“OK for a very short stay”

Ilfracombe House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. On arrival we were asked to pay the bill there and then, which is unusual as you don't usually pay until you leave. The room was a bit cramped but was clean. Started to make a cup of tea and use the cartons of milk and noticed that they were out of date so had to go and ask for more. Only one bath towel so had to go and ask for another towel. Plenty for breakfast - even had your own toaster on the table. Went out for the day and came back to find that the bed had not been made and also only left with one mug, so had to go and ask for another mug. Its a shame that these things were not picked up.

Room Tip: Not sure what the other rooms were like but we had a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank harri015

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed at the hotel for three nights, would have moved if another hotel was available. The double room we were allocated was small and cramped, the blind in the bathroom was broken and could not be rolled up so it stayed down, it was also covered in paint. The sink in the bathroom had a large crack and two large holes in it, they had attempted to conceal the holes with white silicon but this was now dirty and unhygienic. The shower was awful, with a dirty shower curtain that wasn't attached to the rail.

The furniture in the bedroom was old, with one of the chairs having a very unpleasant stain on the seat. The two mugs in the room were very dirty and smelt of bleach.

For the price they charge I wonder how they ever get anyone returning, I know we never will.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank MiloYork
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago. It was quiet when I arrived about 7.45pm. It had been a really long day but the smile from the receptionist made it better instantly. This set the tone for my overnight stay. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. I phoned to see if they would rustle me up a meal about 15 mins before they were due to stop serving...no problem. The meal was good and they put the footy on for me on a TV opposite my table. I appreciated this, especially as Spurs won that night :-)

Breakfast is a buffet affair but all hot and reasonable quality. It was nice having my own personal toaster as I had a table in the corner!

Thanks to the owner and his brilliant staff for making me feel special.

I forgot my phone charger the next morning after I'd left but phoned them mid-morning to let them know. Whilst I was on the phone, someone checked immediately rather than making me wait. Again a measure of the service. I was able to pop in later and collect it from the front desk.

I would not hesitate to return here again and when I next visit Southend I'll actually be checking the reservations here first.

Thanks again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Chapperz1973
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The owners are very accommodating and friendly types - was so kind as to make me toast and I even got a free upgrade from a single room to a two bed room! Was unnecessary but appreciated the extra space.

Cleanliness of the room itself was okay. Found a dead bee/wasp in the bathtub, and an empty bottle of vodka in the cupboards. A little noisy at night from all the creaking but still manageable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Me and my family stayed there for a week in one of their apartments,the beds were broken, blinds kept coming off in the lounge, no constant hot water so showering was impossible, so had to have Luke warm baths, previous guests rubbish was still evident so not cleaned properly, though one thing I can say in their favor is that breakfast was nice

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank psalia68
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Great stay good friends, good nights sleep, great breakfast booked up already for our Christmas break! these people are hard working and i sometimes wonder why they get only a one star on trip advisor we have stayed there 10 years and will continue staying there good health to all keep up the good work see you at Christmas Bertie and family, glad elsa had a good flight and all went well with her holiday! one guess who wrote this bertie room 6!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank leolion123
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I telephoned and asked regarding access as I have limited ability for walking and everything was given in detail to me. When I arrived it was absolutely correct,stairs etc. The lounge and bar are spacious with ample seating. My grandson had a lovely bath with plenty of bubbles. The room was clean and had been done thoroughly. They are spacious and have good thick walls, we stayed in room 9 and it had a good aspect to the front with a very good sized tv. You are most certainly not falling over each other in that one.At breakfast the servery was again faultless, there was more than enough for everyone, help yourself all round, the staff are about should you wish assistance but leave you to choose the hot buffet. The tea and coffee was excellent. It was a lovely experience. Please also be aware that they are the only hotel to offer a fantastic deal for the Adventure Park they sell the £25 tickets at half price not making any prfit just passing it on to the customer. For a family this is a mega deal.I am most certainly going back to this hotel.The hotel has travellers stopping yearly here from all over the world...This must be an accolade.

Room Tip: Ask Bertie for what your own personal requirements are and he will do his best
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family