“I do like to be beside the seaside”

Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I had a one night stay on a weekend in this fantastically placed hotel only 3mins walk from Southend Central rail station. The staff I encountered were all friendly, the location is directly across from the world famous pier, and a minute’s walk from the High Street. For a grand old seaside hotel the interior has been well maintained. There are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance, and the Casino at Westcliff-on-Sea is only a £6 taxi ride away. My room was on the first floor, with a partial sea view, bright, and very spacious. The usual refreshments are provided (although only two tea bags was a litttle stingy). The room was clean except for the sofa which had seen better days (frayed material and crumbs all over it). For a very small fee the tasty and well stocked light breakfast can be brought to your room. I also have to compliment the bar staff (specifically Dan) who kindly tolerated six very chatty women until 3.30am. My major quibble was with the shower, which was either cold or piping hot despite constant manipulation of the heat control, so showering was an invigorating if frustrating experience.

Room Tip: Ask for room 102 (as long as the shower has been fixed), it’s quiet, has a partial sea view, and is...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea

Reviewed 9 May 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the may bank holiday weekend and had a really good deal paying £50 per night. Our room was on the 4th floor facing the car park, I would have preferred a sea view but it was fairly quiet at the back. The room had everything we needed, it looked a little shabby with marks on the walls and the bed squeaked a lot! You are only provided with one pillow, we asked on the first day for another and were told there were non left, the second day I asked the conceirge Simon and he said he would arrange for pillows to be put in the room but they never materialised. The TV was not the best and could not get all the channels.

Positives! Nice hotel clean and comfortable, breakfast was good but buffet/self service style, great location opposite adventure island and check out is not till 12pm.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Highs - Reception courteous and professional, sea view lovely, room itself clean and very comfortable. Internet connection excellent and tv/lighting/decor all good, although furniture somewhat minimalist.
Lows - Adjoining room door seemingly made of paper with child screaming and crying very early in the morning making sleep impossible!!!!
Step out the shower in the tiny bathroom straight onto the door stop!
Shower glass door insufficient to stop reasonable amount of water going over floor, and also onto bottom of door which was causing the paint to peal and wood to decay.

Room Tip: Make sure there is no door to the adjoining room (seemingly made of paper) unless you like being wok...
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I reached over at 1:30 PM and the receptionist told me that my room is not ready but she kept my luggage.
Southend is an awesome place and the best part of the hotel is location. Just walking distance from Southend central. I was with my wife and kid + luggage so dont want to walk much for the same reason.
We check-in in our room at 3:15. Room was perfect on 4th floor. i have paid 15 pound extra for sea view but its worth. Awesome view of the pier and adventure island. Room was neat and clean, even the washrooms.

(+)ve points:
1. Approach
2. neat and clean
3. view(if paid extra)

(-)ve points:
1. No water to drink, u have to take it from bathroom (this is the worst part), people can purchase it if they inform earlier or else they can serve in room they will charge 2.5 pounds for clean tap water.
2. Outdoor Noise: You can always hear some noise from near by club
3. Indoor noise: There was always a tuk sound on every 2-3-5 min, dnt know from window or from AC vent...
4. Restaurant: I was sitting with my wife & kind and order for a dish to eat with drink but when i got served i got only one pair of knife n fork. The bartender was so busy that he cant attend everyone

Room Tip: Ask for Sea view room bt you need to pay extra. Get a corner room if possible. Carry your own drinki...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed here on the last Saturday of April 2013, in room 408. The room was big, clean and came with a seaview, albeit an oblique one.

The sea facing bar was good and open to the general public.

We didn't stay for breakfast here so can't comment, but walked along the coast and had it in a place called Ocean Beach....very good and right on the beach

Room Tip: We parked in the streets just off the prom further east up the coast and walked back...and why not i...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We arrived around 5pm, but had wait at reception while 'Photo-Shoot' chaps were having an altercation with one of the staff about not having anyone in full uniform that day or the next,He was enquiring if they wanted people to come there, that's when it started to go downhill, we had a very polite receptionist but she said room wasn't ready?? and when phoning housekeeping I had to interrupt as we'd booka a twin, & she'd said double, so we went up to bar to wait. We've always like that view, but not the one we had when arriving in the room: the beds were clean, room as expected, clean,etc., but the walk in shower wasn't clean around the moulding at the bottom & the screen bottom was showing signs of rust? Also one bath towel, so I decided to have our booked evening meal as it was getting late, & inform reception after. We arrived in the restaurant to be called back by barstaff who said "You cannot eat in the restaurant tonight, you have to have your meal in the bar area". I expressed surprise we hadn't been told earlier as it was a special occasion, but they said they were having a photo shoot, although the 2 chaps doing this were in the bar with drinks?? We didn't want to sit at low coffee tables, so moved some chairs to a higher table at far end of this area, and sat, and sat, presuming that as we were dinner guests someone would come over & lay the table, give menus, ask if we wanted drinks. No, we waited and felt perplexed somewhat, but making the best of it.When another couple came & walked into the restaurant, I heard the same thing, so I went over & asked what was the real reason, by then the restaurant manager I believe did come out & gave the reasons again, finishing with 'Sorry about this'. They sat near us, again they went to the bar to order drinks, then, waiters came over and it picked up, so we have no criticism with the meal, although the atmosphere had disappeared. As we paid, the manager came over and gave an apology, but anyone could see the chaps doing photo shoot, having meal in bar, so we went to reception to ask about towels, which when I asked if it was standard practise for one night stay, to have one towel, a little communication problem occured I think, as the young lady said 'yes' but did we want more, so I said yes, & quite quickly we received 3 towels from the housekeeping staff?? The morning shower was a surprise too, it just poured like a leaky pipe, whatever we tried, and we gave up, and strangely enough, when we'd decided to have breakfast, we half expected what happened, the window aisle tables were out of bounds (because of photo shoot we again were told) although the 2 photographers came into breakfast after us.Some other foreign visitors were as perplexed as us, one gentleman getting quite annoyed, and only one young lady had a lovely smile, which I complimented her upon. All in all we weren't surprised that at no time were we asked if we were ok, satisfied, etc., even on checking out. Just a polite farewell would have been nice. Even there, we could hear arguments amongst the staff, which like our check-in time, should be in private, and away from guests.We have just stayed at a family run hotel in Suffolk, being refurbished, BUT, staff there made us feel welcome, went out of their way to be of assistance, nothing was too much trouble, and we will go back & recommend, but sorry Palace, you're having problems with communication between staff, and senior staff and it shows.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple