“Not what we expected!”

The Waverley Guesthouse
Norwich
“Not what we expected!”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We respected the wishes of the owners by not arriving between 2pm and 6pm, which we found rather inconvenient and unusual, however, when we got there at 6.25pm, nobody was there, and the door was locked and there was no answer to their phone. We went away and came back ten minutes later, but still no one was there, and still no answer to our calls. Then I noticed a watering can, with a bit of paper sticking out from it, hey presto it was a key to the door, addressed to us, and saying we were in room 7! Wow what a 4 star welcome! The owners had my mobile phone number, and they could have left us a message if they were not going to be there to greet us, we were told they had called that afternoon, but couldnt get through? I had no missed call, but maybe I was out of signal area - a text message would have got to me at some point? Finding a key, we went in to our room and what a dissappointment.No wardrobes, just a rail just about long enough to hang shirts, with a couple of drawers underneath, so unable to hang my dresses up - and no bedside tables, anywhere in their guest house, apparently its their policy? You can put your cups, clock, glasses etc on the shelves which are also your bed head. Dont lean on your pillows though or you will dip them in your coffee! If you have aching hands, or stiff joints, like me, this policy doesnt work! Also no long mirror, the bathroom one is bigger than the one in the bedroom area. A notice in the hallway asks you to respect the residence and keep the noise down, but this doesnt apply to their own children, who are very present in the guest house, and also linger outside by the gates, and run in and out of the house.
There was a pair of black ladies pants in the shower holder, left by a previous guest. The shower tiles are black so I guess they were not seen by the cleaner? Couldnt bring myself to complain by this time, as I was so upset about it all. We were offered a change of room for the second night, (we were there two nights), but I really couldnt see that it was going to make anything any better. Another strange thing is that on checking our payment receipt, they took our payment from our bank 3 days before we were due to arrive!! I have read some really nice reviews about this guest house, which led me to book it myself, and find it strange that I found it to be how I did. We did try to talk to the owner, but it was a waste of time, she had an answer for everything, unfortunately not one that could help our stay there. I can only say that the prospective guest must draw their own conclusion. Co-incidentially our friends stayed in Pebbles which is next door and their experience was completely different, on comparing notes.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terrie007
Cherryl72, Owner at The Waverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
At The Waverley we always welcome reviews but it is unfortunate when peoples expectations are not met. As discussed with the above guests, their expectation was of a hotel/boutique establishment when I can only reiterate that we are a family run modern guesthouse that if an issue arises and we are advised immediately we will try our best to ensure your stay with us is comfortable.
Furnishings within The Waverley are modern and fitted. We do not have free standing wardrobes and bedside tables but this is a personal choice and The Waverley has been inspected to ensure we meet the correct criteria for accreditation.
As a family run guesthouse my children are present in their home, however the youngest is 10 and has been brought up around the guesthouse knowing how to behave.
I would also like to comment that payment is automatically taken from the card 3 days prior to arrival as stated in our policy with Booking.com, however if you read our policy you would have seen that if you wished to pay on arrival then you could make this request in the comments box. As this was not the case I can confirm that payment was taken. I would stress that all accommodation providers have different payment policies and that before booking you should read the terms and conditions.
I can advise that myself and neighbouring guesthouses strive to the same result of providing accommodation for guests but we all have variations on how to do this, therefore each establishment offers a difference in price, service, presentation, and character. It is unfortunate that The Waverley was not what you were expecting or have experienced before.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My wife, baby and I stayed 2 nights at the Waverley and we had such a wonderful time. Cheryl, Steve and their young daughter were so welcoming , we felt as though we were staying with family.
The room was tidy and and the atmosphere was quite good. Breakfast was satisfying and well prepared. We will definitelly stay there again when visiting the area, God willing. Thanks Cheryl for the lovely and hospitable guesthouse youŕe providing.

Paul

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Zoubida D
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed in April 2011 overnight. Arrival times a little awkward but we were accommodated on our 'out of hours' arrival (330pm) with keys being left out.

We found our own rooms which were perfectly presentable and clean and as we went to find the bar (which on the telephone was sold to offer an honesty policy) was greeted by the owner who 'can't open the bar as I'm unloading shopping'. Fair enough. The halfway house, to the left as you leave the guest house, was a lovely pub offering great food and were able to serve our needs.

Later in the afternoon we returned to the Waverley to prepare for our evening. The bar couldn't be opened again as the family were eating. Again on us leaving for the evening another excuse was made not to open the bar.

Room policies seem a little excessive, with charges made if food or drink are brought in to the room. Unfortunately with no bar and no restaurant it seems chips on the seafront is the only option which wouldn't inconvenience the family in charge.

Having read owners comments but knowing the unavailability of the owners, details are a little difficult to confirm. We were concerned by the 5% surcharge for payment by debit card so would advise all accounts settled in cash.

Recommended for a visit if you're simply using it as a base but wouldn't recommend relying on the hotel amenities. Best to head out.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank MrsMcNeish
Cherryl72, Owner at The Waverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
With regards to your concerns of the bar The Waverley reserves that right of the bar opening times and I can confirm our bar is not open 24 hours a day. Unfortunatley in the instance of the evening access to the bar I can only apologise that family were eating in the bar area the first time you came in, however I did not see you after this event and cannot comment on any additonal times.
I would also like to advise our policy tries to cover all eventualities and if you had seen me to discuss our eating and drinking policy I would of confirmed to you that we ask you not to bring only curries into the rooms as these stain the white bedding and then we have to charge for new ones. We are happy for any other food to be taken into the room and we are happy to welcome you in the bar area to eat takeaway food. We do not charge you for bringing food into the establishment, this must have been misread.
To clafify any additional charges The Waverley will charge if damage is caused in the rooms subject to the situation, keys are lost or not returned (within 7 days) and an additional cleaning cost should evidence of smoking be found in our rooms.It is illegal to smoke in our establishment
I am happy to clarify any other points in our policy should you wish.
The Waverley prides itself in looking after all guests needs and if concerns are raised during the stay we will endeavour to accommodate these to our best ability.
Ossett, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed at the Waverley Guest House Saturday 10th March 2012 for 1 night whilst attending a friends 50th party at Ocean Beach. Location superb, Room superb, hosts brilliant and the breakfast was great... Highly recommended

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sean H
Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2012

booked a budget double, very last minute via bookings.com, very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the room, and although the shower was not en-suite it was immediately next door and only shared with one other room, but must say it was one of the most luxurious shower rooms I have experienced in a b&b at these prices. Cheryl was very welcoming, even though I arrived almost immediately after booking online via smart phone.
Breakfast was very nice, and although I have seen some complaints about the times, as most of the guests staying in the week are contractors/business visitors 7 - 8 seemed fine.
Shall certainly being staying next time in this area.
only downside is a bit of a trek into town, but then is a much quieter area

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank burleydave1004
Cherryl72, Owner at The Waverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Thank you David for your positive comments. It is refreshing when we receive this sort of review and gives others a chance to hear of the service that we provide.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2011

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, avoid at all coast,

if you like being ripped off . .this is the place to go, lady of the house ,(did i say LADY) will take further payment from your account, after accusing you of something you did in the room, that wasnt true

prove is in the pudding, when i phoned up about the extra cost, she started ranting and raving, before i could get a word in edge ways, thinking i was an other unsatisfied customer, that obviousely had the same problem . .

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED . .
going to suggest laterooms takes them off thier list . .

tip, if you dont know the area, loads of guest houses either side ,of this one, so just get address, and pop along, always vacancies, but avoid this one . .

Room Tip: room ok, owner not
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sorienti
Cherryl72, Owner at The Waverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
It is unfortunate to receive reviews like this when guests are unhappy even though they have not followed our policy. In our policy it clearly states we are a 'non smoking' establishment and we pride ourselves to ensure all rooms are clean and aired for forthcoming guests. This can not be achieved however with a linger of smoke where people have not respected our wishes, and it is every guests right to refuse such a room. It is also illegal (against the law).
The Waverley therefore has a cleaning charge (stated in our policy) to cover such events that additional time and additonal cleaning products has to be spent deep cleaning floors/carpets and curtains besides bed linen to ensure that every guest experiences a freshly cleaned and aired room.
swindon
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We had booked two supeior double rooms , both beatifully decorated , with stunning views of the sea, very comfortable bed , definetly one of the best rooms for the price we have stayed in , over the years as I found out Steve the owner is a decorator . Breakfast was nice but one slight critiscm Steve , have some brown sauce out , overall there is nothing bad to say about this experience

Room Tip: Book the superior double room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family