“Brilliant!”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Thorpe, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Stayed there with my husband for a romantic weekend away.
We booked a superior room in the annex and what a fantastic room we had. Large room with an equally large television and trendy bathroom.
The food was amazing as well. The bar and waiting staff were exceptionally friendly and made us feel welcome.
All in all our stay was very good. The hotel was fresh and modern and most of all clean!
Thanks for the fantastic stay, we will definitely be back in the summer when the weather is better.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My husband and I wanted to visit Southend and didn't want to stay in a "typical Travelodge", we wanted something a little more contemporary and this hotel ticked all the boxes. The views were breathtaking and the rooms met all of our requirements. Reception were friendly and helpful, and the food was really good too. Would definately recommend and will stay there again!

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Great place to stay! Excellent food.. Excellent rooms.. Excellent service and value for money! The view of the seafront was also lovely very big car park at rear too! We stayed for 3 nights and the room was cleaned every day and the bedding was Changed also the coffee / tea facilities were restocked every day!

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed as a couple, no kids, in top-floor Seaview room in winter

Pros:

* Clean, modern, fresh feel to the whole place
* Comfortable bed - very soft, but I like that
* The room was a decent size and the TV and heating were both excellent
* Breakfast was tasty and all food served buffet style so no waiting around

Cons:

* Shower very poor: youth hostel quality. Dribble water pressure and changed from hot to cold during use. I was actually unable to finish washing properly.
* Wifi non-existent in our room; it just about connected but the speed was unusable, even for simple things like email (I used it in the bar and it was fine there)
* The staff were cold and unfriendly; we met the owner just as we were leaving - he was lovely, but everybody else didn't seem interested
* The booking arrangements are poor. I has pre-paid for our stay, but the receptionist insisted I did not and attempted to charge me again. After a protracted debate, she found our payment receipt. It's bad enough being made to pay upfront (a habit I find completely objectionable) but then to not register it is not acceptable.

At 50 pounds, this would be a decent value option and the failings would be brushed off, but at 80 pounds a night for a B&B, I expect stuff to work and it just doesn't. I would have said something, but nobody asked me how my stay was when I handed my key in to check out.

Room Tip: Room 14 had a lovely sea-view but the wifi was non-existent, the shower pressure very poor and it...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JasonNathan
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Booked the hotel last minute and unsure of what to expect but need not have worried. Simple check in and lovely clean modern room with excellent food - both for evening meal and breakfast. Very friendly staff and they could not do enough for you.

Would definitely use again and I would recommend the hotel to anyone who needs accomodation in the area

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed at the Camelia last week and had a lovely time. The staff were very friendly, the room A1 and the restaurant delightful. The food was fantastic. I chose from the day menu and had a top quality feast. I woudl recommend this hotel to anyone who wants that family touch. I know I will be staying there onmy next trip to Southend.

Room Tip: I had a sea view, which was nice to watch the ships going by.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Very clean, modern place to stay. Breakfast very good, evening meal good range of options and reasonably priced. Good location and easy parking in public car park at rear, comfortable stay. We would definitely stay again. The staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Upgrading ensured a bigger room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple