“Nice location but that's all”

Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stock
London, United Kingdom
“Nice location but that's all”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed at Greenwoods for one night. Was given 2 key cards which didn't work. Friends also staying had the same problem twice. Tried to call reception from our room but the phone didn't work so had to use my mobile! Breakfast was included in our room rate and so it should be bearing in mind the extortionate room rate. Breakfast was poor - 5 mushrooms and a teaspoon of baked beans - only good thing was the sausage and bacon! Toast was meant to be included but we never received any and no salt and pepper on table. Fruit juice jugs were not replenished and nobody about to ask for more. Nobody came to our table to ask if everything was ok or if we needed anything else. If breakfast wasn't included in room rate you had to pay £20. What a rip off. All in all poor service and expensive.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sam D D
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding a recent overnight stay with us. I am sorry to learn that you have been disappointed with any aspect of your experience and have made sure that all your comments have been passed along to the relevant staff.
We are in the process of updating and improving many of our facilities throughout the hotel and will use all of our customer feedback to ensure that we enhance our guests experience.
We will be updating all of our door lock systems throughout the hotel with a new and modern system to alleviate any issues going forward.
Our new head chef is currently redeveloping all of our menus and we will be introducing a new style breakfast service in the next few weeks, which we are positive our guests will enjoy. I am sorry if you were disappointed on this occasion and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you in person.
Please contact me at the hotel.
Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I had my 50th Birthday party/soirée at Greenwoods on the 27 th March 2014, which was a triumph.
The staff was really accommodating ,professional ,friendly and totally understood my brief and my needs for my party. Hannah was a gem and able to help me plan such a special day. I have been to Greenwoods in the past over 3 years ago and I hated my experiences then ,but this time it was perfect and I can be very hard to pease and difficult! Receptionists were pleasant and also accommodating as I had people and suppliers back and forth to hotel bringing the cakes, balloons ,music. We had the use of the library and meeting room for my party, everything was set up beautifully before I arrived ,by the hotel staff and the house Manager( cannot remember his name) planned everything, serving staff ,Buffet , drinks all executed at the right times, I did not even have to stress over anything.. This hotel was so good that I was allowed to bring some of my Caribbean food to be served to my guests! For me that was important and that's a great service to me . My bedroom was beautiful and my friends rooms were grand..we loved the old style,clean and quiet. Breakfast was great, tasty ,hot and the waitress was friendly and treated us with respect. My friends and I were very impressed with everything and our experience at Greenwoods.. I just hope that it continues. Hope that my experience this time around was due to the new management in place which I think is a great thing. Beautiful hotel in a great location. Thank you for making my Birthday very special .

Room Tip: Rooms 007 and 15.. Very beautiful..love the old fashioned decor and marble bathrooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review a function you held at Greenwoods. We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know your positive feedback and I have made sure that all of the relevant staff have been made aware.
Hannah and all of our front of house team, work hard to ensure that all of our guests enjoy every aspect of their function and I am so pleased to hear that you did. We aim to meet and exceed our clients expectations wherever possible and pride ourselves on being able to provide a professional and friendly service.
Our new owners have already started the process of improving all of the services and facilities throughout the hotel and I hope that you will come back soon to see even more positive changes.
We are delighted that you chose to celebrate your special occasion with us and hope to welcome you for many more in the future.
stockport
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding at the end of March. Arrived at 9.30pm and check in was easy. Receptionist offered to take our luggae to the room, but this was not necessary. We ordered room service but was told that there was no hot food available an only ham and salmon sandwiches, which we ordered. The food arrived quickly and was nice. The room was lovely, nice big size, with two large windows that let loads of light in. The heater in the room was a problem, we couldn't turn it off, so sometimes the room was unbearably hot. Shower was nice and powerful and hot.
We also asked for breakfast in our room, which was delivered on time and was very nice. We didn't use any of the spa or gym facilities whilst we were there as we didn't have time due to attending a wedding. The wedding was held in the marquee, the food was nice and plentiful.

Sunday breakfast - we also had this in our room, the sausages weren't cooked.

I paid £288.00 for bed and breakfast for two pople for two nights. I'm glad I didn't pay the standard rate, but overall it was really nice, peaceful and the reception staff were lovely.

Room Tip: We stayed in room number 4 which had 2 big windows and loads of light
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review a recent stay with us at Greenwoods. We appreciate all the feedback we are given. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and found our staff helpful and friendly, as we do aim to ensure that all of our guests are given a first class service.
I have noted your comments regarding the heating and will make sure our maintenance staff look into this immediately. Thank you for mentioning it.
We do have members of our management team on duty at all times, who would always be willing to assist with any issues that are brought to our attention at the time.
We have recently been taken over by new management who are in the process of renovating all areas of the hotel, to include the gym, pool, spa and all public areas. We have also employed an fantastic new head chef, who brings with him fresh and exciting ideas for our menus.
I do hope that you will come back and see the improvements for yourself in the near future.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We arrived at 15.30hrs at Greenwood's hotel for our prebooked Mothers day Jazz afternoon tea. However on arrival we were escorted to a marquee in the grounds of the hotel leaving the beautiful hotel behind us. The atmosphere was dull & no jazz music was playing as we arrived. The table looked bare with just the minimal essentials we sat down & waited & continued waiting for the next hour until we were served with a pot of luke warm tea which was heavily tea strained & dirty. Our high tea of special selected cakes & sandwiches were awful the fairy cakes hardly touched the top of the paper cases they were sitting in & they were hard & over cooked, the oblong shape sandwiches were few & barely any filling so we requested extra sandwiches these sandwiches were presented to us from the left overs of another table it was disgusting! My daughter pleaded with me to keep calm & not complain initially until after the event. In total I paid £104 for 4 persons including 4 cold drinks at an extra £8 for this awful experience at Greenwood hotel. Yesterday I emailed my concerns to the house manager Lucy Harding I wait her reply in the hope that this extremely poor management is rectified immediately with a full refund & apology from the hotel manager.

