“Ok - thats all”

and 1 more site!
Camelia Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Room was nice and clean as you would expect. Breakfast was good if not a little manic due to the place being full. The staff we all helpful enough, eager to please and nice. Location is fine with good views out to sea. Good Value too

Hotel had a function on which lasted until 12:45 at night (music stopped at 12 but loud shouting didn’t!). Not excessively late but late enough to mean we couldn't get as good of a sleep as we would have liked. Hotel is too small for that size of function in my opinion. In fairness we were pre-warned that the restaurant would be shut so that's ok.

On check out day we finished breakfast around about 9:00am. Check out is at 10:30 so plenty of time. Having got back to our room just before 10:00 we received knocks on the door from the cleaning staff straight away, hurrying us up.... Didn't like this especially as there was cleaning stuff and dirty bedding scattered all over the landing making it like a Crystal Maze task to get out. I wouldn't have minded but there was no real attempt to make it easier for us as we came out.

Would I stay here again? Yes.... With a few tweaks it would be very good and I hope the hotel take note. I would of written this all down upon checkout within their feedback section, but didn't have time..... Cleaners!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Andy_and_Em_Jones

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I visited the hotel with my wife, we only stayed for one night. It was a shame that you could not get a drink until 6.00pm, as this was part of a business trip, it would have been nice to have offered my guest a drink. The room had a nice view over the Themes estuary, and the bed was comfortable. I think the boast of spectacular food was a little over board, I found it to be average.
If I was to visit Southend on Sea again I think I would look for a hotel with more facilities this is purely due to my expectations of what I want from a hotel and not because the hotel was poor in standards.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view, well worth the difference.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed in family room, double bed and single bed, table and two chairs and still plenty of room. Very pleasant decor. Breakfast lovely, help yourself to food and coffee and toast brought to table. Staff very pleasant. Hotel is about fifteen minute walk to main arcades etc and sea life centre, walk is very pleasant along sea front. Only thing missing from room is hair dryer. Plenty of storage etc and tea/coffee making facilities, overall very impressed and would definitely return and recommend

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This hotel has a separate building with extra bedrooms, we stayed in this area, nice and clean, hotel staff friendly, breakfast was very nice, There was a wedding in progress on one of the days which meant we could not use the bar, however not a problem as southend on sea is full of bars along the front,

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy196392
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Outside looks quite modern..it was quiet when we walked in..we had a nice welcome from the front of house lady..she was very warm and professional at the same time..are room was a double bed..clean and spacey, beds was comfy and had a decent decor to it. Only bad point to the room was the shower sprays way too powerful..it went everywhere! We only had breakfast there and there was many options to pick from! Fruit, yogurt, cereal, toast, different options of jams in cute jars, fry up to your liking, you get a good amount too. The drinks, tea, coffee, apple juice, pineapple juice, grapefruit juice, milk..you couldn't moan..there was an older lady that severed us, we didn't get her name but she was lovely, didn't mind if we took are time to decide or asked a too many questions or the fact that we are a young couple being annoying moaning at each other what to pick ha! She seems happy in her job..hope she gets to see this! There was parking onsite too, which was handy! It's a bit of a walk to the town centre and fair but at least it's a good hotel! Would recommend :)

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We held a function at the Camelia plus we booked a number of rooms for those who did not want to travel back after my Father's special birthday. The venue for private functions is ideal and the space is a good size. The staff were friendly and willing to accomodate our wishes and plan of action for the event. If I had to criticise anything it would be that I would have brought in another member of staff to support the day and ensure things like the toast were delivered more promptly as the bar had to be manned and it was not possible to support my plan and serve at the same time. It was not a huge issue as we worked around it however, it was this that prevented a 100% perfect score.

The room was very comfortable and we were very happy following a good nights sleep. The only issue I have during summer months is that there is a lot of heat build up where opening a window did not help regulate/reduce the temperature. During coller days, this would not be a problem and did not spoil what was a wonderful weekend.

Room Tip: I would refrain from a ground floor room on the side of the building as drunk guests did wake us up...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We booked a one night stay with dinner and breakfast for our wedding anniversary and you couldn't fault anything! The food was delicious and the room very comfy and clean, staff were friendly and the price was very reasonable too. We also visited the ocean beach bar located across the road which was also lovely! Thank you camelia we had a very enjoyable relaxing stay!

• Stayed: June 2013