“just as good 2nd time around”

Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 31 January 2013

was very pleased to get a good price via the internet to start off with, then had to change my booking ..all done with no problem at all..room requested was available yay ! ( 101) those who have stayed in it know what I mean ! slight problem with heating , it took a while to warm up and for some reason the flush pressure seemed quite low.. all in all though it did not spoil our night at all.. the bed ooooh so comfy I want one ! the reception staff, waiting staff and bar staff are all very welcoming and genuinely friendly.. brekkie was delicious too you certainly get value for money here. park after 5pm and get the hotel to validate your ticket, we parked from 5pm until 11.56am and it cost us £7.50 brilliant.can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: room 101 has a lot of space and great balcony for the summer, chairs fit outside so able to have a b...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert P, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Dear jennie328

Thank you so much for sharing your comments I really appreciat you taking time to share such an honest overview of the hotel, I too have stayed in room 101 and could not agree more, during the summer evenings just perfect!...

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Palace very soon

Reviewed 28 January 2013

I have just discovered that apparently (according to the Carlson group) i have stayed in this hotel over 100 nights on business in the last 12 month; based on that i feel i should probably write a review.

The staff here are all very welcoming and friendly. The rooms are all of a decent size (seriously i have stayed in most of the double and family rooms with a sea view). i did note that someone previously mentioned about noise from clubs at one end of the hotel, i agree that is an issue on Thursday nights but ask the receptionists which end it is and they will either put you above the 3rd floor where u can barely hear it or the other end of the hotel.

Bar / Restaurant; they are good enough with a fair mix of food for a short stay. Also within a 5 min walk you have pretty much every restaurant that is on every local the high street.

Gym; does exactly what it says on the tin...

On a personal note i have stayed in many of the hotels round here, they all have there problems, some are next to major roads where you get traffic noise all night and others have such thin walls or floors that you can hear drunk clubbers crashing around at 3 am after a night out.
So for me I find this one the most relaxing to chill out in after a long day.

Oh FYI: if you dont book a sea view you will be looking straight at a car park....

Room Tip: when you are stood facing reception, ideally you would want the rooms on the right side of the hotel...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank pd76867

Dear 1 B

Thank you for your feedback "Best Hotel in the Area" for someone who has stayed with us over 100 times I really appreciated your comprehensive feedback on the hotel and I am delighted we cater so well to the needs of our guests both corporate and Leisure, of course it is always so rewarding when the staff are mentioned as my team are the most important asset I have and the recognition for their customer service is what we are all about, so Thank you

We look forward to welcoming back

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2013

I stayed at the Park Inn for one night. The hotel is modern and very clean and my room was huge with a queen size bed which was very comfortable. I had a side view of the sea which was an added bonus. I can imagine that at the height of the summer season, the fun fair opposite the hotel can be a noise nuisance, but thankfully it was closed when I stayed.
Parking is either in the Royals car park opposite the hotel, with which the hotel has a discounted overnight rate, or the public car park about 100 yds away.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Dear cool-dudes-on-tour

Thank you for taking time to send through your review and the photograph of a snow covered Adventure Island!!

I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope you can visit again, maybe to enjoy the sunshine!

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Booked this room last minute half price for just £55, could not fault the room looked liked the the hotel had just been renovated. This also included breakfast but did not make that so cant comment.

Would stay there again next time we are there.

1  Thank HotelInspector2005

Dear Hotelinspector2005

Thank you for your feedback I am pleased you were able to take advantage of our January sale with very competitive room rates being offered throughout the month, I do hope we see you again, we are running promotional activity during the year so please look out for these very special rates

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Arrived in the afternoon before the 10cc concert... :-) beautiful room, huge, lovely shower and services, great breakfast, parking place just in front of the Hotel, nothing looked wrong...until, as I had to make a phone call in UK and didn' t want to use again my italian mobile, I had the bad idea of dialling from the room: 30 seconds ( REPEAT: THIRTY seconds ) for asking another phone number and address, not joking, they charged 5.50 POUNDS...that' s how a 4 stars rate can go to 3. Thanks anyway, the bacon & eggs were lovely...not so much the crew.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank diecicc
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We took advantage of their winter sale and got a non-seaview room on the 2nd floor for £44/night. The room was lovely and the seaside location was superb.

Our room faced the shopping centre's unpleasant carpark behind the hotel. Many reviewers here seem to have received upgrades but we weren't expecting one at the rate we paid.

We stayed in January when the theme park at the front of the hotel was closed. We walked along the promenade from Southend to Old Leigh and back - a very pleasant walk. There's a lovely seafood stand in Old Leigh if you fancy the walk.

Noise: On the east side (ie. left if looking towards sea) of the hotel is Lucy Road which is full of nightclubs. We couldn't hear these clubs from our room but were woken several times by clubbers arriving/returning to theirs cars and playing loud music on sub woofer stereos. This obviously isn't the hotel's fault but is a disadvantage of the back facing rooms on weekends.

The other noise issue was the cleaner who on both mornings left a mobile phone playing music at full volume on their trolley in the corridor in the hallway whilst cleaning rooms. After a night of being woken by car stereos, it was very annoying to be woken by this - couldn't get back to sleep after that. Hopefully the hotel can invest in some earphones for their cleaners.

Breakfast was good except for the bacon which tasted like it'd been there too long or reused. The view from the restaurant is lovely and they have newspapers to read.

Staff were okay - the one who checked us in was a bit awkward. Rather than being welcoming he was more concerned with making it very clear that we wouldn't get a refund if we left early because we were on a sale rate. This is made very clear on their website when booking and it felt a bit like we were being treated as cheapskates. It also made us wonder whether they have a problem with people being dissatisfied and wanting to leave early. But after that experience all the staff were friendly and helpful.

The only other very minor issue for me was that they only supply liquid soap and shower gel. I prefer a bar of soap to wash my face and hands.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We (a family of 4) stayed in one of the spacious family room with a convertible sofa for the kids and a large king size bed. The room was overlooking the sea: fantastic and thanks to reception offer (no extra charge). However, when it comes to windows failure, there we go! The windows were very drafty as the wind started suddenly at night. The en suite bathroom somewhat minuscule and rather annoyed with this excessive security matters: in the corridor all doors from floor to floor are locked and request room-key usage! Do you fear anything?
The breakfast buffet was NOT to the standard of such a quality hotel. The service overall was quite poor.
I feel like with a little bit more effort the hotel would become better. However lovely location, main city pedestrian road for shopper on an easy access and the airport at only 6 mns walk to the train station and 6 mns train from Victoria station to the airport one.
To be recommended.