“Great Guest House”

The Waverley Guesthouse
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed at the Waverley Guest House Saturday 10th March 2012 for 1 night whilst attending a friends 50th party at Ocean Beach. Location superb, Room superb, hosts brilliant and the breakfast was great... Highly recommended

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sean H

Reviewed 21 January 2012

booked a budget double, very last minute via bookings.com, very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the room, and although the shower was not en-suite it was immediately next door and only shared with one other room, but must say it was one of the most luxurious shower rooms I have experienced in a b&b at these prices. Cheryl was very welcoming, even though I arrived almost immediately after booking online via smart phone.
Breakfast was very nice, and although I have seen some complaints about the times, as most of the guests staying in the week are contractors/business visitors 7 - 8 seemed fine.
Shall certainly being staying next time in this area.
only downside is a bit of a trek into town, but then is a much quieter area

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank burleydave1004
Cherryl72, Owner at The Waverley Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Thank you David for your positive comments. It is refreshing when we receive this sort of review and gives others a chance to hear of the service that we provide.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, avoid at all coast,

if you like being ripped off . .this is the place to go, lady of the house ,(did i say LADY) will take further payment from your account, after accusing you of something you did in the room, that wasnt true

prove is in the pudding, when i phoned up about the extra cost, she started ranting and raving, before i could get a word in edge ways, thinking i was an other unsatisfied customer, that obviousely had the same problem . .

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED . .
going to suggest laterooms takes them off thier list . .

tip, if you dont know the area, loads of guest houses either side ,of this one, so just get address, and pop along, always vacancies, but avoid this one . .

Room Tip: room ok, owner not
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sorienti
Cherryl72, Owner at The Waverley Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

It is unfortunate to receive reviews like this when guests are unhappy even though they have not followed our policy. In our policy it clearly states we are a 'non smoking' establishment and we pride ourselves to ensure all rooms are clean and aired for forthcoming guests. This can not be achieved however with a linger of smoke where people have not respected our wishes, and it is every guests right to refuse such a room. It is also illegal (against the law).
The Waverley therefore has a cleaning charge (stated in our policy) to cover such events that additional time and additonal cleaning products has to be spent deep cleaning floors/carpets and curtains besides bed linen to ensure that every guest experiences a freshly cleaned and aired room.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

We had booked two supeior double rooms , both beatifully decorated , with stunning views of the sea, very comfortable bed , definetly one of the best rooms for the price we have stayed in , over the years as I found out Steve the owner is a decorator . Breakfast was nice but one slight critiscm Steve , have some brown sauce out , overall there is nothing bad to say about this experience

Room Tip: Book the superior double room
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank allanjswindon
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I can't say anything bad about this place! The owners were lovely, very welcoming. loved our room, and the full english breakfast was great! Will definately be returning!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Well, where do I start. On arrival the owners were not there. We were shown our room by their teenage son stating Mum & Dad will be back shortly. Could'n t find the remote for the TV, asked the son and 20 mins later he showed me where it was. Switched on, No watchable picture. Told would have to watch channel 11 - 15. Shaving light bulb broken, bare elements hanging in the socket( told it would be fixed and not to touch it, in case I got a shock, (yes, I really am that stupid!!!). Shower broken, Had to use one hand to hold the shower head. Crack in the sink. Stain on Carpet. Wall paper coming off by window. Breakfast was a shambles, No Butter Knife, Given Cup & Saucer for Tea with no spoon. Waited an age before asked what we wanted for breakfast and then ended up with something else, ie: 1 grilled Tomatoe & 1 Poached Egg, ended up with a plate of tomatoes and 2 poached eggs. This was the standard throughout the stay. There is a notice on the private quarters door asking guests to respect the family and not to make to much noise, unfortunately this was not reciprocated on two occassions we were disturbed with the clatter and banging of utensils, cups, saucers and glasses late in the evening as the breakfast room was got ready. The final straw was when we came back to the room the day before we left to find that the shower was dismantled. The sink was still cracked and the light still had bare elements, but the shower was dismantled. During the course of our stay the carpet was not hoovered, the bin was only emptied once (when it got to overflowing). All the preserves, Jams etc were in their original jars, therefor enabling anyone to dip their knives in, No toast racks, no decaf coffee, hot chocolate or buscuits in the courtesy trays in the room.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TroggerCornwall
Cherryl72, Owner at The Waverley Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Well where do I start
Thank you for your review, The Waverley always likes to hear constructive cristism and not Nit Picking complaints.
The Waverley has specific booking in times to cover morning and evening guest requirements. Unfortunatley in this instance the owners were not available, however their son kindly tried to help check you in to make you comfortable instead of having to wait.
With regards to some on the maintenance issues (some I cannot agree with), these were discussed during your stay and due to you advising us that your wife is teminally ill (has come to Southend to say good bye due to her short time left) we took this onboard to create a restful environment.
The electrical issues were also discussed and no such comment ' not to touch the light above the sink' was said (I would not insult my guests intelligence), I can confirm these were looked into and have been addressed.
I can advise that an element of noise can be heard from the particular room that you occupied during your stay, however the breakfast area is prepared generally after teatime. Should this have been brought to my attention, I would have been happy to relocate you to another room.
I will apologise, however for giving your wife 2 poached eggs and a whole sliced tomato instead of her order of 1 poached egg and a slice of tomato. I can only take the blame for this as when presenting the breakfast on the plate this looked unsubstantial. I personally decided to provide a further portion.
In response to your comments of using original jars of preserves, I personally feel that presenting this way shows my guests that I do not provided lower quality products. I do however provide small square bowls on the breakfast bar so that guests can take an individual protion. Should there have not been any available at the time you were taking breakfast, I would have been happy to provide additional bowls if I was made aware these had run out.
It is unfortunate that you had a number of issues whilst staying with us, the ones you highlighted we were happy to deal with while you were here and I hope some others I have dealt with here.
It is unfortunate to receive this review as The Waverley tries to make every guest's stay welcoming and comfortable.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

very good very well run B&B. All rooms our clean and relay top class. the women who runs is is bonkers but very nice. The View from my windows is over the sea which was very nice. would go back. breakfast was the best i had in any hotel . 10/10

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family