“Very accomodating”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
UK
“Very accomodating”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We held a function at the Camelia plus we booked a number of rooms for those who did not want to travel back after my Father's special birthday. The venue for private functions is ideal and the space is a good size. The staff were friendly and willing to accomodate our wishes and plan of action for the event. If I had to criticise anything it would be that I would have brought in another member of staff to support the day and ensure things like the toast were delivered more promptly as the bar had to be manned and it was not possible to support my plan and serve at the same time. It was not a huge issue as we worked around it however, it was this that prevented a 100% perfect score.

The room was very comfortable and we were very happy following a good nights sleep. The only issue I have during summer months is that there is a lot of heat build up where opening a window did not help regulate/reduce the temperature. During coller days, this would not be a problem and did not spoil what was a wonderful weekend.

Room Tip: I would refrain from a ground floor room on the side of the building as drunk guests did wake us up...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We booked a one night stay with dinner and breakfast for our wedding anniversary and you couldn't fault anything! The food was delicious and the room very comfy and clean, staff were friendly and the price was very reasonable too. We also visited the ocean beach bar located across the road which was also lovely! Thank you camelia we had a very enjoyable relaxing stay!

• Stayed June 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stayed here for one night when I was on business in the area. I got an upgrade for the single room I booked to a double at the front of the hotel, which being on the Esplanade, looked out to sea. My room was quite compact with a very compact ensuite. Nevertheless, everything was clean and tidy and very acceptable. In theory I had a balcony through the door on to it was locked and neither of the keys I had opened the door. I expect the hotel management closed off the access due to smokers lounging out there for a crafty fag making the place look like a doss house. There was however a large casement window which opened fully . Whilst this window gave welcome ventilation on a warm night, I wonder what it would be like on an autumn evening when you would need some ventilation but not necessarly a strong gale blowing in off the sea? I think the window could do with a bit of modification to allow it to be opened and fixed in increments. One minor niggle... the toilet seat was disconnected from the bowl so kept on falling on the floor with a clatter with the least encouragement!
I ate my evening meal in house and found it to be of good quality and well presented by a friendly lady. Breakfast followed in a similar manner.
There was a free public car park at the rear of the hotel, at least part of which was covered by the hotel's CCTV. The car park looked a bit rough on first impression, with a lunar landscape of humps, bumps and holes but it was well used by posher cars than mine.
Seafront was just across the road so very convenient for an evening stroll after consumption of grub and drink.
In summary, a hotel I'd return to if in the area.

Room Tip: It goes without saying I suppose but go for the front to get the good view out to sea. There was a l...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had the pleasure of spending four nights in this lovely hotel with great hosts. We stayed in a super king suite annex situated on the top floor with a lovely balcony and superb views over the estuary. The suite had a seperate lounge area with two comfy sofas, a flat screen tv and double doors on to the balcony.
The bedroom also had its own flat screen tv and water bed which was a very different experience. The bathroom had a bath and a shower which was very nice.
All the rooms were spotlessly clean, I would say that it's well worth the extra money to upgrade to one of the suites.
If this wasn't enough, what impressed me the most were the staff who couldn't do enough to make our stay truly special.
We also ate in the hotel restaurant and the food was very good, much better than the local restaurants which we also tried during our stay. Our breakfast every morning was also first class with a great selection from a full english to fresh fruits, cereal and yoghurts.
I would definately recomend this hotel for short breaks!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is an excellent hotel, with very friendly staff. It is small enough to be intimate, ideal for a romantic weekend. Our room was clean, modern and we had a small living room which gave us lots of room. We really enjoyed our stay here and would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Murray P
Orwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I had a great week in the Camelia, great to have a beachside hotel with ample car parking, staff are genuinely pleased to see you arrive. My room was upgraded which is always a good start and what a gorgeous room it was, views over the estuary, very nicely decorated and probably the cleanest room I have stayed in for a long while. There is a pleasant bar downstairs with a good stock for it's size and the evening meals are really good. Breakfast was excellent, summer berry compote is fantastic. It all comes at a price though, but i'm worth it!

Room Tip: Get a view over the estuary.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Found Hotel staff to be very pleasant and have no complaints about the room or meals. Hotel was very clean and tidy. Had a lovely Sunday midday meal and would recommend it if staying at the hotel. Lots of choice for breakfast and all cooked to a high standard. Well located over looking the Estuary and ample parking off road.

Room Tip: Sea view added attraction
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple