All reviews car park tv and dvd player four poster bed sash windows trouser press buffet style half price iron and board pleasure beach lovely friendly hotel really nice place to stay mini fridge an evening meal family run hotel hash browns visiting southend rooms are comfortable
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Recently had a 2 night business trip to Southend and the hotel was recommended to me by a associate. Always a bit wary when no personal knowledge of any hotel but got to say that it was a very pleasant experience. I found the staff excellent, very friendly and attentive, food was nice and well presented and was certainly on, if not above, par with the 'brand' hotels i usually stay in. Room was spotless and bed comfortable. The overall price including all my food was very very good indeed and i will certainly use this hotel again as i am back in Southend quite a lot this year. A really well run and pleasant establishment with great staff, homely and friendly says it all.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Had booked a room for some friends coming from abroad for two nights. Eventually felt ashamed because of the treatment my friends received from the hotel staff. Went with this B+B as very near to where we live. When we arrived to check in my friends, they were given a room at the very top of the building, not that tis was a problem. The room looked lovely, but there was a terrible smell of something being burnt.

This was about 10pm. We returned to the reception to ask for another room. The receptionist was not aware of what was going on with the room. He went upstairs to check and agreed that it would be difficult to breath there or even sleep. He started ringing people in charge to see if anything else was available. He assured us everything was under control and they had an apartment they can offer. My friends (a young couple) and I went to check if the apt was ok to stay. The apartment was obviously already occupied or had not been cleaned as there was stuff thrown all over the place. This was not clarified to us.

The receptionist and us went back to reception to see what else he could offer us. It was 11pm by now. He found another room, with one double bed and two single beds. My friends kindly agreed to sleep there for one night. The floor was very noisy, mildew all over the bathroom and the shower head was fixed with a piece of cable tot he rail, which was also covered in mildew.

In the morning they went to have breakfast, only to see the food was not fresh and the waitresses complaining between themselves of the bad treatment they receive from the b+b management.

I would not recommend this accommodation at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank mvlas
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We visited this adorable seaside town on a wintery night to see a concert at cliff's pavillion (a quick walk from the hotel) and booked a room at Ilfracombe purely for location.

We were so pleasantly surprised! The room was spacious and the bed was so comfortable. We were in a room just at the top of the stairs above reception and the dining room, but it was completely noiseless.

When we returned from the concert, we had drinks I the lounge which is for guests only. It was cozy and fun. I think the hotel manager would have served us all night if we had wanted him to! Breakfast the next morning was delicious, generous and included in teh price of our room.

This would be an ideal spot for a summer beach vacation, but we found it wonderfully cozy on our one night there. If you're visiting in winter, there are great pubs nearby and Oldham's fish and chips is worth a visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Room was clean and comfortable, staff nice and helpful. Maybe I wasnt as lucky in getting one of their better rooms as some of the other reviews but my room was average quality, very clean , windows rattled a lot and had to wedge a piece of cardboard to stop rattling. Fridge in room but didnt work. Central heating kept me awake as radiator was noisy .Walls quite thin so can be noisy. Breakfast was ok but evening meals were edible but mediocre . Have to say that I have stayed in better in Southend. More like 3 star rather than 4 star.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We booked this hotel blind on the Internet and we were extremely pleased with it, would recommend it any day.
It was in a good place for walking into the town . We only stayed one night but would easily stay have stayed longer . Yes the bathroom was not big but the cleanliness was exceptional . Our only regret was that we did not have a evening meal, because the breakfast was very good . The staff were very welcoming and the atmosphere was very homely we found

• Stayed: October 2012