“A Special Lunch didn't disappoint”
Review of The Bear

The Bear
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Stock
Price range: US$23 - US$28
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: old world contry pub serving modern english food with real ales and fine wines. Duck pond beer garden and carpark. wheelchair accessable. dogs permitted prior to bookings.
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Took some relatives for a birthday lunch. Hot June day so rather than sit in the dark bar we opted for the bright restaurant extension area with white tablecloths and open French doors so it was light & airy. The place was pretty quiet - the only other diners we're in the bar area . Service was good. We all enjoyed our food - well presented and good quality. It isn't cheap, there's no inclusively priced menu - all a la carte lunch. but were are a few options for around £12-14 ( lamb or steaks were over £20).

2  Thank hilaryb53317

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Booked a table for 8 for our silver wedding. The table was in the window and was a good shape so that we could talk to all of our guests.

We had a good variety of starters between us and everybody said they were delicious. Main courses were just as excellent, the lamb was so tender and the fish was beautifully cooked.

Excellent service, just the right amount of checking if we had everything we needed without being intrusive.

So glad I booked here, I would definitely visit again and recommend to friends.

3  Thank Fuzzywuzzywozabear
Reviewed 5 June 2018

The Bear has a lot of Olde Worlde Charm and could be a pleasant experience.

My starter, of asparagus with a poached egg on top was fine, it would be difficult to do any damage to that.

For my main, the veal escalope was thin and the coating appeared to be fried to a crisp, the French fries and side salad were OK although the portions were not generous,

My pudding was Banoffee pie with banana. This portion was fine, but the pudding itself was sickly, even for Banoffee.

The elderly waitress was pleasant but quietly spoken, which made her difficult to hear. Not really her fault in this noisy pub. A young girl was also pleasant and efficient. Other staff were not so acceptable,

The clientele appeared to be what one might expect in this vulgarly moneyed and somewhat pretentious area.

All in all an experience not worth the money. My dining companions thought the same, I could have had better with more welcoming staff and a better ambience in far less pretentious pub / restaurants not that far away.

A pity, given that I went to this place for a special occasion and had been looking forward to it for weeks. What a let down.

1  Thank Colin B
Reviewed 4 June 2018

My family booked this restaurant to celebrate a 40th birthday and 25th wedding anniversary and we were given a lovely table in the window. The pub is very old and quaint with a cosy atmosphere and we were really looking forwards to this celebration meal. Unfortunately we were very disappointed. The food was very overpriced, the Spring chicken looked very unappetising (little pieces of greasy, pale chicken on the bone) and the menu was limited especially for teenagers! The desserts were just thrown together and had obviously been left somewhere warm as the ice cream had melted quite a lot. Not a la carte!!!! I've had better presented dishes at a Beefeater! I had the lemon tart, which was not pleasant at all and some of my strawberries were brown! The waitresses hardly smiled, spoke too quietly for a noisy restaurant and as the evening progressed, the rudeness increased!! Totally unacceptable.
We were not made to feel welcome and we all felt very uncomfortable. Definitely a clicky pub for the locals.
We would not re-visit again.

Reviewed 3 June 2018

Unfortunately i did not have a great evening meal experience here. The booking was made a few months ago, as it was for 2 special occasions, a 40th birthday and a silver wedding anniversary, this was mentioned when booking (and when i called on the day to confirm booking, this was mentioned by the member of staff on the phone). This however, was not acknowledged by any staff serving our table in any way during the evening, not even verbally! Pretty poor customer service in my opinion.

Waiting staff
Terrible. We initially had an older female (blonde hair, glasses) who spoke so quietly, no one could hear what she was saying and/or asking. She was unfriendly and did not smile once while attending to our table the whole evening. One member of my party asked what came with one of the mains - her reply was "i would imagine..." i'd rather she knew or go to find out, rather than imagining.
We also were served by a younger female, who was pleasant enough to begin with, but as the evening went on was looking more and more frazzled, maybe it was too busy. This however, does not excuse rolling her eyes in front of me at my elderly mother and her partner, who did not realise she was trying to get past and could not hear. This was incredibly rude and unnecessary. I did not address this at the time, as i did not want to cause my mum embarrassment. Our dessert order was taken in a circle around the table, one person hesitated, and she snappily asked "do you want dessert" - i suggest giving people ample time to get their words out.

Portion size very small and for what was served way over priced. Spring chicken for example was a few bits of what can only be described as chicken wings, a couple of small chicken sausages and a bit of veg - £16+. The lemon tart a florescent artificial yellow colour with a very unpleasant seeded base.
On a positive, the wine and beer were acceptable.
3 desserts which we did not have were also added to our bill...it was rectified, but i don't recall an simple apology for this when the bill came back.

The overall experience was a huge let down, and given it was supposed to be a special occasion this made it even more of a disappointment.
Its unlikely that any of our party will come for dinner here again in the future, and in hindsight we should have booked The Hoop.