“Best chinese resuraunt”

Wings
Ranked #108 of 642 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Best chinese resuraunt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

This very small Chinese restaurant, not far from Southend high street, has provided us with fantastic meals every visit-some of which are by far the best Chinese food we have had. The food service is unbelievably quick and the staff are very polite. If you do not wish to have msg in your food you may ask for them to leave it out. We are regulars there-not just because of the wonderful food but also the very reasonable prices.I would highly recommend wings!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Amica B

Southend on Sea
“Lovely Food, 'Keen' Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

With ducks hanging in the window, you can almost imagine yourself taking a walk along Gerrard Street in London's Chinatown and even a quick glance at the main menu tells you that Wings is definitely authentic - although it's more a Chinese cafe than a restaurant.

An eating companion and I wanted to try the Wings 3-course lunch menu (£5.00 at the time of writing) which consists of either soup or an orange juice, a choice from around 30 main meals and finally a tea or coffee.

Chicken and sweetcorn was the soup of the day when we visited, and very enjoyable it was too. For the main dish I chose sweet and sour mixed vegetables with egg-fried rice whilst my friend went for the chicken and pineapple with egg-fried rice. The portions were generous, tasty and certainly well worth a fiver.

Although seemingly friendly and pleasant, I can state that the service is 'rather enthusiastic', in fact, so much so that some diners may find it slightly off-putting. For example, I'd finished my soup first and had the bowl taken away before my eating companion had finished - no problem in itself but, then, my friend had his main meal brought over what must have been three or four minutes before mine had arrived and I encouraged him to start eating as I didn't want his food to go cold.

Naturally with a head-start, my co-diner had finished well before me and his plate was removed from the table whilst I still had a quarter of my meal remaining. When I did finally finish, I'd barely had the chance to swallow the last mouthful of food and use the serviette when, whoosh, my plate was being taken away and within a split-second I was being asked to choose between tea or coffee. Trying to respond whilst still savouring the last bit of food isn't good for one's digestion....

Perhaps it's a 'lunchtime thing' as I can't imagine 'a-la-carte' diners being subjected to the same 'speed of service' - and it wasn't as if the tables were needed by any new arrivals at the time. As I say, some diners might possibly feel that they're being rushed. That aside, it must be said that we were allowed enough time to enjoy our hot drinks before the bill arrived...

All in all, there's no getting away from the fact that the food is excellent and the lunchtime menu is great value. Surroundings are quite basic, but comfortable and very clean and I look forward to another visit in the not too distant future but, waiting staff, I for one would appreciate it if the service could be slowed-down just a tad - please...

• Visited August 2014
5 Thank 405-Lines
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Always consistent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This little place is great and i eat there at least once a week if i can. It is great value good quality food at an excellent price. Its a family run restaurant and the service is very quick, the people are lovely

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank 760villager10
rochford
“great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

the food is just exceptional went last night 1/8/14 had a minced seafood fried rice well what a dish we now have been going every week since my first review of this restaurant and not had one bad dish

Visited August 2014
1 Thank robert h
“Day Trip to the sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Fancied some good Chinese food to round off a great day at the seaside. Found Wings on TA and went for it. The small but comfortable restaurant was half full of family having an early dinner but we were warmly welcomed. Everything we ordered was freshly prepared and very tasty. One of the most authentic meals we have had. Very happy to recommend.

1 Thank mark G