“Not what we were expecting”
Review of Camelia Hotel

and 1 more site!
Camelia Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed here with my daughter for a weekend starting of the h/term week as a treat for her 7th Birthday and had planned on visiting the near by Adventure Land. Had asked for double bed and a single we got just that but the room was very small with a view of the outside emergencey stair case, although I had specified I wanted somewhere to sit and relax after a good day out, we had 2 very small chairs and the TV was stuck on a bracket on the wall, which we did not dare move as it looked as if it would deconnect its self from the wall!! So we were looking up whilst watching the tv! The towels in the barthroom were well worn and the cold tap in the sink rattled as soon as you turned it on followed by a delay in getting any water out. The bath taps were exatly the same, weather there is a lack of pressure, but the noise in the pipes was awful.

We used the Bar service Friday night after arriving and understood that they starting serving food at 6.30, 7.15 we were still waiting, when it did arrive the £7.95 for the childrens portion was so so small and well over priced and she never got the ice cram desert, however my meal was OK.

The Saturday morning we had breakfast and I only got one cup of coffee, no offer of any more.

Saturday night when we arrived back in our room, we decided that due to a busy day we would order some room service from there menu advertised. A cheese and Onion sandwich and icecream for my daughter....I rang through for this just after 7pm, well the responce I got, you would have thought I had asked for the whole menu!! I was told I dont know what time you would get it, we are very busy in the restaurant.....not what I expected. When the icecream turned up,,,mostly melted in the dish, the sandwich was not worth the £6/7 they charged for it with the tiny bit of shrivelled up lettuce on the side!

That night all we could here was our neighbours next door and doors banging...the next morning for breakfast we arrived 10mins to early, only to be told by nearly every member of staff we dont start till 8am! When I went to check out and settle up the chap I spoke to told me to come back after breakfast as it would save him the job and wait for the next shift to deal with me...I was given no final bill or any kind of breakdown, just handed over what she asked for. Overall, for what I paid I was not impressed and did not feel welcomed in this place, therefore they have lost my custom for my return visist in a couple of months

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank dorisando

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here for the first time last Saturday , very friendly staff , hotel was spotlessly clean , did not have an evening meal but the breakfast was of a very good standard.
Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff , would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Absolutely lovely hotel. Friendly staff, perfect location, amazing food. The list goes on.
The hotel was beautifully furnished with a high excellence in cleanliness.
Would recommend to anybody that wants some time away by the sea.
It's just a 15 minute walk to the town centre, full of shops and a theme park!
We had a lovely sea view room.
Couldn't say anything bad at all!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are peaceful and beautiful
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Me and my partner stayed in camelia hotel on Saturday night the hotel was spotless and our room which had the walk in shower was spacious and delightful all be it there was no sea views just the other side of the hotel but was more than adequate the decor is new and fresh with a modern touch the breakfast was great a big selection of fruits, cereals and fry up the staff were very efficient and helpful in every way the only down point was the location it's about a 20 minute walk to the town centre but if you have the nice weather then it's a nice stroll along the sea overall the hotel and staff were great and we soul definitely recommend it to all.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We had a wonderful weekend at this hotel. The room was elegant and cosy with that lovely hotel feel of luxury. Wonderful sea views. The best part of the hotel was the wonderful service we received and the fantastic food. We stayed for dinner and breakfast and were extremely impressed with both meals. The staff were so kind and accomodating and lovely to my little boy. Can't wait to go back! Thank you all.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view such a lovely sight to wake up to.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and its one of the best hotel we have stayed in. The staff are really nice and very helpful, the place itself is spotless and very modern. We stayed in the Annex and it was very quiet and very comfortable.

The only things that I feel could have been improved on is the fact that there are no tissue on the room whereas other hotels I have been to have supplied these, and also the plug in the sink did not have a chain on it (broken) so it was difficult to get out of the plug hole and the shower needs to be updated as the flow is very powerless.

But these are minor details as the rest of the hotel has no faults at all.

Well done and keep up the good work as its so nice to stay in such a pleasant place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We have stayed at the camelia once before and enjoyed our stay so decided to have a long weekend there and yet again we had a brill time, on arrival we were upgraded to the top floor with great seaview . Staff are very helpful and polite which is not always the case in some places, food was of a very high standard and plentyful. We will certainly be paying the camelia another visit in the future ....

• Stayed: October 2013