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank Christine1800
Thank you for your comments regarding you afternoon tea with us on mothers day. We were very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the quality of our afternoon tea.
We have taken on board your comments regarding the feel and look of the marquee and will certainly make sure that we provide more decorative features on our next event.
We have now spoken to you directly and I hope that you will consider coming back to Greenwoods and sampling the dishes and cakes that our excellent new head chef is now preparing for our guests.
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

So disappointed and embarrassed with my latest experience at Greenwoods. Booked as a venue for my training "launch". Moved from an indoor conference room to the marquee, which i knew about a few weeks before. A catalogue of errors, including late arrival tea/coffee for my students, no extension leads, tables not cleared, late lunch and incomplete lunch. A twin room with a double bed that we asked to be seperated, which wasn't. By 12pm we were cold and asked for a heater, we then had my husband and 2 of my students husbands bringing heaters and extension leads from home as greenwoods only had one small heater. It was so cold you could see the air we were breathing! Had to stop at 3pm to warm up our models, so had to order extra tea coffee which we were told were complimentary. Heating went back on at 4pm. We had to ask for everything, no water had been provided, lunch was a joke, fruit was mouldy. I was totally embarrassed and ready to cry. When I contacted greenwoods the next day I was told they would get back to me that day, 2 days later I get an email saying they apologise and were wavering the remainder balance. I emailed back saying I would be interested to know what was on the bill as I was under the impression I was £20 in credit! Low and behold, the tea and coffee for our 6 models which we only gave them as they were so cold had been put on the bill!

I have now been offered tea for two, presumably so they can use that £20 credit up! I did clarify I wouldn't have to pay extra! I wonder whether I should donate it to the heating of the marquee?

I have always loved Greenwoods but the total lack of regard from the staff and the fact we had to ask for EVERYTHING, coupled with the fact the gas cylinder ran out and we were frozen for 3 hours has left an extremely bad taste in my mouth. I won't be booking future venues there, I'm assuming I wasn't important enough :(. What a shame.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Claudia K
Thank you for your feedback regarding a recent booking at Greenwoods. I am very sorry to learn that you were unhappy with the service provided to your event.
As you are aware we have recently been taken over by new owners who are investing a great deal of money in renovating all areas of the hotel as well as focussing on improving our service and standards.
We have already made huge improvements throughout the hotel and have taken all of your comments on board to ensure that we can provide our guests with an improved service going forward.
We are currently looking for ways to provide a more permanent gas supply to the heaters in the marquee to avoid running out of gas. We have also just started our new executive head chef, who is keen to improve all of our restaurant and function menus.
We do hope that you will come and visit us again to see these positive changes for yourself.
I do understand that you have been in contact with my colleagues and we are in the process of restoring your faith in our brand.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
BRENTWOOD ESSEX
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Seems I have been beaten in writing my review on here about our experience at Greenwoods for afternoon tea, it was an awful experience and did feel sorry for my daughter who had booked this treat in January, arrived at 3.30 and waited in a very cold marquee, it was an hour and ten minutes before we have a drink offered to us coffee from a flask, there were six of us and only managed to set the table for four and had to ask for extra plates, when we asked about our sandwiches were given thick inedible sandwiches full of spread or cucumber, I did feel embarrassed as I wanted to complain but did not want to cause a seen, my daughter went to complain as the sandwiches also had green mold on them, as did the ladies on the table next to us, in the end we found ourselves moaning the whole afternoon, we would have had more fun staying at home with a meal deal from the local supermarket.
Our table came to £144.00 for the six of us the food came to no more than £20.00, I have worked in catering for the past 35 years and I am appalled of the way we were treated I know my daughter has sent an email of complaint today and will let you know the response,

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank DEBRAGREEN
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your afternoon tea visit to Greenwoods.
We were very sorry to learn that any of your party was disappointed with their afternoon tea experience. Afternoon tea is one of our most popular packages and we pride ourselves on being able to offer the most exclusive service and standards to our guests.
We are currently under new ownership and are renovating all areas of the hotel as well as upgrading our services and so we hope you will come back to Greenwoods to experience this for yourself.
We have passed along your comments to the relevant staff and chefs and will ensure that your comments are acted upon.
We would be happy to discuss this with you personally; please contact me directly at the hotel.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Went here for Afternoon Tea with Jazz and was very disappointed. The cake selection was poor mainly fairy cakes with blobs of coloured icing and raspberries on top which looked like they had been made by a child. The sandwich fillings were ordinary and lacking in imagination. The scones were undercooked and doughy. The price however was extortionate! My recommendation - avoid Greenwoods and go to Pontlands Park, the Ivy Hill Hotel or Orsett Hall for a better more enjoyable experience at half the cost.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DM123101
Thank you for your comments regarding the mothers day afternoon tea package that you attended with us. We were very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with any aspect of your afternoon. We pride ourselves on being able to offer the most exclusive service and standards to our guests and find that our jazz events are usually very well received.
We are under new management and have now employed a new head chef, who we are sure will bring a very high standard to all of our restaurant and afternoon tea offerings.
I have made all of our kitchen team aware of your comments and we will ensure that our next event exceeds all our clients expectations.
I do hope that you will come back and visit us again. Please contact me directly if you wish to make another booking and I will make sure you are well looked after.
Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stock
Pontlands Park
#3 of 12 in Chelmsford
Prested Hall Hotel
Prested Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Feering

Been to Greenwoods Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!