“Overnight stay only, Thankfully.....”

Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
London UK
“Overnight stay only, Thankfully.....”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Apart from the central location of this Hotel, there really wasn't any other positives.
My feedback is as follows:
On arrival I noticed the reception carpet was of good quality but hadn't been cleaned and therefore looked shabby. The music was a little too loud which made it difficult to communicate with the reception staff. A nearby table had a display of items which was meant to convey they took bookings for weddings. However it just looked cheap and tacky.
There was beautiful wooden flooring but as per the reception carpet it hadn't been maintained and was badly scratched. The hallways to the hotel rooms were dimly lit and had odd pictures on display (what do policemen have to do with Southend?, better to have local pictures maybe the famous pier?)
The room. Walls were all scuffed with dirty marks and could have benefitted from a repaint, the carpet certainly hadn't been hoovered as I found hair clips and other debris. The cover at the foot of the bed was disgusting, so much so I dumped it in the corner. The armchair was of really poor quality and was worn and shabby.
I was hoping the breakfast the next morning would be better. It wasn't. It was help yourself style and the food was of low quality. Putting cheap jam into a fancy large jar doesn't make it any tastier.
The staff in the dining room also lacked any basic customer service skills. I asked was tea selection was available only to be told "oh, we only have tetley, no flavoured no". On leaving the hotel I noticed a poster in the lift which stated they had a large range of teas available. Training issue or someone who didn't care?
The other staff in the dining room kept approaching us to remove our plates, at one point her hand was on the plate before I had even ad the chance to say "no I am not finished".
On leaving the hotel we asked for a receipt and was told the paper had run out on the till or it was broken, so this again delayed us and was another example of poor service.
The Hotel could be lovely, but clearly hasn't been maintained or had any kind of thought from a customer viewpoint.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ellroy1962

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Turkish first
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

stayed here for one night on business. Arrived early and was allowed to leave my bags. Receptionist really helpful in explaining how we get to the car park opposite via the Southend one way system. Rooms spacious and comfortable and a good temperature once i worked out where the air con control was. Shower only and it did leak onto the floor in the corner of the bathroom and some of the grouting was a bit black. Bed very comfy. Breakfast good and again staff really welcoming and helpful. Hotel is well situated for sea front and the main town and it did not find it noisy at all, apart from the howling wind outside. Did not try room service or gym so cannot comment. On the basis of this visit would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This hotel is in an almost perfect location for tourists - right on the seafront just a few hundred yards from the theme park and beach. The only issue in terms of location is the nightclubs just down the road - you won't hear any noise but party goers do walk past the hotel on the way to the clubs.

On arrival I was given the wrong key card. When I went back down to reception the staff were too busy chatting in the back office to notice me standing at the desk, which didn't go down too well.

When I eventually did get into my room, it was surprisingly nice - clean, bright and comfortable. The air-con worked a dream and the water pressure in the shower was perfect. The facilities in the room are what you would expect - TV with freeview channels, safe etc. The wi-fi in the room was locked and no password was provided, which was annoying.

The restaurant is decent enough. Breakfast was an average fry-up which was perfect for me, but nothing to shout about. Overall the hotel is on the high end of average, but you can't beat the location so it's perfect for a weekend away by the sea-side.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Stewart W
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

To start things off, I think I should mention that I stayed on the property for 100+ nights over the course of 2013 due to business reasons. This then be a more give a more consistent review as I will judge my entire stay in one go and not as influenced by incidents as others might be.

Rooms: The rooms on the Seaside front are quite spacious. As most of the rooms on that side are family rooms, there is more than enough space for me to store my items. The rooms were always well tidied and the beds well made when I got to my accommodation. The mattresses are firm and I do prefer softer mattresses, but I never had any problems sleeping in them. I was also never disturbed by any inside or outside noise, even by the Adventure Island just on the opposite side of the road. The distance between the bed and the TV is quite large in the room I had (519), which made it difficult for the remote to properly give signal to the television when I wanted to change the channel from the bed.

The family room I had most of the time had:
A double bed
A pull-out sofa bed
An extra chair to go with the sofa
A table with two chairs
A work desk with an additional chair
TV and Remote
Tea and Coffee set

What I would have liked for the room to also have:
A fridge / Minibar
Iron and Ironing board as standard (Always got one when I asked for one afterwards)
Wardrobe

The food.
The evening meals were all quite delicious, as I over the course of my stay had a sampling of more or less all of them. The restaurant will at times also serve weekly specials which was always welcome as I welcomed the flavour of something new.
The breakfast however did not meet up to those standards. They serve roasted potatoes instead of hash browns and the time the sausages, bacon and mushrooms had been cooked would vary from day to day. The continental selection is also not very varied. A few jams, cheese, ham, salami and a few cucumbers and tomatoes. They also have some cereals, but I have never been much of a cereal person.

The service
The service at the Park Inn Palace never let me down. The reception staff would recognise me when I entered the lobby, greet me by my name and have my reservation already half-way booked, just waiting for my signature upon arrival to make the checking process has hassle free as possible for me. They would also ensure that any problems with my room was fixed as soon as possible. All the staff did what they could for me to feel at home when I was away from home.

One final note: Phone reception is quite reduced wile in the building. I was unable to get reception wile in a Seaside room on the 5th floor from both Orange and 3. I did manage to get some signal on my O2 phone. The staff is aware of this, but it is an external issue which relies on the phone companies rather than the hotel.

Room Tip: 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor Seaside rooms have balconies. 5th floor have larger, family sized rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank KatnMort
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

we chose this hotel as i loved the old victorian look on the photos and i was not disappointed. the outside is stunning but inside it all renovated but still not taking the effect away. our room was a nice size with a sea view looking on to the park and beach. the hotel staff freindly and overall stay good. only bad point and no fault of hotels i stress to add, we had a hen partys next to us and it was noisy at night but they calmed down at 3 am and i guess everyone gots to enjoy there last night of freedom. will defiently stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Having spent 2 nights here the room was excellent and the reception staff very helpful and efficient.

Also the staff at breakfast helpful and understanding with good customer care skills and I would stay at this hotel

Well done to all and thank you for a pleasant stay

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
uk
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I still love this hotel as much as I did last time - it's a great example of a classic big old Victorian seaside hotel which has been brought up to date in a very tasteful way. This time I had a much, much smaller room than last time (even though I paid about the same) BUT it had a sea view! I was directly facing the pier and had a great view out to sea and er.. the Isle of Grain with its assorted refineries and container ports. OK, so it's not exactly Venice, and the December wind was howling in through the side of the window, but once the aircon was on, it was a lovely warm room and a good place to relax.

The only thing I didn't like this time was the breakfast which seemed to have rather a poor selection of stuff, especially if you didn't fancy the full English. Nevertheless, the breakfast room has a great view out over the pier and most of the staff are helpful enough.

The atmosphere wasn't as good within the hotel as last time, and I can only put that down to the time of year. December is not the best time to go the the English seaside, let's face it. But I will always make this hotel my first choice if I find myself in Southend for any reason.

Room Tip: Rooms vary greatly in size (as shown by the fire escape plan.) So it may be worth checking how much...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business