“Given 4 stars as lovely but BED awful” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea

Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Given 4 stars as lovely but BED awful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Park Inn but will not be coming back.
Our bed was lovely and big looked great, .... awake early hrs with back pain and aching muscles sadly, i think a bed is a very important issue. I have never ever complained about a bed, i like firm beds but this was like rock. I was miserable the next day due to muscles aching and will not be returning for that reason.

Apart from that .... The hotel is clean and the room and bathroom lovely. The restauarant and bar friendly and with a lovely view of the sea.

Great for smokers as you can smoke on the balconies so no need to walk too far from your table.

All lifts were functional and hallways clean and fresh.

The food was very nice and breakfast was lovely too.

There is a car park 5 foot steps from the hotel which costs £15 overnight but if you show your ticket before you leave to reception we were told the car park will be only £5 but when we paid it was £9. So not sure how that came about.

Right next door to town centre, beach, entertainments, cafes, pubs, everything and the local nightclub, literally next door, but we were in a room the other end so only heard some blokes shouting and being sick once as they must have walked near our room the other side.
Overall not a bad stay but i wont be going back, because my back was screaming the next day

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Royal Nightclub. We got a flat pillow each but called room service an...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Robert P, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Pin4apple

Thank you for your feedback I am so sorry you did not enjoy your sleep and found our mattresses too firm, it is such a personal thing, but I completeley understand it is not to everyones liking to have such a firm mattress.

Again I thank you for all the really positive things you had to say about the hotel and the the team

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

went there for 1 night and ended up staying for 2. very large room with an lovely veiw of the sea. staff very friendly and welcoming. when we enquired about staying the second night, gave us a discount. will be going back for a quick get away. fantastic location.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Cottenflower

Thank you for taking time to send through your very kind feedback I am so pleased you enjoyed, and indeed extended your stay and I look forward to return visit!

With kind regards
Dorset Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

Staff very quick & happy to change our room owing to stains on carpet. (stayed in room last week & wasn't there).
Staff also arranged for overhead lights to be fixed next day, even tho we said we didn't use them.
We made error on room number on ordering breakfast, staff very helpful & breakfast was brought quickly when ordered.
Owing to circumstances they allowed us an extension on checking out time of 2pm without any fuss.
Very pleasant stay with helpful staff.

Room Tip: Very quiet, good noise insulation, only disadvantage was air con fan - all night.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear C M

Thank you for your very positive feedback I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed here for a cheeky Halloween night out, room was clean and spacious. Room service was efficient and staff were polite and welcoming. The hotel is within walking distance to the Pier and shops, pubs etc. Room was pretty modern and no problems to report - found the parking too expensive, a shame - especially when you have already paid for a room, discounting parking should be offered at the multistory.
3/4 stars

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer H
Dear Jennifer h

Thank you for your very positive feedback I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us, with regard to parking we do offer a reduced overnight rate for our guests, but I appreciate your comment.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming back to the Palace

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Spent the day down Southend Seafront and popped in here for a drink in their bar as the location was perfect. The hotel i believe is fairly new and would totaly be a place where I would stay when i was next in Southend. Had a really pleasent bar and Bar Staff, young guy that served me was very knowledgable of the area, perfect if you are spending time in the hotel and want to venture out - he also made a great cocktail! :>)

Would recomend this hotel to business associates and friends.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah S
Dear Sarah S

I always enjoy feedback from our non- residents especially when their comments are as positive and well written as yours, thank you so much for taking the time to high light the strength I have within my team and the level of bar service we offer, I have enjoyed a cocktail or two myself in the lounge and would agree with regard the high quality!

stevenage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We booked a weekend in the hotel and despite the cold weather enjoyed our stay very much! Very welcoming staff, at reception, in the restaurant, lovely breakfast and dinner, view over the sea to die for, exceptional experience! The only suggestion I will make to management is to brighten up the bar and restaurant area with decorative plant pots, greenery always bring live and atmosphere to hotels,public places , homes...Otherwise nothing to fault, ticked every box for us...thank you

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mi49mi
Dear mi49mi

Thank you so much for your positive feedback what a joy to read your comments, I do agree that additional planting is needed for the restaurant and lounge area, this has been put forward for future investment

I look forward to welcoming back to the Palace at some time in the not too distant future

With kind regards
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed 5 days on business.
Generally attentive pleasant and helpful staff
Spacious room but totally inadequate heating. Bed firm but comfortable, good quality. Bathrooms a little cramped considering how bigthe bedrooms are.
Excellent free wifi - among the best I've ever experienced and a big plus
Location handily central in Southend
Terribly restricted boring dinner menu, with no real cuisine or chance for chefs to show skill... they didn't even have garlic in the kitchen to season my steak when I asked. Seemed that everrything was from frozen. No leaf veg. No fresh fish: just salmon (farmed frozen) or rainbow trout (farmed frozen) - and this is right on the sea! They don't even make fresh chips but use these pseudo shaped and coated factory frozen efforts. We need a Campaign for Real Chips!!! Spacious, quite impressive dining room but it's near deserted most of the time because no real cuisine to back it up.
OK breakfast except for very watery, tasteless scrambled eggs (why do British hotels dilute scrambled eggs with milk??? - yuk)
Drinkable tea and coffee
Really boring bar which is more of a servery, and, which is very weird, you need to be 10' tall to peer into the bar and see what drinks and beers they have. Very odd.
No parking - you have to use the public multistory across the road which doesn;t take credit cards so you may have to hunt around the shopping centre for an ATM, can be time consuming.

Room Tip: A sea view costs more but the actual view is of a grey sea, long featureless pier, tacky amusement p...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear John Gilmore

Thank you for your positive feedback about my team and the hotel facilities, I am sorry that your experience whilst dining with us was not to your liking. I am pleased to say that our new RBG menu has now been put in to place and I hope this has addressed the concerns you have raised, we realised there was room for improvement within our food offering and I think we have taken on board previous comments from our guests and now provide the type of menu one would expect.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back at some time in the future