“Two night stay” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bideford House Hotel

Bideford House Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southend-on-Sea
Bideford House Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Southend-on-Sea B&B and Inns
Market Rasen, United Kingdom
“Two night stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

I stayed at the "hotel" originally booking a single room but was upgraded to a double room with no extra charge.Although there was a tv in the room ist was almost impossible to watch because of poor reception. The bathroom had a shower and bath but no plug for the bath.

Having looked under the bed it did look like they had just vaccumed around the bed. there was plenty of clean towels.

Just as well as I was staying for two days. the room was not cleaned, 2 teas and 2 catchets of coffees I suppose are to last for two days. and when i went down to ask for more coffee he complained.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank David C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

As a B&B it's "ok", no frills, noting special.
No cooked breakfast was a shock - was we made the most of the "breakfast room" (a conservatory with a toaster), and rather enjoyed toast, cereal, cheese and ham and a cup of what I'm reliably informed was coffee! No problem there though!
I would have no problem with staying here again either - it really was exceptionally well cleaned! Good sized room, good bath and shower, hot water etc.

The problem I have is it's name. It is no way a "hotel" it should NOT be called that, no bar, restaurant, security (be aware there are no staff on site after about lunch time! You're on your own)

All in all... It's "ok" but for £65 a night, I want some bacon and eggs! :)

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Feenzz
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Very poor set up/service...hotel locked and closed when we arrived, had to wait an hour in the rain before we could get in then the owner had an I don't care attitude and denied all knowledge of the calls and msgs on his phone. When phoning the hotel, all calls we're diverted to a mobile which was off. We refused to stay in the end and 5 days on, I'm still waiting for my money back. Not recommended at all !

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Heatherbuzz

Travellers are raving about these Southend-on-Sea hotels

Aldershot, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We booked Bideford House having not read the reviews first, and I have to admit, had I read them first I would not have booked. We were therefore holding our breath as to what we would find when we arrived, but I have to say that we had a really great stay. Our rooms were spotlessly clean, brand new bedding, fluffy towels. One room looked as though it had been very recently refurbished (we especially liked the polka dot duvet cover!!). Bideford House is situated in a great location, very close to the centre of Southend, the station, shops and the attractions on the seafront. The owner was friendly and accommodating, and the breakfast was continental as described, tea, coffee, bread, croissants, yoghurt, cheese, meat and orange juice - we were very happy with it. We have friends in Southend and often come to visit, and I wouldn't hesitate to book and stay at Bideford House again, it's good value for money and the bad reviews do seem unfair!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Akua89
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed at Bideford last night with two friends, when we arrived we were made very welcome and the owner insisted on showing us our rooms which we had to rush as we were late to meet some friends. We had two double rooms, one looked and smelt like it has recently been refurbished and was very nice with a large bathroom, the other was also very nice and clean, although the bathroom was tiny so when we were getting ready etc we all used the other one. Someone did try to get into our room in the evening but I think this was just a drunken mistake as his door was next to ours. The breakfast in the morning was fine and served in the room which is shown on the website. The location is absolutely fantastic, we went out to Element which is literally a five minute walk from the b&b and it is also really convenient for walking into town and down to where the pier is. Honestly had no problems and would stay there again when I go to Southend.

Room Tip: If you can ask for Room 3, it was fantastic.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank MissBB89
blackpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

It spoiled our 2 days in Southend. Location is good for the front. We arrived to have to phone for access as no one lived on the premises. The room we had was inadequate, not serviced during our stay. Supplies of tea, coffee, milk, toilet rolls were not replenished. TV set was old and poor. Breakfast was not in the room shown on the web site but we had to go to the hotel next door for it. The hotel, next door was good, well staffed and breakfastn good. We ought to have booked in there. The room we had was dated and tired. I hesitated to take my shoes off on the carpet. all in all ann unpleasant stay. We were happy to leave. we saw other reviews and gave it the benefit of doubt with it being called "Christian".... big mistake!

Room Tip: try next door.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank joabBlackpool
Taunton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

Warning to anyone booking this hotel check trip advisor prior to booking which i had i arrived half hour ealier to find no one in the hotel was dark. rang the owner said he did not live there and would be half an hour he told us to go to the hotel next door for a coffee, the owner of the hotel next door said this is not the first time he has been sent clients there waiting, he also told me the reviews on his web site are written himself, alarm bells started to ring. when the owner arrived he was not very polite and his wife i assume was hurrying up the stairs clutching towels etc. at first he wanted my bank card to pay the full amount i reminded him i had paid the deposited and had proof he told me that i had not and that was for his benefit, i did not part with my card. i asked him to show me the rooms i was horrified to see lack of what was described..... one room was not ensuite the bathroom was in the corridor and the other room ensuite was so small i could not of stayed there. i asked him was he on the premises all night he said no there is a man who lives in the attic, reviewing the fact two females staying alone with no owner on site was not security, and if anyting happened he was not bothered at all, i decided then to leave the premises and find alternative accomodaion, i would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and after speaking to people in the area they also said avoid this hotel as its mainly for housing benefit people who have no where to live. also breakfast would of meant us going to the hotel next door...I would not stay there is it was the last place in southend at least in the end we had comfort in a 5 star hotel which i had done this earlier and read reveiws lesson learnt......

Room Tip: go to another hotel as rooms i viewed did not reflect on the website
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business