“One of the best hotels in Southend”

Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
London, United Kingdom
“One of the best hotels in Southend”
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We stayed with our young son and some family friends. It was a lovely hotel, friendly staff and a nice breakfast. The rooms were smaller than expected, but in very good condition. We had a lovely seaview. The hotel is very close to the shopping centre and also the seafront. In fact, I will be planning another trip there very soon with my family.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Turkish first
Norwich
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Very long check in procedure - only two working desks at most; hence delays with check in and check out; I have significant query regarding pricing: on phone I was offered high price initially, then after longish conversations it dropped down from .... 220£ to 135£ per night and after some more conversation (I was looking at hotel's web page and pricing offer) it dropped down again to ... 119£. Similar situation was with late check out: one person told me about 40£, next day - another person told me about 45£ and again - after conversation it dropped down to 40£. Because of this I am going to make a formal complaint. Other than that - nice location, view (if you are polite to staff), nice spacious rooms, new, comfy beds.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Wickford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2010

my sister and i took our mum to this hotel for her 7oth birthday. we had a great time. room was really nice, hotel had a good atmosphere. breakfast was very good. we would stay again.

• Stayed September 2010
Colchester, Essex United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2010

This newly refurbished Hotel has the potential to be a really great Hotel. It has been open since March 2010 but has obviously not ironed out all it's teething problems. When we arrived the receptionist could not find my booking, this was a bit worrying as I had booked a special (£59) room rate direct with the Park Inn website and so I thought had paid up front as per the terms and conditions of the room rate. Any way the problem was resolved after about 20-30 minute anxious wait by the Hotel Manager and to be fair we were given a seaview room which was huge (room 102)
The room was spotlessly clean, the bed huge and my daughter slept on a large fold down bed settee. The T.V was really good with quite a few channels and the room very stylish with lovely artwork and beautiful soft furnishings. Our room even had a balcony which was great, sipping a G&T and watching the world go by!
The shower was a massive walk in type and it may have been my imagination, but I think the air con was blowing scented air.
We did not eat at the hotel, but had a nightcap in the bar before going to bed and I had a nosey around the restaurant, the bar overlooks the sea and is very stylish in it's design.
I had no problems hooking up to the free Wi-Fi either.
The hotel has an NCP car park opposite and the overnight charge is £5 from after 5pm to 9am.
I am considering going back to this hotel later in the year and I just hope they manage to sort out some of the computer glitches by then, to be fair the Receptionists were very proffessional and polite considering how miffed I was because I thought I was being charged for the room twice (I wasn't and they did get back to me as promised)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauren K
Nottingham
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Stayed at the newly refurbished Park Inn Palace Southend for the Bank Holiday weekend and was extremely impressed with this hotel. We were advised by the taxi driver that it was a 'DSS hotel' until recently but underwent extensive renovations by the Park Inn group who must have spent millions on it's renovation to it's former glory. This fine Victorian building has been very tastefully decorated and the rooms finished in simple but effective designs. The mix of contemorary historic with modern design works wonderfully and it is a pleasure to see these historic buildings brought back into life. The reception area is bright and welcoming, and once you realise that you cannot use the lifts or move round the corridors without your room card you realise that security for the residence is a priority. The lounge/bar area adjoins the dinning rooms overlooking Southend pier and the Thames, with the fairgrond attractions lighting up the foreground. The rooms are airy and well appointed and the business rooms we had were large enough to stage a tea party. The bed was large and firm and all fixtures and fittings of a high standard. Air conditioning worked a treat and the LCD TV with mutilple channels was impressive. The whole experience was topped off with excellent, helpful staff who went out their way to help everyone. Nothing was too much. A credit to their company and training. The Park Inn is located in the centre of Southend with everything in short walking distance, so transport would rarely be needed. Car parking however is off site in the Royals Shopping centre, but the hotel does offer a discounted ticket for longer stays. We paid £13 for 24 hours, which we felt is reasonable. Having stayed at other B & B's around Southend and Westcliffe areas I can truely say this hotel is well worth the few extra £ per stay, and if you book early enough it's cheaper than most respectable B & Bs. Wholeheartedly would recomemnd this to all my friends, and my Mum!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Fingers_Pete
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Stayed in an executive room that was bigger and worked out slightly cheaper which included an iron with board, bathrobe, slippers, hairdryer (faulty) and complimentary water. The ensuite shower is great. Breakfast also included which was buffet style and plentiful. Reported a couple of things wrong with the room and hopefully these will be addressed by the management for the next customer. Hotel in best position to easily access both the seafront and shopping centre. Used the Royals shopping car park directly opposite for which the hotel has an arrangement with for overnight parking - cost us £23 from Friday 3:30pm until Sunday 11:30 am. The new owners claim that it has been refurbished to it's former glory - but only in as much that the building has been reinstated as an attractive hotel. It is ultra modern with lots of colour, which is great but personally, I would have liked it to be in a more traditional style in keeping with the building itself - it's like old meets new but glad it's back in use properley after years of neglect.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Simon E, Front Office Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea, responded to this review, 25 January 2017
Thank you for your kind words, we're really pleased you enjoyed your visit to the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon
Cork
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Stayed there recently as attending a family wedding nearby. I booked well in advance and so got a very good deal. I was delighted with the standard of the accomodation, very spacious and very new and comfortable. The staff on the reception was very friendly and professional. Unfortunately the hotel does not have parking facilities but a good deal is available for overnight parking in the car park opposite the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family