“Nothing disappointed us”

Premier Inn Southend Airport Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We spent six nights at this Premier Inn, staying in the area for a family wedding. Two adults and two children (11 and 7) in one ensuite room for six days wasn't something we'd tried before and we were a bit cautious - but it was just fine. The room was big enough to accommodate 1 double + 2 singles (converted sofa bed and under-bed pullout, but they felt like 'real' beds) with enough floor space still for movement, for the kids to play and for our clutter. The wardrobe-substitute (a sort of tall bookcase/dresser unit with hanging space) seemed odd at first, but provided plenty of storage without doors opening to block the way.
We visited on some of the hottest days of the year, but the big, powerful fan in the room did make some difference and stayed on for the whole six days and nights.
We'd worried about the sound levels, but barely heard anyone else in the hotel, and nothing from the supermarket. We'd asked for a room at the back, which saved us from the supermarket noise, but did mean we got the bin lorries reversing past the ground floor window (beep beep beep) early every morning. Two planes from the airport between 6.30 and 7 every morning, but hardly noticed anything after that.
We never bothered with breakfast - Tesco across the road and hospitable relatives nearby!
One big plus for us was the staff who always greeted us on our way through reception, and dealt with our queries promptly. Even the cleaning staff said hi in the corridor.
Our only suggestion would be that if two adults are in the room then two key cards are provided . Removing the card from the room slot switches the lights off an it's ridiculous to leave one person in - say - the bath in the pitch dark while the other nips back to the car for something urgent. The alternative is to trail after them dripping wet! In fairness, we didn't ask for a second card, but I would feel it should be offered as a sensible option.

Room Tip: A room at the back worked fine - upstairs might save you from having the bin lorry at the window!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank george g

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in six weeks and have to say that it is one of the better Premiers I have stayed in (and I have stayed in quite a few). When I turned up mid afternoon on a blazing hot day and went to my room the curtains were closed and the fan was on making the room lovely and cool. The room I was in this time was large and a corner room with a window by the bed but it was a bit dark in the desk area not the worst thing in the world I have to say but it meant I worked with my laptop on the bed, sitting on the armchair rather than at the desk. The receptionist was extremely pleasant and asked if I knew where everything was which I did from a previous visit. The restaurant is very nice, normal pub grub and adequate, but very aware of a woman on her own both at dinner and breakfast. Staff are excellent.

The first time I stayed there my husband was with me, he had just had operations on both his knees and his coming with me was a last minute thing so we had not booked a special room. The receptionist cheerfully changed our room to one with disabled facilities. I would say however, as I work with disabled children, that the bed although comfortable was not really suitable for someone with a leg problem or in a wheelchair. It was too soft and too low. The bathroom however was perfect, all the right grab rails and alarms etc.

I shall be staying at the hotel another few times between now and next Easter so I do hope the quality continues. if I may say, I stay in Colchester at a Premier regularly as well and the Southend Airport one is a nicer experience but I am guessing it is newer or has been upgraded, the restaurant at Southend is much nicer to sit in for dinner and breakfast as a woman on your own.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank bow28t55
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This looks and feels like one of the older Premier Inns. The rooms are standard Premier Inn with very comfortable bed. Be aware that there is no air conditioning and only very small opening to the windows. There is also a problem with drains as there was a bad musty smell in two rooms that we tried.
The location of this hotel is good and the reception staff are friendly and helpful.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Myself and the wife stayed here on mon 22nd july and cant fault it at all. Lovely welcome and while the room was hot the fan was set up and everything was very clean and nice.I stay in quite a few premier inn around the uk and i think there are worth every penny .We didant have a meal next door but did have a nice cold drink which we sat outside and had also you can walk over the road to the tesco which is 24 hours so great location for many things. I do hope i have reason to return here one day for more than 1 night as its a really great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The receptionist (did not get name) was so welcoming and friendly, working with a temp outside of 30c, explained all to us and was very happy with her job, room was nice, all spotless could not find any dust at all lol.

Recommend it for southend airport, we was visiting friends. Not noisy at all from the landing planes, The pub next door was very nice, clean, tidy and nicely done.

Room Tip: All the same size I believe, maybe ask for a back room so your not looking at the car park
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LondonNeil1
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My stay with Premier Inn at the Southend Airport location was extremely pleasant and great value for money. The facility and room amenities are above expected standards and the room was cleaned to a high level. Staff in the hotel and the pub restaurant were all friendly, competent and helpful. I highly recommend Premier Inn and this particular location for anybody's future stay and will gladly join the throngs of Premier Inn converts.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank GarrethW1
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed here while on business and after a long journey found the hotel and staff very welcoming. The room was clean and comfortable and the evening meal next door good. Well situated for the airport and major routes

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business