See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Do not stay in this guesthouse! On arrival we were greeted by a very rude lady who seemed to be the manager! The customer service was appoling, very blunt and extremely unwelcoming! House stunk of cigarette smoke also when we arrived back late at night smelted strongly of weed! Curtains had blood stains, beds had unrine and grease on them! Bathroom had strong odours coming from drain pipes! Two single beds to make a double! Frigde was mouldly and smelt rotten! No cards accepted even though we was told they would on booking! No breakfast when advertised to be a b&b! Window wouldnt close which is a huge security risk as was on ground floor! When complaining lady couldn't care less! Basically said what do you expect for £40 a night! All in all the worst place I have ever stayed!

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank Nat-hammond
Reviewed 29 September 2011

my name is dave i work away from home alot so stay in lots b & b, bensons was found to be very clean,staff friendly,very good budget hotel .

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Do not stay at this flea pit as its disgusting . We complained to the manager who didnt give a toss . The beds had urine stains on them and the carpet was disgusting . There was a Turkish guy on duty who couldnt speak a word of English . The owners word when I complained was he didnt care who I complained to !!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank AlenRoberts
Reviewed 22 August 2011

For the last 4 years we have been going to stay at the bensons guest house in southend on sea. The rooms are to a good standard and the lady of the house (angela) is a fantastic friendly host. The location of the guest house is excellent with surrounding amenities and it has a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
A big thank you to the lady of the house in helping us on our travels home, definatly will be back next year x

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Stayed one night in a twin room (on my own). Staff were friendly enough and the room was an okay size. There was no wardrobe in the room and nowhere to store/hang clothes.

The smoke detector was covered up to stop it working.

The separate toilet/shower room was extremely small and I could hardly move to wash properly in the shower (and I'm quite slim).

Overall, given the price (£20) it provided what I needed.

• Stayed: August 2011