“ok but not as great as previous visits”

Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stock
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“ok but not as great as previous visits”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I've visited Greenwoods several times and have always had a great and relaxing time. I still enjoyed this time but did experience a few things that spoilt it. I visited with my mum and we started our morning with tea and a pastry in the lounge area, this was nice, however my mum got a mouthful of a partly cooked dietary label within her pastry which was a bit off putting! Lunch was nice, however the choices were not dissimilar to the exact menu we had a year ago, thought perhaps something different would have been nice! We both had a treatment, a manicure. Unfortunately this wasn't done very well at all and even though the beautician was very nice, the result was mine and my mums nails looking patchy and it also didn't really last. You also used to get the remainder of the nail polish to take home but this is no longer the case and they had none of the colour I chose for me to purchase and take home. I would return to greenwoods as I have usually had a great time, I'm hoping that this was just an off day!!!

1 Thank johanna c
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your review of a spa day with us at Greenwoods. We value all comments from our guests and have made sure that all feedback has been passed to the appropriate staff to investigate.
The hotel is currently under new ownership and we have plans to refurbish all areas of the hotel and spa. The changing rooms and our function rooms will be finished within the next week, and we have plans to do the restaurant and kitchen in the following weeks. This will include launching a new menu, full of fresh, local ingredients, which we hope you will come back and try.
Our Spa Manager has asked me to apologise for any disappointment with the treatments on the day of your visit. We do always have a member of our management team on duty, to assist with any queries that are brought to our attention, so that we can make sure all of our guests leave us completely satisfied with their experience.
Please do contact us directly to discuss the details of your feedback so that a satisfactory conclusion can be made.
We look forward to hearing from you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Essex
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Having booked the "traditional afternoon tea and jazz" event at this 17th century 4star manor house I was very much looking forward to taking my mother there my sister and niece made a special trip from London to attend . On arrival we were directed out out of the hotel and into a bland, cold marquee. There was no music, the 2 piece jazz band were still setting up in a stage that looked like it was set up and left from a wedding the night before. We waited and we waited with no music or any kind of service. The crockery was mass catering white. We had to pull a waiter aside to order a drink who then announced how much that would be instead of putting a chitty in the table. After waiting an hour we had one cup of tea served from a plastic flask. No one told us the order of the afternoon until I questioned the head waiter. We had no food whilst other tables were having their sandwiches topped up. Finally after guests on another table also speaking with a waiter we received our stand of tea. The scones were burned. We returned three of them. Two were brought back. None of the waiters seemed to be properly trained. All in all the whole afternoon was the worst afternoon tea experience ive ever had. I didnt pay for the extra drinks. Difficult to argue for your money back on the tea as we foolishly paid upfront. Very very poor experience, in a marquee (which was not mentioned when booking). Shame on you Greenwards for charging that price. What a con!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LoopsterEssex
Thank you for your feedback regarding the afternoon tea with jazz we hosted for Mothers Day. We were very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with any aspect of the afternoon and have discussed this with all the relevant staff and management.
We do make all of the cakes, scones and bread from fresh each day and just before service and as such, I am sorry that you did not enjoy this aspect of the afternoon.
Our front of house staff and management have apologised if you were disappointed in their services.
We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly to ensure that your faith in our brand can be restored.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I spent the last weekend at Greenwoods Hotel while I was over from Geneva visiting family. Overall experience was great. I can see they are in the process of making renovations and improvements to the hotel. The hotel has great potential and the new gym is very nice. The service was good and efficient. The evening meal in the restaurant was pleasant. Now the hotel is under new ownership, with time I can see the hotel will only get better and I am looking forward to spending another weekend there in the near future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding a recent visit. We are in the process of sympathetically renovating all of the hotel and spa and we are delighted that you have enjoyed our new facilities.
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay: I have passed your comments along to all of our staff.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Came here with my husband for a spa afternoon with afternoon tea.
The outside of the hotel looks lovely but the rest of it isn't so great. We used the spa which felt old, tired and wasn't very clean. In fact the ladies showers were full of mould and disgusting. The robes were old and threadbare. We ended up not staying in there for very long as it didn't feel like a spa should feel.
Afternoon tea was served by a very pleasant waiter but the food tasted cheap and the scone was stale.
Staff kept telling us that this and that was being renovated but to be honest they shouldn't even be accepting paying guests with it in this state of limbo. They should close it and wait for the renovations to be done instead of taking customers money.
We would not recommend it and will not be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Erica K
Thank you for your message regarding a recent visit to our spa. We are always grateful to receive feedback from our guests and I was very disappointed to learn that you were unhappy with any aspect of your day.
Our new owners took over at the end of February and have replaced all of the towels and gowns we use in the spa and work to the changing rooms will be completed in the next week.
We have been mindful of our guests throughout the renovations and we are sure that customers will be pleased with the results.
All of the cakes we serve for afternoon tea are made freshly each day by our chefs and our staff are on hand and would be happy to deal with any issues that are brought to our attention at the time.
I do hope that you will return soon to see the improvements.
Chelmsford
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is the second time I have visited Greenwoods for afternoon tea. Service was slow and it was very busy. The sandwiches and cakes were very cold as if they had been kept in the fridge. Not a very exciting selection and the scone was very hard. On the positive side we were offered refills of coffee. With a few small changes it could be a pleasant experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jenquy
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your review.
We do not keep our sandwiches and cakes in the fridge so I am surprised
to hear that they were cold and I will look into this.
We constantly review our cakes selection and appreciate your
feedback as it helps us to meet our customers requirements.
I hope that you will come back again in the future and look forward to
seeing you.

Best regards
House Manager
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Came here with friends on a spa day, the hotel is lovely with very friendly staff, had tea & Danish (just over £6 - bit pricey) to start. The spa is very clean & well laid out, the pool water was nice and warm, my only complaint would be that the treatments felt a bit rushed and over priced.

Lunch was amazing I had soup, pork & then eaton mess and it was 5/5

Thoroughly enjoyed the day, I would return & I would recommend

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Greenwoods.
I have passed your comments to the spa manager with regard to
the treatments. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our food
I will pass your compliments on to the chef he will be very pleased, we
feel that he does an excellent job too.
Thanks for your review and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have not been to Greenwoods before so I went with an open mind after reading the mixed reviews on here. As I arrived the first thing I thought was how lovely the outside view was and how charming the building looked. The reception staff were helpful and attentive and although I could see there were building works going on this did not affect our day.

We then went down to the spa and again the reception staff were very nice and happy to help. I think a refurbishment on the spa itself is much needed as it is dated and the sunbeds around the pool are a bit tatty and there were also loose tiles in the pool, but I hear it will all look excellent when finished. However one thing that I found a bit improper was hearing the manager shouting at one of the girls in front of other guests, I thought this was very unprofessional and quite frankly uncomfortable to witness. Treatments were lovely and I was able to completely switch off.

Lunch was very good, I was a bit apprehensive after reading reviews on here about the food but we liked our meals, good portions so would definitely come to the restaurant again.

Overall I think Greenwoods is a lovely place and with this refurbishment it should look brilliant, so I will probably wait and come back when it is all finished.

2 Thank deeA5568
Thank you for your kind review.
I will look into the situation that you have brought to my attention as I agree this is not acceptable. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit to Greenwoods and I agree we
serve some delicious food in our restaurant.
I hope that you will visit us again in the future to try our new refurbished spa and facilities.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stock
Pontlands Park
#1 of 3 in Feering
Marygreen Manor Hotel
Marygreen Manor Hotel
#1 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Greenwoods Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!