everyone packed in tightly, but that is really the only flaw. The staff were extremely attentive and friendly, and the food was absolutely gorgeous! It wasn't greasy like most Chinese food I've tried, it was cooked to perfection. It was also incredibly reasonable, and all you can eat which was an added bonus! I will definitely be returning, first class!

Eastmanagement, Manager at East, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you so much for the review of your visit to East. We are pleased that you and your friends have enjoyed dining with us. We do cater well for large parties, you can eat eat at different speed, amount and different selections. It works well for everyone. We look forward to looking after you and your friend again soon. Cheers