“Great night”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Great night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Arrived at 17:00 and was met by a friendly lady on the front desk. I'd joined their IHG rewards club the week before, and was pleasantly surprised when I was told I had an upgrade and I had free internet access.
Room 301, overlooking McDonald's, but I didn't plan to be looking out of the window much.
Room was very clean, but a very hot. It only had one set of towels, but a quick call to a very nice lady at reception remedied that.
My Wife spent two hours getting ready while I attempted to reduce the heat (being a man I couldn't ask for hep from the front desk).
I gave up and met our friends in the bar on the top floor. Excellent view of the airport if planes are 'your thing'. Friendly bar man and excellent looking wine glasses.
As we left the hotel I spoke to the front desk about the air conditioning. Seems I'd set it to heat, the gentleman said he'd sort it so our room would be cool on our return.
Got back to hotel at 01:30, had a few drinks in the bar then to bed. The room was nice and cool.
Excellent nights sleep, great shower in the morning. Left at 10:00 ish. Remember to get your parking ticket validated before you leave.
Thanks Holiday Inn, great service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
StevenJBrazil, Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Wjfe,

Thank you for leaving such a positive review of your recent stay. I am thrilled you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay. And that not just a great hotel and stunning view but staff that go the extra mile. We look forward to you visiting again in the future.

Rohit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

A friend came to southend to
visit me and we met them at the hotel. Very very clean!! Happy staff. Excellent manners and there room was worth every penny. You'd never know you was next to an airport unless u looked out the window. Makes me want to stay there!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Morgan R
Dear Morgan R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your friend's recent stay.
We are delighted you found the team polite and friendly and had a very nice clean room.

We are looking forward to you visiting in the future as you so want to be here.

Rohit
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed for two Nights. Very clean and nice room. Staff were professional, friendly and polite without going over the top. Restaurant views of airport were great.

Breakfast was really good and again staff friendly and attentive.

2 small niggles and probably down to personal preference, but the food menu was a bit boring and the choice of draught lager limited.

Overall great experience and will definitely book again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
StevenJBrazil, Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Ray S,

Thank you for your 5 star review in regards to your recent stay. Team at Holiday inn really appreciates your lovely comments. We strive to be the best hotel in the area.
By the sound of it, it seems like we have not offered all the menus to you as we have a very decent selection and scrumptious dishes on our menu. Hopefully we will offer you all the menus on your next visit.

Rohit Singh
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Following the positive reviews on this site, my family and I decided to eat at the 1935 restaurant this afternoon. However, I was very disappointed and the only redeeming feature was the view over the concourse.
We ordered bar food as the restaurant was closed but found the staff and one barman in particular rude, inefficient and unfriendly. Upon entering the premises I ordered some drinks at the bar from a very miserable looking barman who not only had a permanent scowl on his face but had to be reminded of the basic please!
Although the bar area was very quiet with only two other patrons in we waited over 30 minutes for our food to arrive and when it did this barman did not seem to know what the order he had taken even was. I asked for blue cheese sauce in my burger and when I discovered this was lacking I questioned the barman and was haughtily told "Well this is what the chef gave me", omitting any responsibility whatsoever. After pushing he begrudging offered to bring some out but then proceeded to take my entire meal away. I protested and suggested that it would be a far better to leave the burger with me and bring the sauce out separately. Instead of a well deserved apology for this oversight he grunted and then came back with a few crumbs of cheese. The food itself was satisfactory but by no means delighted me. I also found it ridiculous that my niece's child's burger was exactly the same as the adults.
Overall, I was very disappointed with the experience and the barman's poor attitude and lack of any warmth or customer service skills. The only positive was as I mentioned - the view

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear JamesKateley,

Thank you for eating at 1935 rooftop bar in Southend.

I was really pleased to read that you have enjoyed our stunning view. What sadness me deeply is a comment regarding the helpfulness of the Bar staff. Your valued observations will help us to improve our future guests being inconvenienced in a similar way.

I am pleased to inform you that we have taken appropriate action towards the member of the team. I have also spoken to our chef in regards to the portion size of the kid’s burger.
Unfortunately your experience wasn't our usual high standard and rest assured we have noted your comments to help the team improve for future guests and trust that this experience would not deter you from visiting again in the future. I am looking forward to welcome you back at our property.

Rohit Singh
Chennai, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We stay here to take the next days flight to poland. The hotel seems new and clean. The rooms are spacious. I should thank thr hotel for checking in us at 12 pm itself instead of 14.00. Thats a goodwill gesture og providing a good customer satisfaction. The staff were very polite. There is a mc Donalds just outside the hotel which was helpful and there are a number of hypermarkets behind the hotel which wr found to be very very cheap compared to london. Its so close to the airport that you can just pull the trolley to the hotel and leave it there and even during checkout you have trolleys at the hotel tat u can use and leave it at the airport. Tat was very helpful.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay. We are delighted with your comments regarding our polite staff, clean and spacious room. We are also thrilled with your 5 star rating of us. We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

The Hotel is very clean and the staff on Reception and in the Breakfast room were excellent very friendly and helpful nothing seemed too much trouble and this is how it should be. My only grip was the size of what I believe was a biscuit. There was two of us in the room but both mornings of our stay we only got one of these mouthfuls to share. If you are going to provide biscuits do provide proper size biscuits and enough for each guest in the room. Such a shame to be let down by such a small thing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay. I am delighted you thought the hotel very clean and the staff in both reception and restaurant was excellent. I am sorry there was only one biscuit in the room to share; there should have been one each. Holiday Inn does not require us to put a biscuit in the room but we have found that our guests do like to have a biscuit and we choose to put in a quality biscuit form Lavazza. We look forward to you visiting again in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I really enjoyed my one week stay in this hotel. It goes way beyond the generic experience of this well known franchises, which are great because you know exactly what to expect in them anywhere in the world, but they surely go an extra mile for you. Hotel personnel are great, the restaurant is great, with a view of the airport, the food was great (and we chose to have dinner there everyday).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rodrigo F
Thank you for leaving such a positive review of your recent one week stay. I am thrilled you believe that we delivered way beyond the generic franchise experience and that not just a great hotel and food but staff that go the extra mile. We look forward to you visiting again in the future.