Camelia Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I was recommended to stay here by someone I didn't know and I don't *normally* take random recommendations but I'm very glad I did.

The rooms were amazing value and super nice! Very clean and each one is decorated individually (I stayed in two different rooms over the course of a longer stay). There's a wonderful boutique feel to the place with just enough quirk and charm but also modern amenities. Really nice in-room television and very importantly - FREE wifi! (Also there is a nice restaurant in the front and the staff let me lounge around in the back with my laptop so I could also get some work done while I was here).The staff are also very friendly and super helpful.

If you can get a room facing the water, awesome because there is an amazing seaview. But rooms without seaview are still great and really relaxing and quiet. I could have moved around hotels for the time I was staying in Southend but decided to stay put because it was a really great spot and actually from what I could tell some of the other places looked a bit dark and not so cute in comparison.

I would definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: Seaview room if you can of course! But rooms w/out view also nice b/c it was really quiet and relaxi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Wow what a hotel, I stayed with my partner as a one off and we will definitely be staying again. Our room was amazing, we just over slept and missed breakfast, but it was worth the money. Thanks for an amazing stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Excellent service from very pleasant staff. Delicious breakfast and room was very comfortable and clean. We stayed this visit in a family room in the annex which with a double and single bed would still have plenty of room for a cot. We have stayed in one of the sea view rooms previously. Will definitely stay here again - the sea view at breakfast is lovely on its own :)

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 28 June 2013

One night stay in a suite with great views of the estuary. Staff very friendly and helpful. Room nicely furnished and very clean. Free wi-fi. Busy road outside but the noise not obtrusive. Breakfast plentiful and well cooked. Car parking near and free!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan_HBirmingham
Reviewed 24 June 2013

i booked a room by telephone. The lady was extremly helpful and friendly. when we got to the hotel we found out that we had been upgraded from a room to an apartment. The apartment was lovely and had a sea view and a terrace.
The breakfast the next morning was excellent and taken in a brightly lit room. The whole experience was great and will use the hotel in future when we come to visit our friends.
Their website was really good in deciding what types of rooms there are, with good descriptions and photos

Room Tip: Their website was really good in deciding what types of rooms there are, with good descriptions and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel twice with work and both times I have been impressed on all accounts. Staff are very helpful, rooms are nicely furnished and clean, the sea views are lovely and the food is very good. I forgot my charger the first time I stayed and the receptionist managed to locate an iPhone charger to lend me! This time I ordered a steak on room service and it was very good. I'd highly recommend this hotel for a seaside break.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We will be making regular trips to Southend over the next six months due to family circumstances and we booked because of the good reviews, however, this place is average at best. The first time we booked, we did it over the phone only to find that on arrival, they had no record of this! Fortunately, they did have another room in the 'house' next door but would only give us this more expensive room for one night at the previously agreed lower rate. Thought this was poor service. The room was very spacious with kitchenette, however, the blinds did not open properly and some were broken, so we could not make the most of the sea view. The carpets are cream and very badly stained. The sofa had a colapsed arm - overall a bit shabby - we did mention these quibbles to reception - afterall, unless they are told, these things can be overlooked (trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here). The bathroom and bedding were spotless. We ate in the restuarant that night, the food was reasonably good value and not bad, however, the waitresses were dragging tables together and chatting loudly whilst setting up for breakfast the next day - this spoilt it. The next morning we arrived at the self service buffet breakfast - no plates, no condiments, and no sausages! We waited around trying to attract the attention of the dining room staff, but despite observing us standing there, no one came to our attention. The breakfast, whilst well cooked, is very basic and no choice of eggs other than scrambled. That said, we booked again for another stay. Unfortunately, it appeared that our previous comments about the room had not been addressed. Tatty, bent metal blinds....and dirty carpet. Come on guys, if you are gonna have a cream carpet, at least make sure it is clean. Same problems at breakfast - no plates or condiments, slow service and we had to help ourselves to coffee as there was only one poor girl working. For £120 a night, we were expecting a bit more - afterall cleanliness, service and blinds that are fit for purpose should be a basic? The positives are that there is parking at the rear of the hotel, staff are friendly, and for us, the location is good but overall a bit disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple