“Excellent”

Holiday Inn Southend
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Lovely hotel . Apart from the parking which is a pain. Food great, rooms lovely. Staff really good.
Would highly recomend. The restaurant on the top floor is lovely with a great bar. Really good TV in the rooms and wifi which you can also negotiate for free.

Room Tip: Negotiate a corner room. They are really good.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank cliff t
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay. The car parking is discounted for our guests and compared to other airport hotels is very reasonable.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

We went to this hotel for lunch. The food was good and so was the view, but the service can improve, after ordering our drinks we waited 15 minutes, and asked the waiter where are our drinks, he checked with the bar and came back saying that the barman had mislaid the tab. A good waiter would have been asking the bar where the drinks were after 5 minutes.
We will try again, and if the service does not improve, I will tell you all.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for your feedback about your recent visit for lunch. I was delighted to learn that you thought the food and views were good. I apologise for the delayed drinks service and trust that you will not be put off visiting again in the future.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

I find it galling that when I telephoned to book a table in the restaurant, I was informed that calls cost 10p. per minute, which I think is totally unacceptable. I do not want to be ripped off just so that I can make a booking in their restaurant. Also, the call was answered by Intercontinental Group, NOT the Holiday Inn. So I had to give the name of the hotel I wanted to ring, and was then given a Southend telephone number. - TWO phone calls to make a restaurant reservation. When I phoned that number and got reservations, I asked for the restaurant. When the phone was picked up again, I was asked did I want to book a room, I told them I wanted to book a table in the restaurant, so was transferred again. When I finally got through, they said they were fully booked. All that - and not to even get a table. Not to worry though, as after reading the review written by Lorna, I shall not even TRY to eat in their restaurant.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Susan M

Thank you for your feedback regarding the experience you had trying to make a restaurant reservation. The number listed here is the IHG - Holiday Inn generic call line and now that we are open i will try to get this changed to our local telephone number 01702 543001.
Our restaurant has proved to be very popular in the short time we have been open serving over 2000 non hotel guests since opening. It is true to say that we have experienced some teething issues not least partly due to the popularity of the restaurant and having to recruit more new staff rather quickly. we are improving all the time and I do hope you may consider visiting the restaurant in the near future.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed recently for 3 nights at the Holiday Inn Hotel, and thought it would be nice to have a meal at the Restaurant there, how we wish we had gone elsewhere! We booked for a meal for 9pm on Saturday evening, and although they had a few large parties in, they had obviously finished most of their meals by the time we sat down. We were still waiting for our ordered food at 10pm, and finally a Waiter came up to us and informed us that we would have to wait for another 20mins as their was only one Chef! He took our bit of remaining bread away, and said he would bring more fresh bread, but it never happened. Free drinks were promised, but 30 mins later only one appeared at the table! Eventually our food arrived,although it looked nice, we were just too tired to enjoy it . All in all very disappointed with the service there. Would definately not recommend it nor would we rush back!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Thank you for taking time and trouble to leave feedback regarding your restaurant experience whilst staying with us. Friday and Saturday are proving very popular in restaurant and whilst busy this should not be an excuse and I would like to apologise for the delay in service. As a relatively new business we are still making improvements and the team gain confidence every day. I do hope that you visit again perhaps in the New Year when we have ironed out all of our teething issues and enjoy the food and service we would like to deliver consistently.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed here one night prior to a flight to Dublin and it is literally a stone's throw from the terminal.
The hotel is new (October 2012), clean, fresh and modern. We took the train to Southend from London and walked to this hotel.
Our room was quiet and clean. Beds are comfortable. Being directly next to the runway, we heard no plane noise at all. Wifi is not free here.
The bar and restaurant are on the upper floor and is a very nice area to relax over cocktails.
All of the staff was warm and helpful.
We walked to the McDonald's next door for breakfast as a frugal alternative.
We did not eat in the dining room here but did have drinks and a burger at the bar and that was quite nice and service was good.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

I was delighted to learn that you have had a great stay. The hotel is very convenient for onward travel for airport related business. I hope next time you might try a meal in the restaurant, serving traditional foods with a modern twist or perhaps full English or continental breakfast with the great variety of over 100 items on the all you can eat buffet. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

We booked a table for 5 at 20.00 some time ago, a couple of weeks ago the restraurant phoned to ask if they could put us back to 20.30 as they had a large party in that night and wanted to ensure we had good service, we agreed - unfortunately the good service promised did not happen! We did not get shown to our table till 20.40, were kept waiting a very long time before asked if we wanted a drink, then even longer before our order was taken. It must have been almost an hour after we sat down that we got our starters. Four out of the five were ok, but one of our party ordered the Sauteed mushroom & artichoke starter, there were no artichokes at all and the mushrooms were full of grit, it was quickly sent back, and although offered another starter my friend declined as it would take too long! There was another very long wait before our mains arrived, three people ordered off the bistro section and were happy, except one ordered Fish N Chips but was not even asked if they wanted mushy peas or not. The pea risotto left alot to be desired and the Salmon Nicoise Salad was extremely disappointing, a very small piece of salmon on what seemed like a whole pack of leaves and next to no french dressing, it certainly was the dearest salad at £12.95 that I have ever had!! Overall a very disappointing evening. We felt sorry for the waiting staff as you could clearly see around the restraurant that other people were complaining. We paid the bill at 22.48 having decided not to wait any longer for a dessert as this would have taken us nearer to midnight!!!
If the kitchen cannot cope with a very full restraurant and a large party then they should not take so many bookings. We did get 50% deducted off our food bill, which was a nice gesture but unfortunately the damage is done and it would require alot more positive reviews to entice us back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lorna M
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your recent restaurant experience. This was indeed our busiest night to date in the restaurant since opening in October and would like to apologise for the shortcomings you experienced. Your comments regarding the food have been noted and we will work hard to improve the food and service particularly when we are so busy. I am pleased you appreciated the discount given and hope that you have not been put off trying us again in the future when we have had more time to settle into our new building.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Me and my other friends came to your restaurant tonight to have good time and enjoy our meal that WAS NOT THE CASE 1. The service was terrible we waited 50 for our starter 2. Then we waited 55mins before our main meal 3. Then 30mins for our dessert which was not nice at all 4. There was no music in the back ground me and my other friends will never come back to your restaurant every again the money we spent tonight it was not worth it i could better that so called chef he or she needs to go back to school and learn to cook and i am going to tell all my other friends not to come to your restaurant

Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Malloca

Thank you for taking the time and trouble in letting us know about your experience. I would like to apologise that our standard of food and service was not up to our usual levels of service. The hotel and restaurant are still relatively new and this was our busiest night so far. We did indeed have a number of tables experience some waiting and quality issues where the kitchen team were trying to speed up making some mistakes. I do hope that you may reconsider giving us another try in the future so that we may be able to change your perception of us - perhaps in the new year when we will be a little more experienced and all teething issues are ironed out.