“What a waste of space”

The Waverley Guesthouse
Cornwall
“What a waste of space”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Well, where do I start. On arrival the owners were not there. We were shown our room by their teenage son stating Mum & Dad will be back shortly. Could'n t find the remote for the TV, asked the son and 20 mins later he showed me where it was. Switched on, No watchable picture. Told would have to watch channel 11 - 15. Shaving light bulb broken, bare elements hanging in the socket( told it would be fixed and not to touch it, in case I got a shock, (yes, I really am that stupid!!!). Shower broken, Had to use one hand to hold the shower head. Crack in the sink. Stain on Carpet. Wall paper coming off by window. Breakfast was a shambles, No Butter Knife, Given Cup & Saucer for Tea with no spoon. Waited an age before asked what we wanted for breakfast and then ended up with something else, ie: 1 grilled Tomatoe & 1 Poached Egg, ended up with a plate of tomatoes and 2 poached eggs. This was the standard throughout the stay. There is a notice on the private quarters door asking guests to respect the family and not to make to much noise, unfortunately this was not reciprocated on two occassions we were disturbed with the clatter and banging of utensils, cups, saucers and glasses late in the evening as the breakfast room was got ready. The final straw was when we came back to the room the day before we left to find that the shower was dismantled. The sink was still cracked and the light still had bare elements, but the shower was dismantled. During the course of our stay the carpet was not hoovered, the bin was only emptied once (when it got to overflowing). All the preserves, Jams etc were in their original jars, therefor enabling anyone to dip their knives in, No toast racks, no decaf coffee, hot chocolate or buscuits in the courtesy trays in the room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TroggerCornwall
Cherryl72, Owner at The Waverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
Well where do I start
Thank you for your review, The Waverley always likes to hear constructive cristism and not Nit Picking complaints.
The Waverley has specific booking in times to cover morning and evening guest requirements. Unfortunatley in this instance the owners were not available, however their son kindly tried to help check you in to make you comfortable instead of having to wait.
With regards to some on the maintenance issues (some I cannot agree with), these were discussed during your stay and due to you advising us that your wife is teminally ill (has come to Southend to say good bye due to her short time left) we took this onboard to create a restful environment.
The electrical issues were also discussed and no such comment ' not to touch the light above the sink' was said (I would not insult my guests intelligence), I can confirm these were looked into and have been addressed.
I can advise that an element of noise can be heard from the particular room that you occupied during your stay, however the breakfast area is prepared generally after teatime. Should this have been brought to my attention, I would have been happy to relocate you to another room.
I will apologise, however for giving your wife 2 poached eggs and a whole sliced tomato instead of her order of 1 poached egg and a slice of tomato. I can only take the blame for this as when presenting the breakfast on the plate this looked unsubstantial. I personally decided to provide a further portion.
In response to your comments of using original jars of preserves, I personally feel that presenting this way shows my guests that I do not provided lower quality products. I do however provide small square bowls on the breakfast bar so that guests can take an individual protion. Should there have not been any available at the time you were taking breakfast, I would have been happy to provide additional bowls if I was made aware these had run out.
It is unfortunate that you had a number of issues whilst staying with us, the ones you highlighted we were happy to deal with while you were here and I hope some others I have dealt with here.
It is unfortunate to receive this review as The Waverley tries to make every guest's stay welcoming and comfortable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

very good very well run B&B. All rooms our clean and relay top class. the women who runs is is bonkers but very nice. The View from my windows is over the sea which was very nice. would go back. breakfast was the best i had in any hotel . 10/10

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We booked the Waverley as an overnight stay, as we were visiting friends in the area. Literally pulled it up from Google, so didn't really know what to expect.

Fantastic experience. When we arrived, the owner was extremely friendly. She showed us to our room, took time to point out how things worked, the times of breakfast etc. - couldn't have been more pleasant.

The room was ideal; a very spacious double. Really well appointed and spotlessly clean. The kettle, cups and coffee tray were also spotless, and there were even nice toiletries in the bathroom!. Perfect for an overnight or a long weekend.

Lovely view of the seafront (very dull and windy but can't blame the Waverley for that!).

We had to leave early the next day and so didn't stay for breakfast, but what we saw in the dining room looked very nice, and the guy who checked us out was very friendly.

A great, clean well run Bed and Breakfast - on the sea front but far enough away from the 'nightlife' to make it the right level of peaceful - we even got a parking space right outside!

