“My Favourite Arcade”

Astro City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I visited Astro City for the first time in February and because of that visit, its changed my life for the better, I was sitting indoors at home every day doing nothing productive because of my anxiety and depression, I went to a DDR meetup (which a friend does every few months) and ever since then, I've been getting out more, every weekend I go out and I feel better because of it, I've been able to help out, do designs for the owner who is really friendly, and the manager is really friendly too, I have fun when I go to Astro City and I socialise, I'm meeting new people each weekend and I'm starting to feel happy about my life :)
Theres alot of games in the arcade that you won't find at the seafront, including VS Super Mario Bros, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 3rd Strike and many more, and its the only place in Europe that has DanceDanceRevolution 2013, and soon it will be getting a beatmaniaIIDX and pop'n music, which I think will also be the only ones in Europe, It's cool that it keeps getting these amazing games that no where else has, and people should definitely go there for a visit and play these unique games :D
I hope to see it growing every day and meet more new people :)

2  Thank ZAaron R
There are newer reviews for Astro City

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Southend sure has a lot inbound, Astro suddenly appeared out of nowhere and is starting to make a name for itself amongst the locals!

What began as a quiet, small town arcade filled with retro games has suddenly sprung into action becoming one of the most popular arcades to visit, it has some of the most niche games and unique games that you can only find at Astro. The DanceDanceRevolution machine is the latest, with hardware and software straight from Japan! Inbound are two more machines that the UK has never seen before, beatmaniaIIDX and pop'n music, it's amazing how they've come so far and are starting to draw in customers from around Europe just because of these games!

I have personally enjoyed myself and even became a volunteer staff member at Astro by getting to know the owners, I remember the meetup we had at the end of may where one of the managers even joined us for a meal. So far the arcade has been a pleasure to support and play at, I honestly can't give it any negative points, I only hope everything continues to grow in the future and see more people enjoy the arcade for what it has to offer.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

As a hardcore arcade goer since the 80's, there really are few choices left in the UK for real (non-redemption) video games. This lace has the classic 2D brawlers King of Fighters & Streetfighter, shooters like Espgaluda, and the only place in the UK with Ez2 Dancer, Pump It Up and DDr under one roof! What's more, it's the only DDR 2013 version in Europe.

These guys deserve more business and respect. Pay a visit.

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I love a bit of retro arcade gaming, so to have a place like this right on my doorstep is just brilliant!
Nice laid back friendly atmosphere and staff, some great old school games and - oh! - they had FINAL FIGHT! - a game my brother and I used to feed all our pocket money to on visits to Clacton. I seem to be a lot better at it now, which is reassuring.
Superb, keep up the good work Astro City! Glad we found you.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I love the arcade games from the eighties, even own a few, and had heard there was an arcade in Southend that was re-creating the full eighties arcade experience. This is it and I am glad I found it (It is not that easy to find, aim for Greggs!). Brilliant gaming fun for this 40 something year old kid.

1  Thank PaulS888832