“Stay here often, always comfortable”

Holiday Inn Southend
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Have stayed here many times now since it opened and I've always had a good stay. Rooms are nice - modern style, well spaced out, decent flat screen TV. Small ironing board in the wardrobe and shower gel/shampoo provided in the bathroom. Worth noting that the heating can be cranked up nice and high in the rooms, which has been needed on some of the cold winter days I've been here.
Check in and out has always been polite and quick. All staff have always been helpful so far.

Gym is small but well equipped - free weights, cross trainers, treadmills and spinning bikes.

Bar is modern style and friendly, although quite small and limited seating, and has nice view overlooking the airport. Sport is usually on the TV, but only ever at a low volume, so not intrusive if you are meeting just for drinks and chat.

Breakfast is good, although usually quite a wait if your order poached eggs or something additional to standard buffet items.=, but the buffet usually has a decent selection.
It's also in a good location with a number of shops across the road, has been handy in the past if I have needed to stock up with something (toiletries etc) and a McDonalds (if you like that sort of thing) right next door. There is also a Co-op supermarket a few minutes drive away.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for leaving a review of our hotel. We are delighted you have enjoyed coming back time and again and have always had a good stay and experienced good staff. We look forward to welcoming you again soon and continue to have a great stay.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed here with a friend of mine last weekend and we could not fault much at all!
All staff encountered were extremely polite & helpful! Location is perfect for the airport and train station, mind you taxi into the town center was expensive I thought but this is obviously not the hotels fault.

Rooms are bright,modern, love the fact that the curtains are attached to the wall so it's actually dark when u close them!

Few minor issues I came across which prevented me from scoring the hotel 5/5:

- Bed was a bit too soft for me personally.
- During the night I kept getting woken by the noise the air conditioning was making,tried to remove the key card, this did not remedy the situation not very good when someone is as light a sleeper as I am, this was my first time away from my 4month old and I was totally looking forward to a good nights sleep unfortunately this did not happen due to this.
- Several room service trays in the hallway, which is fine but when we returned they were still there! I do not wish to see other peoples dirty dishes, when we went to check the out morning after there even was a dirty tray full of plates outside our door and we never even had room service.
- The bar service seems a bit slow on the occasions we went for a drink, but this gets compensated by their friendliness.

We had Sunday lunch in the restaurant and wow best Sunday roast I have had in a very long time! The tiramisu was to die for and everything was extremely well presented.

We will be back, but hopefully get a better nights sleep.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SandraCoe
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for leaving a review regarding your recent stay. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and could not fault much at all and friendly staff. Thank you for telling us you had some noise issue from the air-conditioning - we are expecting this issue to be resolved soon and I have spoken to the team regarding clearing of room service trays. Thank you for your high praise indeed regarding our Sunday lunch being the best in a long time and we hope you can visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Recently stayed on business - nice modern Holiday Inn with a fresh 'retro' design. Service was friendly enough too. Down sides for me - not used to paying (£5) for parking at Hol Inns but there you go - it is next to the airport I suppose. But the very worst thing was trying to find the place - the post code on the confirmation e-mail takes you to a 'dead end' on the other side of the airport. Took me a good half hour from that point to the hotel itself by the time I'd taken several wrong turnings. Really could have done without this at the end of a long journey to get there. So please, Holiday Inn, update your post code!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your satnav did not recognise our address and took you elsewhere. I have checked a few websites including the Post Office and all of the searches I made brought up Eastwoodbury Crescent albeit around 50 yards from our actual position and therefore I am at a loss why this happened.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

The Hotel is lovely and clean and I loved the Retro decor. The stay was ruined for us by the beds. We had to take the mattress off the sofa bed and put it on the floor to make it comfortable for our son and our bed was also pretty horrific. We stayed for 2 nights and barely got any sleep. I should have asked to change rooms in hindsight. The breakfast was very good and even plenty of choice for us vegetarians.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave a review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to learn that you thought our beds uncomfortable. We have had a few comments regarding our beds being soft and we do have bed boards to firm up the comfort, however this is the first comment regarding the sofa bed being uncomfortable which leads me to think that the bed may not have been made up properly. I do wish you had mentioned it to the reception team as we may have been able to remedy or moved your room.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our breakfast and décor.
I hope we will see you again in the future

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Being just a few steps from both train and airport terminals this hotel is very convenient for business and leisure travel. I arrived late and was given a 1st floor room. It was a disabled access room and was well appointed, quiet and comfortable with flat screen TV an dlarge comfy bed and linen. There was a mini gymn across the corridor for use of the guests. I had 30 minutes free WiFi and the connection was excellent I could have elected to stay connected at a very reasonable rate but rather joined the hotels loyalty program and continued browsing for free !!!. The restruant 1935, on the 5th floor with views of the airport apron and active runway, serves generous breakfast (not always included in your rate so check) and has a very good lunch and dinner menu which is reasonably priced (there is a Tesco and MacDonald's across the road for the road warriors). Staff were friendly and accommodating and the parking cheap (GBP5 per day).

Room Tip: I like ground floor in this sort of hotel as its near the reception for lugging bags but the top flo...
1  Thank Coleman M
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review from your recent stay. We are delighted you found the rooms well appointed and the kind comments regarding our friendly staff. We look forward to you visiting again in the future.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We recently stayed here for a family visit and had two rooms, The parking was ok and not too expensive (£5).

Positives:
Staff were welcoming and helpful and the decor of the hotel is nicely done, Rooms are nicely laid out with decent bathroom.

Generally the rooms are quiet at night bar the loud person in the early hours.

Free WIFI for 30 minutes, Enough to get the job done but not an unreasonable cost at £5 for 24 hours.

Negatives:
Quite possibly the worst bed I have had the fortune of sleeping on in a long time, For one they are the smallest double possibly and barely fit two people, This is then made worse by the total lack of support causing you to both roll to the middle. A good nights sleep was not had.

Breakfast we made the fatal mistake of how much could it be without asking, If you are wondering that's £14 each for a buffet that never had close to everything out at any time. I think we were able to get three pieces of toast, two pieces of bacon and one hash brown between us for the first ten minutes.

McDonalds is 20ft across the road, I'd go there!

Without sounding too negative on the breakfast and beds its a nice hotel, Fix these and we would absolutely use it again.

Room Tip: Away from the lifts.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review from your recent stay with us. We are please with your comments regarding your room and our welcoming staff. I am sorry to hear that you found the bed uncomfortable, we have a meeting with our builders/suppliers to follow-up after being open for a year and will raise your comments. I have also discussed your comments regarding the breakfast buffet running out of items with the team. Whilst we do try to operate the buffet to be stocked we also wish to avoid waste at quitter times on this occasion we have clearly not been fast enough to replenish items and trust your next visit you will see an improvement.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Holiday inn is a good hotel with reasonable prices and clean and tidy hotel with the car park available for the guests and the location is good and some places to visit around the different areas. we really enjoyed the stay for one night and the clean hotel and restaurant made me to write everything good about the hotel and the staff were very friendly and well behaved and well mannered and treated all the customers very professionally and politely and its was a very good and decent stay with good value for money. But the only downside I would like to share was a lil noise at night from next door and a bit disturbance for a little while, rest was absolutely perfect. X

Room Tip: Top floor away from roads
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay. We are delighted you really enjoyed your stay from the room to the restaurant and all from friendly, professional staff. We hope to welcome you back again soon.