Thanks again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2011

The tittle gives it away, We arrived and the owners had trouble unlocking the front door with excuse of I tried to use the room keys. We should have seen this as what was to come. We had the down stairs front bedroom, which was the cleanest it could have been with wallpaper peeling off and the bathroom smelt mouldy and the shower looks like it needed a good clean. To cap that in the morning there was no hot water and I had to shower in cold. We went into breakfast at the appointed hour ( and only an hour 8 - 9) as there was only an hour window. There was no table available so we waited patiently for 15 minute and then shown to a dirty table half laid. Our order was taken and we waited again patiently for 35 minutes. Then approached again and was told he had lost our older at that point we walked out.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sparkymarky55
Cherryl72, Owner at The Waverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, 17 July 2011
Firstly may I thank you for your review, The Waverley does appreciate if guests leave constructive critism which will enable the business to grow.
In response to some of your concerns I would like to advise that there was a delay in opening the front door only due to a previous guests double locking the door which would normally open straight away, this meant that I had to return to obtain a key. This did not take more than 1 minute. Secondly as a graded guesthouse we have to maintain a certain standard of cleanliness which is checked once a cleaner has finished for the day, if this was not up to your requirements I would have appreciated you advising me at that time so that it could be rectified and I can confirm the shower was installed in the last 6 months.Further to the bathroom issues The Waverley had a megaflow installed 18 months ago (the latest system that you can buy) in the situation of no hot water, I can confirm that when all guests are using the water the level will decrease and cold water automatically refills in the tank. The megaflow once refilled takes 15 - 20 minutes to heat the water. In this instance we had potentially 18 guests using the system at the same time but as advised this does refill and reheat. If this occurs we obviously extend booking out time appropriately.
Finally in response to your concerns over breakfast I can confirm our breakfast times are 8 to 9, but we do however appreciate that when highly booked that this will run to 9.30 incorporating cooking times.We have tried many different times over the 11 years experience that we have been running a highly success establishment and found this to be the most appreciated, servicing people who need to leave early and allowing others a later time to lie in before or after breakfast. We have found in the past that if we did not have a stopping time for breakfast then we would be cooking until our booking out time and we were then not able to make rooms available for an early check in. Again should this have been advised to us perhaps we could have made arrangements around your plans. I can only apologise that a table was not available as soon as you walked in the breakfast room but due to the level of guests dining at the same time, table clearing was slightly delayed but you were welcome to wait on the settee for a clear table to become available and your breakfast requirements could then be attended to.
The Waverley does appreciate your points raised, and would have liked the opportunity to address them whilst you were here but hope that this explaination will clear up any concerns.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2011

The hotel itself was good but the owners didnt have any respect for the families that were on the ground floor, as in the late evening we were trying to get the kids asleep but we were unable to, as the owner's were make alot of noise. When we phoned to book we asked how far away they were from the amusements and adventure island, we were told they could hear the amusements from where they are, but when we got there we found that the hotel was 20 minutes walk away from the amusements which was a little far for the kids to walk.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank unknown021
Cherryl72, Owner at The Waverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
I thank you for your review however as stated in our telephone script and advertised on our website and agencies we are a 20 minute walk to the attractions. If this was too far for your requirements then when choosing accommodation this should of been giving a priority to considering the location of your accommodation.
In response to noise levels I can confirm that these are dependant on all guests, staff and family members. Obviously all are requested to keep noise levels to a minimum, however should this have been brought to attention at the time, this could have been addressed or alternative accommodation on the upper floor may have been provided.
The Waverley appreciates constructive critism.
essex
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Is it a hotel or guesthouse confusing! beware of booking you will be told to leave your
card details for the deposit and then will be stung with a 5% fee when you leave.
My booking was very confusing,first I was given one price,then later was told it was wrong.
Again no mention of options to pay to avoid the high fee,I was then emailed to be told that
there were no singles left,but could occupy a double at same price.Only to find on arrival
things had changed again as I was given a single.Beware if you are on holiday and miss
the 7-8am deadline as I was told kids had to be taken to school.Everything was under
lock and key promptly,so don't forget to set your alarm if you are that desperate to stay
here.A professional establishment would leave out juice and cereals until 9am at least!

Room Tip: Disgusted poorly run and bad service.
Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank wootts5
I can confirm The Waverley is a small family run guesthouse and NOT a hotel, therefore as many would appreciate we do not have additional staff but generally run the establishment by ourselves.
Therefore in response to your comments concerning breakfast which yes a cooked breakfast is served during a working week between 7 and 8, I appreciate that this may not have worked with your schedule. I will however confirm that you can occupy the breakfast room for continental up to 8.30 but from then I have to take children to school. I do however return by 9.15 and should you have aired your concerns I would have accommodated you with tea and toast at that time.
I have run the establishment since 2001 and have tried many breakfast times over the years but found that this was most accepted.
I appreciate your comments concerning your booking and can only apologise for any confusion. It would be normal practice to advise of any changes to bookings and if an upgrade was given then no extra cost would be incured to the customer.
Finally as a small accommodation provider, like my fellow neighbours we all charge for the use of credit and debit cards. I do however advise everyone on arrival and it is also noted in our confirmations and on our policy (which is found on all site, our room walls and guest information books). This gives the customer the choice to either pay by card or provide cash at no fee when competing their payment.
Unfortunatley as a small business we do not get any concessions or discounts from the banking industry to aid us and provide encouragement to use this method of payment. Hotels however are able to incorporate their fees into their pricing.
I can only hope that this will explain some the working practices at The Waverley and encourage you to try us again.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Stayed in the waverley for 2 nights in october with partner,daughter and grandson. Fisrt impression about the rooms were very nice, The rooms were clean with ensuite with a very good shower. The view from the room was great outlooking the river thames. The Location was excellant walking only 20 mins and your in the town centre. Just 10 min walk was the adventure island theme park on the pier. The peir costs £3.50 for the tram there and back, or 50p walking there and back. Town Centre was nice all the shops and lots of bargains in some. Eating out in the cafes is alittle exspensive so we went in the pub near the hotel. Ten pin bowling is great fun since we don't have one in blackpool it was a must!! The Waverley was a nice stay both rooms accomadated all our needs and the breakfast there were plenty of choice the only downside was that in our room the bed slanted at the end of the bed so you had to lie in the middle of the bed, We checked the mattress but found that it was the bed base that was the problem. Otherwise The owners were very frendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family