“Disgusting!!”

The Parsons Barn - Wetherspoons
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Disgusting!!”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My families a great lover of wetherspoons, tried out the parsons barn - had nothing in stock and found a sticker in my food, absolutely disgusted!

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Fred235800

southend on sea
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“very relaxing and comfortable”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

A magnificent refurbishment of a centuries old barn that was previously used as a pub with a poor reputation. A previous reviewer has complained that dogs are not allowed even at the outside tables, that to me is an advantage also no music nor television. I have eaten there twice and I would say that the food was of average quality although very inexpensive. I have found it is an ideal place to visit mid mornings for coffee and it is so comfortable that it is hard to tear oneself away. Staff have been very obliging and courteous and I will certainly return.

1 Thank pastelmuneca
KatieH1980, Manager at The Parsons Barn - Wetherspoons, responded to this review, 11 December 2014
Thank you very much for you excellent review and we are delighted to hear you enjoy your visit and took the time to right this feedback,
We do actually have another trip advisor and that is our actual page so this amazing review will not be seen my our customers
If you have the time can you please re write your review on our parsons barn shoeburyness page
But if not thank you very much for this excellent review and we will hopefully see you again very soon
Kelly Marie and the parsons barn team
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Horrible.”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My parents wanted to see what the pub was like after its recent renovations so I took them there with my husband and teenage daughter.We won't be going back again.The table was too small.We waited an hour and 10 minutes for the food.Everyone's meals were baked dry,mum nearly broke a tooth on the chicken strips coating.My pasta was so dried up there was absolutely no sauce,dad's steak was like rubber.The chicken skewers were dried up and tasteless.No one came to check to see if the meals were alright until about 30 mins had passed.He apologised and offered us coffees on the house but with all the noise and cold draught from the door and the long wait for the food we just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.Really poor quality food, won't bother ever again.

4 Thank Pen632014
United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Dog unfriendly.....avoid !”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Last week decided to try the Parsons Barn, which had recently opened and overall, we had a good time. The food wasn't wonderful and neither were the staff but it was okay for the price and thought perhaps we might go back.

Well today was a lovely sunny day, so we walked our dogs from Thorpe Bay to Leigh on Sea and got the train back, all our usual restaurant places were packed solid due to the lovely weather so we got home and thought we would leave it a bit later and go back to the Parsons Barn.

Now the last time we went I did ask the server if dogs were allowed outside, her comment was "not really sure, but I cant see why not, its outside"!!!!!

So we thought it should be okay.

When we got there, there are two places outside, one sort of beer garden and an outside of the Pub, both are pieces of barren concrete with tables. Well, we knew the Beer garden was probably the place we could not take our dogs and luckily there was a table out the way in the front..... again it was really just tables on concrete.

So I went into the Restaurant and asked if it was still okay if we could eat outside as we had 2 dogs. Well the answer was most definitely NO !!!! Two bar staff said no they didn't but one member of staff, just looked at me like I was some piece of nothing and kept shaking her head as if I had asked for her to go catch the moon.

Now I can totally understand there are some places that don't have dogs inside, but really, the outside of a pub, barren concrete.......??????

So we left......and I must say that even though we don't take our dogs all the time, I doubt very much we would go back again just us two........

So to anyone who has dogs in the area, we live in Thorpe Bay and I must say that in our area and the surroundings of Shoeburyness, Southend, Westcliff, Leigh on Sea, we have quite a high population of dog owners..... this is a place to avoid, you will definitely be made to feel unwelcome.

Try the wonderful Angel Inn, down the road, who accept dogs in a lovely garden in front of the pub AND inside !!! Also the Meadowlark, which is a little way from the Parsons Barn. Also the Harvester in Shoeburyness in their lovely garden at the front which overlooks the sea (not at all barren), the Ocean Beach in Thorpe Bay on the edge of the sea and of course the gorgeous "Sara's Tea Room in Leigh on Sea, where dogs are welcomed with open arms and doggy treats and water.

Your custom is not wanted at the Parsons Barn if you have a dog or two, still, I would rather spend money on places that do welcome us..... and welcome us with open arms.

3 Thank bagsgalore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Chicken Club”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Amazingly poor food on Wednesday night Chicken Club night, even if prices were very low. My wife ordered Chicken Piri Piri, the chicken was stone-cold on skewers, so it was sent back. It returned very hot but completely tasteless, and instead of being marinated in sauce, it was accompanied by a sauce boat containing a very sharp chili sauce that was inedible. Similarly, I ordered southern fried chicken strips with Jack Daniels Bourbon barbecue sauce, and the strips came deep fried, and the sauce, which I had also assumed would have been cooked with the chicken, came in a little paper dipping pot. Not good enough, and although the pub has been refurbed to a high standard, and looks good, the food needs a similar refurb.
John H.