All reviews car park tv and dvd player four poster bed buffet style trouser press lovely little hotel visiting southend friendly hotel hash browns the cliff tea and coffee room was spacious sea front family room enjoyable stay full english stayed for one night
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed in one of the Family Room's at the end of Feb 13 and were more than happy with our stay. The welcoming was warm and the room comfortable and clean. The decor is somewhat dated but not tatty as so often can be the case, but it does match the Victorian character of the hotel (it is not modern). Having arrived late in the evening we ate in the small but comfortable restaurant/bar area and the food was good quality for the price and portions were ample. Breakfast was very nice with fruit, cereal, toast and a full english. You certainly felt the staff/owners were there to look after you and service was very good, especially preparing an evening meal after the 9 o'clock restaurant closure. This was very good value for money stay.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We have used it a couple of times now for family visits and it is comfortable, clean, with a good location close to the centre and has a small convenient car park. The fabric of the building and rooms are nothing special but everything works fine. What makes it is the service, dedication and attention to guests' needs by owner, Bertie and his family. I personally would trade the satellite subscription channels (available in bedrooms and in the excellent hotel bar) for a lower price -- I was amazed by how much Bertie told me he has to pay for these. We will certainly stay again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Recently had a 2 night business trip to Southend and the hotel was recommended to me by a associate. Always a bit wary when no personal knowledge of any hotel but got to say that it was a very pleasant experience. I found the staff excellent, very friendly and attentive, food was nice and well presented and was certainly on, if not above, par with the 'brand' hotels i usually stay in. Room was spotless and bed comfortable. The overall price including all my food was very very good indeed and i will certainly use this hotel again as i am back in Southend quite a lot this year. A really well run and pleasant establishment with great staff, homely and friendly says it all.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Had booked a room for some friends coming from abroad for two nights. Eventually felt ashamed because of the treatment my friends received from the hotel staff. Went with this B+B as very near to where we live. When we arrived to check in my friends, they were given a room at the very top of the building, not that tis was a problem. The room looked lovely, but there was a terrible smell of something being burnt.

This was about 10pm. We returned to the reception to ask for another room. The receptionist was not aware of what was going on with the room. He went upstairs to check and agreed that it would be difficult to breath there or even sleep. He started ringing people in charge to see if anything else was available. He assured us everything was under control and they had an apartment they can offer. My friends (a young couple) and I went to check if the apt was ok to stay. The apartment was obviously already occupied or had not been cleaned as there was stuff thrown all over the place. This was not clarified to us.

The receptionist and us went back to reception to see what else he could offer us. It was 11pm by now. He found another room, with one double bed and two single beds. My friends kindly agreed to sleep there for one night. The floor was very noisy, mildew all over the bathroom and the shower head was fixed with a piece of cable tot he rail, which was also covered in mildew.

In the morning they went to have breakfast, only to see the food was not fresh and the waitresses complaining between themselves of the bad treatment they receive from the b+b management.

I would not recommend this accommodation at all.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank mvlas
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We visited this adorable seaside town on a wintery night to see a concert at cliff's pavillion (a quick walk from the hotel) and booked a room at Ilfracombe purely for location.

We were so pleasantly surprised! The room was spacious and the bed was so comfortable. We were in a room just at the top of the stairs above reception and the dining room, but it was completely noiseless.

When we returned from the concert, we had drinks I the lounge which is for guests only. It was cozy and fun. I think the hotel manager would have served us all night if we had wanted him to! Breakfast the next morning was delicious, generous and included in teh price of our room.

This would be an ideal spot for a summer beach vacation, but we found it wonderfully cozy on our one night there. If you're visiting in winter, there are great pubs nearby and Oldham's fish and chips is worth a visit.

Date of stay: November 2012