“Tasty food, poor service, bills wrong”
Review of The Bear

The Bear
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Stock
Price range: US$22 - US$28
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: old world contry pub serving modern english food with real ales and fine wines. Duck pond beer garden and carpark. wheelchair accessable. dogs permitted prior to bookings.
London
“Tasty food, poor service, bills wrong”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Though the pub is lovely inside the back door was open to let staff and customers in and out so was drafty throughout. They forgot one of our prawn cocktails but still charged us. The bill was priced differently to the menus so we were overcharged by £15. We were wary of bill as table next to us had been charged wrongly too. Puddings lovely and thought the roasts were nice but one waitress kept asking us to pass plates to her all the time and took too long between courses. I think with only a handful of tables to wait there should be more attention to customers. Took ages to take our dessert order. There were no apologies for wrong bill just annoyance. Shame I really wanted to like it.

• Visited April 2014
bellabellabear, Owner at The Bear, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
We are very sorry about your experience with us on that day. I have spoken with the waitress for that section on the day and It's very rare that the bill price is wrong withe menu price.The prawn cocktail is a special and we completely sold out so as soon as we were aware of that you were asked if you would like an alternative I'm so sorry it was left on the bill. The waitress apologises for this mistake and again although you had chosen to sit in the bar the tables are sometimes hard to get at the plates from some angles for the waitress since you were sat on two tables pushed together for your party. Again the door left open was because we had many diners still sat in the garden because of the weather and at any time we can close it upon request or simply move to another table were you would feel more comfortable. Perhaps not the cramped bar but the restaurant would have been more suitable for yourselves. She seems to recall yourselves being on holiday here in the uk or your guests were Canadian American, please bring them back to enjoy our british pub again and we shall get them complimentary drinks as way of apologises for our Sunday lunch experience, just quote the name you booked under. We have learnt from your recall of this experience and the constant checking of the bills for the items sold and of course the table assignment to suit each persons different needs in bar area or restaurant area.

Upminster, null, United Kingdom
“been twice , never again”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The first time was early December 2013 friends had suggested we meet there as it was equi-distant for us both .
thought it very average food and very pricey , was not impressed .( time of year ???)
2nd time my daughter booked it for a family birthday meal for 8 on Saturday March 1st .
Prawn cocktail consisted of what seemed like a few tasteless shrimps on half a glass of sun dried tomato like paste , a slither of lettuce with a large unpeeled prawn on top , think it was about £7.50 which was irrevalent as it was horrible.
My wife had Skate wing , or about 1/4 of one with some awful potato thing , again silly money .
One of my daughters had duck breast which was not cooked at all on the inside and before you say it should be fairly rare , I agree but RED no , they took it back and returned it 20mins later overcooked .
I could go on but I won't .
This is just a Pub and should stick to pub grub which can be cooked by any sensible cook .
It is not a Restaurant with food prepared by a chef !
This coupled with the silly prices is just very poor .
Will not give it a third try.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Paul B
bellabellabear, Owner at The Bear, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your review and we have let the kitchen know how disappointed you were with the prawn cocktail and the skate dishes. They are on our specials board only and we do this for fresh market produce on the day offered and tasteless prawns have been looked into with our supplier and the dish amended. thank you for bringing it to our attention, the two large shell on prawns that top the dish I have tasted and found to be of excellent quality. Also the side mash potato that accompanies your skate dish with caper butter has been looked into as well. customer service is important with us at the bear and although you feel you wont return to us again the matter has been addressed with your comment and so thank you for the review.
London, United Kingdom
“Didn't want to leave”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We went to the bear for lunch for my wife's birthday.
Everything about the place is great, the staff are attentive and helpful, but they give you space and time to enjoy your company and food. I can't stand being asked every 30 seconds if I need anything, and they do the job perfectly. I only mentioned in passing that it was my wife's birthday and they gave her a bowl of ice cream with a candle.....but left me to sing happy birthday!
The garden is great, and the ducks are friendly!
The only negative is that the beer and wine are too nice, which makes you want to stay all day!
We will be going back ASAP!

• Visited March 2014
bellabellabear, Owner at The Bear, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Many thanks for your lovely review and I shall pass this on to the team ! The blue cheese souffle is one of my personal favourites too ! Come back soon !
“Awesome Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Visited with the wife and turned up out of the blue. They were very hospitable and found us a nice cosy table in the corner.
The roasts were superb and the main Blue Cheese Soufflé is incredible.
The place was packed and the atmosphere very friendly and welcoming, popular with family groups including children as well as couples.
Sensible prices, great service.

bellabellabear, Owner at The Bear, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Don't book online”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Had a nice surprise evening planned for the girlfriend.
Booked online no issues
After a few days I noticed I hadn't got any response.
Called them and they where fully booked....nice to have been told. Was now too late to get in anywhere else. Thanks bear inn

• Visited February 2014
bellabellabear, Owner at The Bear, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Its never happened before and we apologise. Online booking is confirmed on the day by returning the email of confirmation only, its always best to call the restaurant for a Saturday night table if your looking for a table that weekend ,or book a week in advance .. but we were so fully booked on Saturday night if you had rang earlier in the day the staff would have simply said
sorry we are fully booked Saturday night. Call see us again and we will get you some drinks on the house ask for the manager with your full email name you gave us when you made the enquiry.