“Amazing Food,Value & Service”
Review of Elephant's Trunk - CLOSED

Elephant's Trunk
Cuisines: Indian, Sri Lankan
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing Food,Value & Service”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We decided to try this restaurant as we had never sampled Sri-Lankan cuisine before and were overwhelmed by Elephant's Trunk! After having the complimentary poppadums, we ordered soup and both the Vegetable and Rasam soup were the best and most flavoursome soup we have ever had. Then we decided to try the chicken dosa which was superb! Next we had Sri-Lankan curry, the excellent waitress (Lakshiyk) explained the strength of the spices used in the dish and allowed us to choose the exact heat we wanted. Needless to say it was perfect! We still cannot get over how low the prices were for such good quality food and service. We will definitely return for another Sri- Lankan feast next time we are in Southend!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank CWhite40

“Great, authentic food.”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

First tried dosa in reading and fell in love with it. Lots of Indian people ate there which made me think it must have been authentic. Being a fan of authentic Asian food I was excited when elephants trunk opened and I have to say that it is every bit as good as the one in reading. Great food, cheap as chips. Nice ambience and decor. The staff weren't the most welcoming but our waitor didn't speak much English, but this didn't matter.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Nickyfieldingacupuncture
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Impossible Authenticity”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This restaurant provides the cheapest prices at the highest qualities making it very hard to believe they don't have more reviews. Since opening in September I have already been here almost every week due to their quality and service.

Very recommended. I have already recommended to all my friends.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank saintdev96
Southend on Sea
“Top Quality”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Back in February 2014, an eating companion and I visited the Elephant's Trunk to give the restaurant a try-out with a view to book for a larger gathering in April. After sampling the chicken rogan, vegetable vindaloo, pilau rice and mushroom rice (all top-quality) plus tea and coffee - and we received some poppadums 'on the house', which was appreciated, I had no hesitation in placing the April reservation - the 'dry-run' had been a very worthwhile exercise.

Twelve of us were in attendance for the April Saturday evening get-together and, once settled, drinks were ordered (lager, water, tea, coffee and soft drinks) and poppadums appeared - along with the usual mint sauce, onion salad, mango chutney and lime pickle. The "popps" were perfect and the accompanying condiments were of a very high standard - especially the onion salad.

We didn't order starters, preferring instead to add some side dishes to our mains which included chicken bhuna, chicken rogan, chicken vindaloo, chicken dansak and a chicken devil dish. For sides we added various rice dishes, naan breads, aloo saag and a portion of bombay potato.

Like the fellow diner who ordered the chicken devil dish, I also wanted something that reflected Sri-Lankan cuisine and I went for the king fish devil dish (which is a fairly spicy dish served with mixed bell-peppers, onion and chillies). The staff will prepare any main dish to your chosen strength and I chose to have my fish dish hot - and I certainly wasn't disappointed. All the portions are generous but there's one thing to note with the fish; although it is served as chunks it does contain bones and skin - but the flavour makes-up for that slight inconvenience.

Everyone enjoyed their meals, the service was second-to-none and the whole experience represented exceptional value. A wonderful restaurant which offers Sri-Lankan and southern Indian cuisine, not forgetting many of the more well-known northern Indian / Bangladeshi dishes - and I look forward to my next trip to the "Trunk".

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank 405-Lines
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic love thus restaurant every single time.eat in or delivered taste and service 110%”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My fave restaurant. Perfect for us every time. Thank you for your continuous great food and service.

• Visited February 2014