“awful”

Old Hat Bar and Bistro
Ranked #281 of 642 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Cuisines: Bar, British, International
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

awful, very unwelcome little click of people in there. avoid at all costs. only had one drink and made a hasty exit admist glares from the regulars.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank jennie b

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Great service! Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Visited with friends and our kids! Good was delicious! Generous portions! Great atmosphere and value for money! And one of the most child friendly places we have found, staff very helpful happy and a very relaxed atmosphere. Lovely garden area! Can't wait to get back without the kids for a night out as have heard great things!

• Visited September 2013
“Chilled out & great food!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Came here with my 10 year old son today..we loved how chilled out it was and the quirky decor. The lady who served us was very accommodating and we had lovely food. Couldn't fault it. Can't wait for out next visit. :)

• Visited October 2013
Hockley, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable with great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I've been here a few times and I like it here. Its relaxed and friendly and they are very good with children. The food is superb, I haven't had anything on the menu that I didn't like. On Sunday they have a little cinema room downstairs where the kids can watch a movie whilst upstairs they serve the best roast I think I have ever had! Really friendly, although at first it can seem kind of 'clicky', you need to push past this to really get to know the place.

The prices are great for drinks and the waitresses are friendly and helpful. The location is lovely as its tucked behind the main high street surrounded by little boutique shops which makes it lovely and relaxing.

The ONLY complaint I would make is the owner (mother, I assume, of the daughter she co-owns the place with) can be rude and abrupt to her staff which I cant tolerate! The place is fantastic but this woman does let it down with her attitude and pompousness. Luckily she isnt in the place very often which is a bonus. I would have given this place 5 stars and not 4 if it wasnt for this woman.

Great atmosphere and a good mixture of people eat and drink here. They have live music on a Sunday at about 3pm which is a nice touch. Deffo try this place if you are in Southend next.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank mrsacowan
England
“Quirky place, tasty food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

I can't claim to have tried much of the menu as I'm currently addicted to the baked brie with chilli jam and also their marvellous homemade fish fingers with 'skin on' chips (plus the most amazing mushy minted peas!) I prefer to come on a weekend lunchtime when the vibe is chilled and the music not so loud but it's a place with some life and there's a real mix of clientele which mixes things up a bit. Fabulous outdoor space too but the smoke gets trapped with the high walls so it's quite uncomfortable if you're a non-smoker. It's now a tastecard restaurant which makes it even more appealing and easier on the wallet but all in all it's somewhere I've returned to several times over the summer and I'm looking forward to seeing what winter specials they offer. Generally I've found the staff quite helpful - it's not a pretentious place - more take them as you find them, but with chips like theirs they have me hooked anyway!

• Visited August 2013