“Outstanding Gammon”

Ranked #425 of 730 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The food is great and the staff are very pleasant. They serve the best gammon eggs and pineapple. I come here at least once a month because of the food and atmosphere. Very relaxing and my Yorkshire terrier is always welcomed too which is a huge bonus.

Kirk U, General Manager at The Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your review. Gammon is one of my favourites too. Followed by the cookie sundae bar obviously. I look forward to seeing you and your dog soon.
Regards.
Kirk

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have not been to the Rose Inn for years, but on my way past on Tuesday afternoon I stopped and my wife and I decided to partake of the offer of two 'pub classics' for £11.99.
I had the beef and ale pie with mashed potatoes, brocolli, peas and carrots, my wife decided to have hers with the 'big chips' rather than the mash. What a delight when the meals turned up and we found that the beef and ale individual pies had pastry all round the outside rather than the usual ceramic bowl of stewed meat and gravy with a fluffy puff pastry topping! What is more the shape was not the usual cheap pie oval, but round and pinched like a large pork pie. There was a small side jug of gravy but this was not necessary as the pies were full of tender meat in plenty of gravy! I must confess that I just could not finish the whole plateful! I managed the pied and other veg, but I just could not manage all the potato! A lovely surprise!

Kirk U, General Manager at The Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your lovely comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards.

Kirk

Reviewed 30 May 2018

We went here on the Sunday of the bank holiday. I had some friends coming over from Leigh and thought we would go here because it has a nice garden. I was stood at the bar at five to one. the two serving staff were busy. I stood directly infront of one of them and was not once given eye contact let alone any suggestion that i would eventually be served. After 15 minutes, which is quite a long time standing on your own with a held out tenner,I gave up, collected my friends, and went to The Angel.
There were other staff who should have stepped forward but they were busy doing nothing. A total lack of management and direction for the young staff.

Kirk U, General Manager at The Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Hi,

Thank you for leaving your review and please accept my sincere apologies. On this occasion we have obviously failed to meet your expectations and I can only assure you that this was a blip and that we are currently undergoing a number of changes to ensure this situation does not happen again.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Rose Inn in the near future.

Kind regards

Kirk Upton

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

I am absolutely disgusted in the experience we have just had at one of your pubs.

When I spoke to the server he said he was sorry but they were running on no staff as 2 had left and the chef had called in sick and the manager was a temporary manager.

Firstly, they had no food hardly available, fine it was 6pm I can understand that.

They had no Ice for drinks!

I asked for my salad with no tomatoes, came out covered in tomatoes and how you can charge £10.49 for lettuce I don’t know, no dressing and no cucumber as promised!

I asked for a side plate for my son, it never came!

I ordered extra veg and paid 99p which again never came( when I asked for it they forgot) was to late to bother and it never arrived.

I was then offered an apology drink or dessert, I said just a diet coke please, this again NEVER arrived.

I went in to speak to the manager, when leaving the pub to go back outside I slipped on food that hadn’t been cleared up and hit my arm and back on the table!!

Then I ordered my sons Choc brownie that came with his meal, which then Never arrived!! Are you kidding me right?!

So I again go in and ask where it is, they say sorry everything was muddled up and it will be out in a min!

I wait 5, fine! It comes out frozen solid still- we leave!!

Honestly you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Every customer was morning, staff were all stressed and clearly not coping, and the so called temporary manager was no where to be seen! The poor staff just kept apologising and saying how terrible it’s been

The way I feel right now I would never return to your pubs!

I have been coming to the rose for years and today has truly made me feel like I could happily never go back.

Oh and ps the kitchen door was left open and all I can say is I’m glad I didn’t eat anything seeing as the food is cooked in filth!

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me recently. I am sorry that you did not have the experience that I would have expected you to have and that this has spoilt your day. We are making every effort to ensure these situations do not happen in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Rose Inn soon.

Kind regards
Kirk Upton

Reviewed 24 May 2018

Twelve of us came here for lunch, it was a beautiful day so we sat in the garden. My colleague and I ordered the food on behalf of everyone, however there was no direction on where to get cutlery or condiments, which resulted in me taking them from laid tables in the restaurant area.
The food was relatively quick considering the amount of us, however the gentleman that brought them out was not particularly friendly and was obviously put out at having to come back and forth with the meals!
The food was average pub food, I had scampi and it was a fairly good quality. Two of my colleagues had fajitas and were only given 2 small tortillas each, I think 3 would have been better, after all they're not expensive, 2 just wasn't enough.
It was an ok experience but they were understaffed and I feel they could do with some staff training, in customer relationships!