“Extremely poor standard and service”

Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stock
London, United Kingdom
“Extremely poor standard and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

My family and I have often had Afternoon Tea at Greenwoods unfortunately the experience we recently had on the 4th March means we will not be returning and will advise friends and colleagues against the Afternoon Tea for £14.95 each which consisted of six fingers of sandwiches, a small pot of tea which equated to one and a half cups each, with no choice of tea,two very dry cakes, two very thin slices of swiss roll middle removed and part of a strawberry inserted with a blackberry placed on top, there were also four pieces of around one and a quarter inch round approx half an inch high I asked what these were and was informed they were scones. I did voice my complaint and apparently this was brought to the attention of the chef. Upon leaving I again voiced my complaint to which a senior member of staff was called, excuses were made re the new chef and the change of ownership taking place. In my view any changes should not affect the customer. If it were not a prepaid gift we would have left.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your Afternoon tea at Greenwoods.
We receive very good reviews about our teas and I am surprised that you experienced so many problems. I am sure that had you asked for more tea this would not have been a problem and our scones are prepared in house and are usually very good.
I agree changes should not affect the customer and will look into this. We are currently reviewing our Afternoon tea service and our product and I hope that you will come back one day to try it again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stay at Greenwood from Friday to Saturday and enjoyed it, the room was nice and the facilities were good apart from only one tea bag in the room but I did ask at reception and was given some more . I found the food quite expensive 2 sandwiches & 2 coffees £20 ... but just across the road there was a nice little country pub called hoop that does lovely fish dishes. Breakfast was a disaster, we waited ages to be served there was only one waitresses. There was no cutlery or juicy. But when our breakfast arrived it was very nice. All in all a nice hotel would defiantly book again .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for your review we are always pleased to receive feedback good or bad.
We took ownership of Greenwoods on 21/2/14 and are currently carrying out a phased refurbishment of the hotel and facilities. I am surprised at the fact that you only had one teabag in the room and have spoken to housekeeping about this. We are also currently looking at all areas of the hotel operations including menus and service and will certainly look into the problems that you found with breakfast. I hope that you will return to Greenwoods in the future.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Greenwoods is now currently under new ownership.
My husband and I booked direct with hotel, 1 night/Use of Spa/Dinner & Breakfast, I had 2 treatments which I chose from brochure and booked at least 2 weeks before, these were fab, (tip: definitely book any treatments in advance as they were very busy!). Pool area was absolutely heaving with people (mainly groups of women on afternoon tea), could barely squeeze into Sauna or Steam room, there were no beds by the pool as people had reserved them with towels, not as relaxing as we had imagined which was a shame. Our bedroom (36) needed a bit of a spruce up, just a bit tired. Overall can only really rate as average, good value for money with Dinner and Breakfast included but would try another hotel rather than return. We found staff were polite, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review we appreciate all feedback.
As you have stated Greenwoods is under new ownership and we are currently carrying out a phased refurbishment of all areas of the hotel. The sunbed situation was highlighted by another guest recently and this has been addressed. I am pleased that you found our staff helpful and polite and I hope that you will return to Greenwoods in the future when the refurbishment is complete.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Greenwoods for a two night break, the rooms are clean, if a little tired.

The food differed in the two nights we were there with two different chefs, one much better than the other, but both acceptable and perfectly fine.

The spa was lovely, my facial was the best I've ever had, the only thing I would say is that people reserve beds by the pool, and I really don't think staff should let them, as guests we couldn't lay by the pool as afternoon tea visitors would reserve the beds and not sit on them all day. Very odd and defiantly frustrating.

All in all a lovely hotel that I would defiantly return to and the added bonus is that it's not too far from Central London.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank LondonJudithCharmers
Thank you for your review.
We took over the hotel on 21/2/14 and are currently completing a refurbishment which includes the bedrooms which as you have said are clean but a little tired.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your spa experience and we were not aware of the problem with saving beds around the pool. This has now been addressed and beds should not be reserved. We have exciting plans for the Spa and I hope that you will return in the future to enjoy the new facilities.
Harlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Myself and several members of my family have spent my birthday at Greenwoods Spa for the last 4 years. It has always been lovely but was beginning to tire a little, however, this year was excellent! It looks like a lot of work has gone into an already impressive building. The gardens were immaculate and stunning, the decor welcoming and the pool and spa facilities were fantastic! Eating in the restaurant was an absolute delight and after a great nights sleep we all walked away planning our next visit. Thanks so much to all the staff who made our day so relaxing and keep up the great work with all the improvements.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us
and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Visited Greenwoods for afternoon tea. This was served in the Manor Lodge room and the decor was excellent. The afternoon tea however was unimpressive for the price of £30. The service was unattentive, there was no choice of teas and no replenishing of sandwiches or scones. Would not return for afternoon tea.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank HannahP2011
LucyH0103, General Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for your review of our Cream Tea, Greenwoods Hotel was recently taken over on 21/2/14 and we value all feedback.
I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel but I am disappointed to hear that you did not feel the Cream Tea was good value.
I will look into the points that you have raised and at the current Cream Teas that we serve.
I hope that you enjoyed our cakes which guests frequently tell me are delicious these are all home made in house. I am sure that had you asked for more tea this would not have been a problem, but I take your point and we will consider offering this to our customers in future.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

The spa was beautiful and we loved every second. We were helped by Sam who couldn't have helped us more and really made everything easy and relaxing on our day. If you can, I would suggest to hire the private room, this is so lovely if there is a group of you and it is worth the extra money! Loved every second and I will be booking up again very soon! Thank you Sam and all the other girls!

• Stayed February 2014
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for your review.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and spa. I will
pass on your kind words to Sam and her staff they will be thrilled as it is there
intention that every guest leaves relaxed and happy.
I am sure that she told you about the exciting changes which are planned for the spa and hopefully we will welcome you back to enjoy the new refurbished spa in future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stock
Pontlands Park
#1 of 3 in Feering
Marygreen Manor Hotel
Marygreen Manor Hotel
#1 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Greenwoods Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!