“Hanging over the fence of the duck pond”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bear

The Bear
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Stock
Price range: US$21 - US$27
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: old world contry pub serving modern english food with real ales and fine wines. Duck pond beer garden and carpark. wheelchair accessable. dogs permitted prior to bookings.
London, United Kingdom
“Hanging over the fence of the duck pond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

My wife and I thoroughly enjoy those early evening tipples at the bear in stock as often as we can. TWO HOUSE RED'S AND TWO BAGS OF CRISPS PLEASE BARMAN!

The man that runs the establishment is an absolute delight, what a humble and considerate man. The atmosphere is very relaxing apart from the two dead pheasants on the wall above the fireplace and the man in charge always goes out of his way to make our visit an enjoyable and memorable one. His attire is very smart and their spaniel is an absolute joy when it makes an appearance.

Their wine selection is vast, the garden lovely to sit in on a warm day (apart from the screaming bipolar, scatty children glued to their gameboys - may I suggest that they make this bar/restaurant child free?)

Some of the staff are attentive, although sometimes the older staff never seem to smile as if to suggest they've heard extremely bad news... every day.. for the past 9 years.

Their wine selection is so vast after trying various bottles of plonk I was found by my better half hanging over the fence of the duck pond trying to stop a fight between the 3 little ducks that live there, then mumbling something about there used to be pebbles in the gents sinks in the loo and that it reminded me of our honeymoon to the Maldives.

I thoroughly enjoy the Bear, I just wished people in there would smile more and they wouldn't keep filling up my glass!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Lows82
bellabellabear, Owner at The Bear, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
What a review this made us laugh!! We know whom you are !! ......if it means those early evening glasses of vino are making you hang over the fence of duck pond ....then please continue !! Ha ha
we can forsake our smart barman attire and jump in to pull you out !! Thank you soon much for the most generous comment and Bella our spaniel is getting quite the fan club ! However the comment on the not so happy faces of our more maturer waiting staff does resonate and although the beer garden does get busy and it's a long way from kitchen to bottom of the garden, they are smiley and happy to get the drinks and food out to customers as quickly as they can.

London
“Great Food and Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Went for lunch and it was absolutely lovely. One of the best pub lunches I have had for a very long time. The food was fresh and not over fussy. There is a set lunch menu reasonably priced or you can choose from the a la carte menu. As well as seating inside there are options for outside seating in good weather. A great atmosphere with beams and fire places. I would suggest booking as it does seem to be rather busy. Definitely going back

• Visited May 2014
bellabellabear, Owner at The Bear, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for the great review and we shall pass this on to the team ! Come again soon !
London
“Tasty food, poor service, bills wrong”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Though the pub is lovely inside the back door was open to let staff and customers in and out so was drafty throughout. They forgot one of our prawn cocktails but still charged us. The bill was priced differently to the menus so we were overcharged by £15. We were wary of bill as table next to us had been charged wrongly too. Puddings lovely and thought the roasts were nice but one waitress kept asking us to pass plates to her all the time and took too long between courses. I think with only a handful of tables to wait there should be more attention to customers. Took ages to take our dessert order. There were no apologies for wrong bill just annoyance. Shame I really wanted to like it.

• Visited April 2014
bellabellabear, Owner at The Bear, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
We are very sorry about your experience with us on that day. I have spoken with the waitress for that section on the day and It's very rare that the bill price is wrong withe menu price.The prawn cocktail is a special and we completely sold out so as soon as we were aware of that you were asked if you would like an alternative I'm so sorry it was left on the bill. The waitress apologises for this mistake and again although you had chosen to sit in the bar the tables are sometimes hard to get at the plates from some angles for the waitress since you were sat on two tables pushed together for your party. Again the door left open was because we had many diners still sat in the garden because of the weather and at any time we can close it upon request or simply move to another table were you would feel more comfortable. Perhaps not the cramped bar but the restaurant would have been more suitable for yourselves. She seems to recall yourselves being on holiday here in the uk or your guests were Canadian American, please bring them back to enjoy our british pub again and we shall get them complimentary drinks as way of apologises for our Sunday lunch experience, just quote the name you booked under. We have learnt from your recall of this experience and the constant checking of the bills for the items sold and of course the table assignment to suit each persons different needs in bar area or restaurant area.
Upminster, null, United Kingdom
“been twice , never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

The first time was early December 2013 friends had suggested we meet there as it was equi-distant for us both .
thought it very average food and very pricey , was not impressed .( time of year ???)
2nd time my daughter booked it for a family birthday meal for 8 on Saturday March 1st .
Prawn cocktail consisted of what seemed like a few tasteless shrimps on half a glass of sun dried tomato like paste , a slither of lettuce with a large unpeeled prawn on top , think it was about £7.50 which was irrevalent as it was horrible.
My wife had Skate wing , or about 1/4 of one with some awful potato thing , again silly money .
One of my daughters had duck breast which was not cooked at all on the inside and before you say it should be fairly rare , I agree but RED no , they took it back and returned it 20mins later overcooked .
I could go on but I won't .
This is just a Pub and should stick to pub grub which can be cooked by any sensible cook .
It is not a Restaurant with food prepared by a chef !
This coupled with the silly prices is just very poor .
Will not give it a third try.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Paul B
bellabellabear, Owner at The Bear, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your review and we have let the kitchen know how disappointed you were with the prawn cocktail and the skate dishes. They are on our specials board only and we do this for fresh market produce on the day offered and tasteless prawns have been looked into with our supplier and the dish amended. thank you for bringing it to our attention, the two large shell on prawns that top the dish I have tasted and found to be of excellent quality. Also the side mash potato that accompanies your skate dish with caper butter has been looked into as well. customer service is important with us at the bear and although you feel you wont return to us again the matter has been addressed with your comment and so thank you for the review.
London, United Kingdom
“Didn't want to leave”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We went to the bear for lunch for my wife's birthday.
Everything about the place is great, the staff are attentive and helpful, but they give you space and time to enjoy your company and food. I can't stand being asked every 30 seconds if I need anything, and they do the job perfectly. I only mentioned in passing that it was my wife's birthday and they gave her a bowl of ice cream with a candle.....but left me to sing happy birthday!
The garden is great, and the ducks are friendly!
The only negative is that the beer and wine are too nice, which makes you want to stay all day!
We will be going back ASAP!

• Visited March 2014
bellabellabear, Owner at The Bear, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Many thanks for your lovely review and I shall pass this on to the team ! The blue cheese souffle is one of my personal favourites too ! Come back soon !