“Solid Southend Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
London, England
“Solid Southend Hotel”
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Stayed here over Christmas with my partner. Complained about initial room allocation and was switched to a fab room - sea views, wraparound balcony and enormous! Comfortable beds, clean, pleasant staff, great bar to have an end of evening drink in. Also, the gym's well equipped and clean too. One quibble - the room was so big it took ages to heat - around an hour. We'll be back though - this is still the best hotel in Southend.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Turkish first
Westcliff on Sea
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Although I didn't actually stay at the hotel, we went there for a work Christmas lunch. When we arrived we went to the bar for a drink and it took nearly half an hour to get four drinks even though there were only seven people in the bar aat the time! When the drinks came they were not what we had ordered and we had to send them back to get them changed!! Although the actual facilities of the hotel are very clean and modern, they could be a bit more plush given the quality of the actual original building. The worst part of the day was the Christmas lunch. Our party was around 40 people and there was only one man serving vegetables to us!! By the time I got my vegetables, which by the way consisted of one potato one brussels sprout and a tiny piece of carrot, the whole dinner was cold, so I called the waitress over and ask her to take it back to the kitchen and warm it in the microwave for 2 minutes. 10 minutes later, most of the people at my table had finished eating and I still had no Christmas lunch! I asked a waitress again and eventually I was brought up another plate of turkey. By this time, the one man serving vegetables was still serving on another table so I started eating my turkey for fear it would get cold again. Eventually I was brought more vegetables, but by then was pretty much finished eating the turkey. Dessert was a similar experience- While they were serving cheesecake to people they left a whole tray of Christmas pudding on the side to get cold! I did complain to the restaurant manager and he did apologise for my bad experience and admit it was not acceptable, however by this time I was so disappointed that an apology was not enough to make up for the situation. I certainly shan't be going back to the Palace Hotel until they can sort out the atrocious service. Both the bar and the restaurant seem to be extremely badly managed and it's not the fault of individual staff, rather the setup they operate and the lack of management and direction.

• Stayed December 2010
ParkInnPalace, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea, responded to this review, 23 December 2010
Dear Westcliff-Guy,
First of all i would like to thank you for reviewing your experience on Tripadvisor, without your comments we will not be able to review our services and product.

I am very disappointed that you had a bad experience in the hotel which definately not a reflection on our services and product. During the afternoon we have dealt with the issue Immediately and was only effecting a small part of your total group, we brought out new dishes which were all inspected by myself.
All plates are hot when they leave the kitchen for service. As we do not want to overload the plates with vegetables we always do an after service which you received on the night. As I was present on the day I can confirm that there were 4 waiters for your room and you were served by 2 waiters at all times.

Unfortunately due to some employees calling in sick we had to improvise and unfortunately refelected in a poor service. I have addressed your bad experience to the department involved and worked out an improvement plan.

I sincerely hope you give us a second chance and come back to the Park Inn Palace to enjoy our courteous service.

Kind Regards,
Roderick Smith
Park Inn Palace

Travellers are raving about these Southend-on-Sea hotels

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2010

My second stay at the Park Inn. I think this is the most modern hotel in Southend, and is my preferred place to stay when in Southend on business (booked via our travel company).
Good things include the large rooms, cleanliness and gym facilities. The staff were friendly and polite.
On the other hand, there were some things which if I were nitpicking I would like to change:
- Despite the large bedrooms, the bathrooms are tiny, and I found that water from the shower went everywhere. Also there is no ventilation so it gets very steamy.
- The need to use your card to get through all doors in the hotel. To get to my room I had to use it in the lifts and 2 connecting doors. Seems a bit over the top!
- My room was freezing and took ages to warm up. The problem was that the air con unit was switched off during the day (you need the room key in the slot for it to operate), and in this weather that makes for a cold bedroom! I rang reception to report this but was told to "give it an hour to warm up" - not very satisfactory for me.
- At breakfast, I left my table to get some fruit after finishing my cereal. By the time I got back to my table, my drink and yoghurt had been cleared and some different people were sitting there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Well, having been there for a conference, there were a couple of issues that cropped up. Firstly the bar shut relatively early on a Saturday night, without the provision for being able to order drinks to your own room after this time.

Rooms were clean, but nothing too special which for the price is to be expected. With any issues there were, staff were helpful, polite and did their best. What is needed is a service where during conferences that alcohol can be purchased all night, and not have a cut off time, even if it is just through room service!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter9001
Harlow
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Overall excellent stay. Got a "deal" on a seaview room but initial room was vey poor. Complained politely and got moved to great room without any problem. Service at bar a bit slow apart from that I would strongly recommend. Discount on parking opposite brings cost down from £15 to £6.50. They are really trying to improve Southend and we need to support it!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank carolevegas
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Very good hotel nice and moden big rooms, not a tiny premier inn!
Exellent staff - i requested 2 extra pillows and they were delivered in 15 minutes.
Breakfast buffet good but slow refilling would be the only bad point of the stay.
will be going back in the future

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hedgehogharvey
London
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I stayed at the Park Inn Palace a little while ago. We booked online and got a good deal.
We took the train from London which took 45 minutes and is a nice journey. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the train station.
What a refreshing hotel in Southend and it is nice to see they have brought the old Palace building to life again.
Check in was smooth and receptionist was friendly. Our room was super large, much larger than an average 3* hotel. Beds very comfy and very much enjoyed the sea view from the room when waking up the next day. Coffee and tea making facilities in the room, which is a nice touch.
We had dinner in the Restaurant and good menu choice especially the daily fish specials! After dinner we had some cocktails in the bar admiring the views over the pier.
Breakfast the next day again better than I ever had in any 3* hotel. There was lots of choice and the coffee was very good.
After check out we had a stroll along the beach and walked up the pier and went shopping, the hotel has a perfect location for it.
Overall, very friendly staff. I liked the decor of the hotel, very modern with some quirky pictures on the walls. Large and comfortable rooms, will definitely be back for a weekend break!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple