“Food nice but disappointed with waitress”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chiang Mai Thai

Chiang Mai Thai
Ranked #420 of 643 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food nice but disappointed with waitress”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I had a lovely yellow chicken curry.. food was all good and everything until the end of our meal.
We origanlly asked to go for the £16 buffet, but we all have one plate each and that was plenty enough, had starter also, and we saw on the back of the menu a special ' £8.95 for 1 starter, 1 main and 1 rice' which we all had so we said can we change it to that please.. and then she got the hump? But it worked out cheaper... why would we wanna pay for something we're not going to have? So by this time the waitress was annoyed,
We then got the bill and was overcharged by £11 and when we confronted the waitress about this she got even more pissed off?! So she then changed the bill to the proper price, she started clearing up our table and accidently knocked water all over me, had half a cup in there mind you, so I was really wet, she didnt say sorry!! And didnt offer tissue or anything!! So I had to ask for tissue, which did naff all! Then she started mumbling stuff under her breath.. i know its water at the end of the day but that's not the point! She didn't say sorry or anything?!?! Very very rude.. don't think I'll be going back.

1 Thank Tara K

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Staff nice, food awful-avoid if you have any taste”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We went for the 'eat as much as you like' for 16quid option - there is no way the food was anywhere near good enough to command that price. The 'Thai experience' starter consisted of chewy chicken on sticks, deep fried broccoli, mushroom & carrot, greasy battered prawns and the most flavourless prawn toast I've ever had. All the main courses were so bland and just tasted cheap and nasty-like a Tesco value microwave meal. It makes me angry that the people who work there obviously know the food is awful but still serve it up; they can't have any pride in their restaurant. If you're going for the £4.95 special, you can't really go wrong-you'd get what you pay for! Avoid and head elsewhere.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Essex T
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Yellow Chicken Curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Add a chicken yellow curry with a side of rice or noddles with your order and you will not be disappointed! Ordered this dish repeatedly for 5 years!! 10/10

• Visited February 2014
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Great vfm and excellent food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I go maybe once a month or so to this restaurant at lunchtimes and it is exceptional value for money for the set lunch. I usually have Tom Kha Gi, Thai Red Curry and coconut ice cream - for £4.95 + 10% service charge! That's ridiculously cheap. And the food is wonderful. Can't rate it highly enough.

• Visited October 2013
London
“Delicious Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

I've been enjoying the amazing Thai food here for the last 17 years and happily make the 30 minute journey to get there so I guess that speaks volumes.
Authentic Thai cuisine served in a quaint little restaurant by wonderful, friendly staff. What more could you want?

• Visited September 2013