“Just a night mare !!”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Alresford, United Kingdom
“Just a night mare !!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Well I booked this hotel in July and was to arrive early August. I had requested a family room as I was to stay with my Two children for one night. I was really looking forward to our stay as reading all the reviews looked really good. Well the night mare was about to start...let me just say I hardly never complain about much!! Anyway, so we were taken to our room on the bottom floor. As we went in the room was not a bad size but the bathroom was definitely dated and old. It smelt like a care home ?? I went into the bathroom which was clean but then I needed to wash my hands and the very old and dated tap handle came off and was then in my hand?? No cold water now ?? Then I noticed a electrical wire on the floor near the bath. This concerned me and as I really don't want to die yet by any electrical shock !! The old and dated tiles were also chipped and the bath had to long white pieces of double sided tape in it, as if there was a chair for older people previously installed ?? The TV looked like it was about to fall off its bracket on the wall. The TV also played games with us by stalling and freezing all the time. The kids had to watch something on the ipad instead. I went to reception and found a very helpful lady who was most accommodating and came to have a look. She agreed, apologised and then said she would let the manager know. She let me know that the manager would be over to see me within the hour. True to her word, HE arrives. I showed him all the faults and he was in no mood to apologise but was very defensive and made me feel like im complaining about nothing. He then told me that he's been on the internet and that this is a earth wire and that all should be safe. Well I am no electrician but clearly he didn't even know and now im suppose to feel safe because he's gone on the internet to have a look ?? Then I showed him the (old rusted, falling to pieces) cold water tap. He then said " Well this has never happened before, did you take the handle off ?) The TV was shown but he couldn't find any fault. I asked about changing rooms but he said " We are full" He made me feel like im just ranting on about nothing and did even think of apologising. Customer service is definitely not this guys forte !. I asked "then what he can do then if he cant offer me another room?" He kind of starred at me as if im mad. I then said I would like a reduction off the £98 I have already paid them. He then told me " When you booked your stay with us over the phone, the lady who took your booking made a mistake and she should have charged you another £9.90 per person for breakfast ??!!. I couldn't get over it how defensive, rude, unfriendly he was and that he had just said that to me. He then started to show he's true colours and then started to get a bit angry with me. He then said " I'm standing up for myself because that's a natural thing "!!. After this unnecessary boxing match, he eventually decided to give me £20 off or if I like a full refund and I can leave their hotel now if im not happy ?? That's great customer service for you....Now he wants me out as im a complainer and obviously a nuisance !!

After this all, I really felt angry and it really spoilt my stay, mood... All the things that I was hoping to be the opposite. The beds were extremely uncomfortable as I didn't sleep a wink... The bed springs were eating into my back and the pillows were like laying your head on a cement block.. So be warned about this MANAGER, !! I'm so glad I am glad Im home now and just want to put this terrible ordeal behind me.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Neil G
rcammidge, Owner at Camelia Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We are very sorry to learn that you were not happy with your recent stay here at the Camelia. On arrival you were disappointed that the Family room did not have a sea view, but as explained we do not have any Family rooms with views. This would have been made clear if requested at time of booking.
In order to comply with current electrical safety regulations, all bathrooms in the hotel have an earth safety wire behind the pedestal. An addiitional safety requirement is the non-slip strip in the base of the bath. It is unfortunate that the tap had become loose, but this can happen from time to time through constant use, although we have never known one to come away in someone's hands before. This bathroom is the last in the hotel to be refurbished and the renovation is scheduled for after the summer season.
The television in this room is new as are those in the rest of the hotel and we have not experienced any difficulties prior to this. We are however pleased that the children were able to view on their iPads, utilizing the hotel's free Wi-Fi.
Having heard your complaints, and as the hotel was completely full; the option of a full refund was offered if you were not happy to stay in the room, but our alternative offer of a partial refund was accepted instead.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed two nights Aug 1 & 2nd Aug, we where put in annex across from main hotel in avery small room, uncomfortable as window open yet no fresh air , air conditioning would be great. We where kept awake by noisy folk walking to carpark plus neighbours banging door shut on way in ,Walls thin, man coughing' others chatting. not good at all.
our view was of side of hotel and looked into dining room so needed to keep blinds shut.
The view from breakfast room good' staff miserable but could be they not like early start.
Not likely to return as paid a lot and not worth it.

Room Tip: make sure it not in annex if it is ask for one not facing side entrance to dining area.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roisie n
Scotland
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Despite being in the town for a funeral, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would recommend. The suites in the annex were great, roomy, clean and comfortable. The food was outstanding, beautifully fresh, and perfect for our taste. Breakfasts the best ever. Staff friendly and efficient. Could not ask for more. Thank you Camelia Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Have stayed here on a few occasions, consistent very high standard of service. Would highly recommend this hotel you will not be disappointed. Nothing is too much trouble for the owner and the staff.

The Ws from lincolnshire

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed a few times and good food, helpfull friendly staff, comfortable rooms. 4 Poster bed and wall mounted TV a problem as the post of the bed makes it split screen :(

All in all absolutely fine for shot stay. Might request a different room if staying longer but I am sure they would oblige.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view other wise its the car park.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelWeary2014
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I travel a lot with work so have experienced many hotels of varying quality. I am totally genuine when I say this has to be the quietest room I have ever had, the hotel is intimate yet private, I only had to take 10 steps from my room to the breakfast area. I only had dinner at the hotel on my first night as I work during the evening, so missed dinner the rest of my stay. I did take breakfast every day which was more than adequate & set me up well for the day. It was first class food, delivered well. The staff were all very friendly, courteous & polite. My room was compact but adequate, the bath room may have recently been overhauled. The shower was excellent, very relaxing. Straight out the front door onto the beach, a short walk or taxi ride to the town centre, just right.

Room Tip: Room, 18, 19, 20 or 21. Rear of the building but nice & quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank PotNoodle1st
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

The rooms are good but food is over rated restricted in choice and very expensive drinks too, if you are a fussy eater find another hotel. I have worked all over the uk and by far this is the most expensive for food and drinks

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Darren G
rcammidge, Owner at Camelia Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
We are sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your recent stay at the Camelia.
Our bar tariff is price-matched to other comparable establishments in the immediate vicinity.
As well as the a la carte menu, we serve Deck and Bar Snack menus and have a daily set menu and daily Specials board, providing a competitively priced, wide variety of fresh produce, prepared to order.
Room service is available across all of these menus, if preferred.