“lovely food great prices fab malcolm”
Review of The Rose Inn

The Rose Inn
Ranked #408 of 663 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“lovely food great prices fab malcolm”
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

we went during the week at 1ish just me and mum mum had the special starter creamy mushrooms on toast wow the garlic sauce as amazing load of mushrooms hen she had smoked haddock with mash green veg and mash again lovely and egg runny I had venison pie wih cauliflower cheese which was a bit hard but ok and mash with red wine jus the sweet pastry was to die for the mash lovely not lumpy the sauce was rich and creamy yummy lovely friendly staff malcolm was a great host very attentive even replaced the serviette after the starter pud mum had the bakewll ice cream cake which looked yummy it tasted just like a bakewell tart homemade great prices after 5pm they do a set menu which looked great

Somerset, UK
“Not so bad”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We needed somewhere to take my wife’s sister and her husband, and their stepfather for a meal to celebrate my wife’s sister’s birthday, as we are not often all together for these occasions. We chose the Rose Inn as it was a pleasant, not too long, ride out from town.

This, again, was one of those occasions that I wish that TripAdvisor had one further rating category between “average” and “very good”, because I felt that this pub restaurant was not as good as “very good” but it was most certainly better than “average”.

Three of us had the venison pie, which was very nice, although the traditional short crust pastry was really very hard. All of our meals were more than acceptable. Four of us had deserts that were also good.

The pub itself is very pleasant, if a little tired looking, and the staff were polite and reasonably efficient. The bonus was that they are part of the Diamond Club scheme, for over 50s, which gave us a £15 reduction on the bill!

• Visited October 2013
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Why so many negative reviews about The Rose Inn?”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We visited here in June 2013 for dinner and I can't understand why there are so many negative reviews. Really, I found the service to be friendly and prompt, the seating arrangements were ideal. The food was of top quality (I had pie and chips - yum) and overall a great atmosphere. The place was well populated with patrons.

• Visited June 2013
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Rose Inn”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

A family meal out only to be upset by poor service, The meal Sunday roast was of poor quality chipolatas and stuffing (on the menu ) but not with the meal as we found out when the meal arrived that they had run out, The services was slow 30 mins after the drinks were order we manage to get some to take our order, The bill was incorrect when it queried with the manager he showed an air of smugness. would not recommend the venue for a family meal out.

• Visited August 2013
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Should be a great place for families...and is ok”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Have visited several times over the last 5 years. Most recent visit was on a sunny quiet weekday lunch. They won't do credit card tabs in the garden so you have to pay for drinks and then food separately which is a pain. This visit made the place appear less friendly as their 'systems' appear more for the managers/staffs convenience rather than the clientèle. Manager was behind the bar berating his staff in front of us for minor issues and was wearing board shorts and t shirt whereas the staff were cleanly dressed and acted professionally. He then proceeded to tell the staff not to serve me a pint of San Miguel in a San Miguel glass as he wanted the last one for himself. I remarked that I wasn't going to steal it and made a joke of it but its hardly the hospitality business. Signs now say no smoking in the beer garden which is a bit odd (although non smokers may like this). The food was ok although my burger/chips came exactly as that with no garnish and was slightly burned. If you eat outside, you must get your own cutlery and condiments yet you pay the same as sitting inside. Who wants sauces in sachets when paying quite a lot for a family meal?
Would I return? Yes. The issues aren't fatal but the place should remember that they are in the hospitality business and the manager needs to be less boorish and more welcoming. His staff were great and the food needs more attention to detail. As a family man, its the only vaguely decent pub for miles with a play area in the beer garden and that is a major attraction.
Overall : adequate but could do better

• Visited August 2013