See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I stayed at Bensons Guest House overnight whilst visiting family in Southend. I found my en-suite room to be very clean and comfortable. Although breakfast is not provided I was aware of this before arriving and was recommended a fantasic cafe around the corner who provided a discount for customers staying at Bensons. The Manager was very friendly and accomodating, even providing us with her own plates and cutlery when we came back with a takeaway in the evening (this included cutlery suitable for my 3 yr old daughter). I can completely understand the need to pay in advance as there are many unscrupulous people who may try to leave without paying and having viewed the room before you pay you make the choice before you hand over your money surely? I very much enjoyed my stay here and would certainly return next time I visit my family as it is well situated close to the seafront making a peak season visit to Adventure Island, the Sealife Centre etc with my daughter!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Sara K
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Just got back from bensons today and was not happy at all. The place as i only could describe it is a dirty pit of blood and urine. We have showered twice since getting home. First as we were walking up to the b&b we could see rubbish bags overflowing outside the entrance. As we entered the property we was hit with the very strong smell of cigarette smoke. We was asked to pay upfront, we expected to pay by card as they said we could on the phone and the website but was told they dont have a card machine and was cash only. The bathroom was tiny and the toilet seat was broken but that was the least of our worries. We paid for a double but the bed was 2 singles pushed together. The mattress was so dirty that we could see urine stains through the sheet, our friends bed was so bad he slept in the car. The carpets and wall (see pic) had sick stains and god knows what else which made the room stink. The curtains had blood on them (see pic). To top it off it advertises outside to be a bed and breakfeast but doesn't serve breakfeast and we only found this out when we arrived, not that we would have eaten there anyway! We complained to the lady of the house and she didnt care one bit. We will never be staying there again and we will be taking it up with trading standards, the place should be closed down !!!DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Huskybites
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Do not stay in this guesthouse! On arrival we were greeted by a very rude lady who seemed to be the manager! The customer service was appoling, very blunt and extremely unwelcoming! House stunk of cigarette smoke also when we arrived back late at night smelted strongly of weed! Curtains had blood stains, beds had unrine and grease on them! Bathroom had strong odours coming from drain pipes! Two single beds to make a double! Frigde was mouldly and smelt rotten! No cards accepted even though we was told they would on booking! No breakfast when advertised to be a b&b! Window wouldnt close which is a huge security risk as was on ground floor! When complaining lady couldn't care less! Basically said what do you expect for £40 a night! All in all the worst place I have ever stayed!

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank Nat-hammond
Reviewed 29 September 2011

my name is dave i work away from home alot so stay in lots b & b, bensons was found to be very clean,staff friendly,very good budget hotel .

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Do not stay at this flea pit as its disgusting . We complained to the manager who didnt give a toss . The beds had urine stains on them and the carpet was disgusting . There was a Turkish guy on duty who couldnt speak a word of English . The owners word when I complained was he didnt care who I complained to !!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business