“Lovely hotel, lovely staff, good value”

Ilfracombe House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

Booked into the Ilfracombe after being let down by a hotel we had previously booked, thank goodness for that.
Luckily Bertie had had a cancellation and was able to accommodate us. We arrived on a scooter but there was ample room in the rear car park.
All the staff are extremely friendly and accommodating, and nothing is too much trouble.
The room we had (No 7) was clean and comfortable, with tea and coffee making facilities and even a small fridge. It was a chilly night and we turned the radiator on slightly and it made the room lovely and snug.
Had a nice relaxed drink in the bar before going for a Thai meal locally and an evening out in the town.
Breakfast next morning was lovely and consisted of cereals, toast, fruit, yoghurt, juice, tea and hot cooked full English on a serve yourself basis. There was no rush as breakfast doesn't finish until 11am on a Sunday, although a couple of late risers were still accommodated after this time.
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable stay and we will definitely be back.
Well done Bertie and family, a winning combination!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank flattopsteve

Reviewed 20 April 2013

This was a beautifully clean hotel with friendly people running it willing on the surface to do all they could to help.
I arrived early and was able to book in immediately as they had my room ready 1 u for them and also there was parking avaliablethough not very well sign posted and I have previously lived in southend. I then went out to see friends when I arrive back no parking either in the car park or the nearby roads when I asked at reception if they had any suggestions they were not immediately help ful but when I pointed out the reason I had booked them was because they had parking they suggested that I park in the midde of the carpark so long as i would be around i nt eam to move as I would be blocking 2 people in. From here I went to have a shower at wich point i was attacked by a falling leaking shower head. i reported this in the am . the breakfast was perfect nothing fancy but hearty well cooked and plenty of it. When I returned from by day out walking to the high street perfectly reasonable walk and I am not a walker it was to find that the shower head had been fixed but I still took my life in my hands as it would not stay anchoured to the wall. Overall a clean basic hotel that did what I needed it to

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Boxer7199
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Myself and my 3 girlie friends have just had a wonder little break by the sea in a lovely friendly hotel. We had a 2 bed apartment with amenities you require. Food was excellent and the staff were so friendly and helpful. Great value hotel. English breakfast was super.Will be going back.

Room Tip: Ask for the apartment with a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank JackieParrott
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We returned to the Ilfracombe again after a break of 2 years and stayed in a self-catering apartment. (Roman style) As usual the service was very friendly and accommodating and the appt. was clean and spacious. There are TVs in all rooms now, so our daughter was delighted.
I can recommend this as a very reasonable option to families who prefer to cater themselves and want the privacy and space of their own apartment. The location is great and the staff too. This has become our home from home when visiting the UK.

Room Tip: Top appt. is the best if self-catering.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Niquito
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Just stayed at this hotel for one night, & the proprietors couldn't have done more to make us feel at home. The room was spacious, clean & comfortable & their food was great. The prices of their food & drinks were very reasonable so we didn't feel at all "ripped off". We'd definately stay again.

Room Tip: no.6 has a 4 poster bed!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sylrog99
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Stayed in this hotel on business in March 2013. Staff were wonderful and helpful. Room was very comfortable.

In a nutshell this hotel pulls off something I've rarely seen done well: it's homely without being over personal. It was a pleasure to come back to the Ilfracombe after working all day.

Every time I stay in Southend this hotel will be on my priority list. It's a leisurely 20 minute walk to the main street in Southend.

Room Tip: The executive rooms have ensuites, I'm not sure if all rooms have them.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gyp_the_Cat
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We've recently stayed at the Ifracombe House hotel for a weekend. We found their details on the Southend on Sea information website and for the price thought it was very reasonable for a bed and breakfast.
Now that we've been and stayed, we have to say its definitely value for money!! The staff were ever so friendly and couldn't do enough for us to make sure we were happy throughout our stay.
Set in a lovely area, a few minutes walk to the seafront and has a car park, bar and restaurant.
The breakfast was buffet style but had more than enough to chose from.
Our room was not very big but more than adequate.
Would definitely recommend this little gem to family and friends

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple