“Fantastic as always”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stock
London
“Fantastic as always”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have stayed at Greenwoods on many occasions with various people and have always had a brilliant experience. With our previous visits in mind there was no doubt about where we would hold our wedding reception as food, staff, grounds and general ambiance are fantastic.

When staying at the hotel I had on a number of occasions mentioned to my family/friends that the hotel, although beautiful, could gain from some small refurbishment works to freshen the look. I was delighted to find out that the new owner had immediate plans to do so and so far the transformation is great.

We held our wedding reception in the marquee in June (after a couple of years of planning with the fantastic co-ordinator Kelly) and could not fault Greenwoods or the staff at all. We stayed for two nights and had a wonderful meal the evening before the wedding and were very well looked after for the entirety of our stay. The wedding breakfast and buffet were delicious and well presented, the marquee was set up stunningly by Kelly and our suppliers and the staff were extremely friendly and attentive. The hotel was booked out by our guests and all commented on how lovely Greenwoods is as a venue.

One of the reasons that we chose Greenwoods was due to the fact that they hold only one event per day and this makes it very appealing to anybody planning a wedding/party. We have never experienced any issues with the staff, food or cleanliness and we would be the first to complain if this was the case.

All in all I must commend Greenwoods and it's staff (especially Kelly), not only for always providing us with an enjoyable stay but, for helping us have our dream wedding day.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Sweetie23London
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your past experiences and recent wedding with us at Greenwoods. We are delighted that you choose us as the venue to celebrate your special day and are so pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your day and the lead up to it.
Our staff work hard to ensure that our guests have a first-class experience and Kelly takes great pride in her work and always goes the extra mile for her wedding guests as you have noticed.
Our new owners have renovated much of the hotel and spa already and our next step is the bedrooms which will be started shortly.
We have upgraded our service, menus and facilities for the benefit of our loyal customers and it is a pleasure to be receiving so much good feedback.
We do hope that you will come back and visit us again soon- to celebrate your 1st anniversary or another special occasion and see the rest of the improvements.
On behalf of all the staff at Greenwoods, we would like to congratulate you on your wedding and wish you a very happy life together.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Romford
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at Greenwoods twice, on both occasions the room, service and treatments were great! The only slight criticism I have is on the second visit the steam and sauna were not working! But the engineer had been called. However the food was excellent and the staff were lovely. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Helle86
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for your review of a stay with us late last year. We have now almost completed a refurbishment programme which has upgraded every area in the hotel, including our: brand new gym, new patio areas, renovated our lounge, function rooms and pool areas and opened a new juice bar in the spa. We have also installed a top of the range, new sauna and steam room, which has proved very popular with our guests so far.
We are about to begin works to our bedrooms and our new -look restaurant will be launching very soon.
We do hope that you are able to plan a visit soon to see the improvements for yourself.
Do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance.
UK
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Being such a beautiful place, it is so sad that the concept of hospitality, politeness and general know how of how to run a hotel is not understood

I'll start with the positives. The hotel is beautiful. The interior designer has done a fab job (other than the restaurant). The gardeners should be patted on the back for doing such a beautiful job. But unfortunately any good points stop there

My initial interactions with the hotel did not put me in a good frame of mind before I arrived I have to say

I originally emailed the hotel to check availability and price and asking for a room with a balcony or terrace. Two days later they came back with a price of £155 for the night, making much of the fact that included spa access (which I later found out every room price does). No answer to my query relating to a balcony or terrace. Two days after after asking again I got a reply. Only one room has facility. Available for my dates. Good

I then go on to booking.com to check the price. £100 per night !!!!! How can a hotel offer a higher price when booking direct and when there are no commissions to be paid

I therefore booked via booking.com with free cancellation within seven days. I then realised I had booked the wrong date and cancelled it within seven days, supposedly free of charge. The an email came in to say that I was being charged.

I contacted booking.com who were as efficient as possible, They agreed that the cancellation should be free and noticed that there was a disparity with the booking conditions they had and those being imposed by the hotel booking.com sorted it out but wasn't over pleased on this after the hotel had tried to charge me an additional £55

I rebooked for the correct night and included the request for the terrace/balcony room and asked the hotel to let me know if that wasn't possible. I heard nothing. So assumed all ok

Turned up at the hotel. A most pretty receptionist but one who has yet to learn how to smile. Or at least be polite. Check in was perfunctory. I asked about the terrace/balcony. Not available. I referred her to my booking note. Nothing to do with her unfortunately but she would check with reservations. Heard nothing. She informed me that the room I wanted had been booked for a long time. I told her that wasn't true as I had checked on the day of booking that it was still available. Again, she was clear nothing to do with her at all.

I went up to the room. Very nicely decorated BUT:

1. First thing that greeted me was a sheet telling me when and where I could wear the supplied dressing gown. I do think I know enough not to wander into a bar or restaurant wearing same !
2. No gown supplied though (apparently if you want one you have to go to the spa to get). Crazy
3. No power points at desk level. Had to scramble on the floor every time For a refurbished hotel that is unacceptable - especially as I was having to do that to plug the kettle in
4. The woodwork in the room was bashed and scratched and filthy (I don't think anyone has cleaned since the works were complete)
5. The TV is the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel
6. The shampoo and conditioner is screwed to the wall. Seriously. And at a height that a shorter person than I could not possibly reach
7. In the night, I wanted a glass of water. NO WATER in the room. Had to drink out of tap. Horrible
8. Was peckish also during the night Attacked the two biscuits supplied. Stale
9. I went past the reception desk a number of times - not once did a receptionist smile, say good morning or whatever.
10. I elected to pay extra for breakfast. Sat at a window table in the only soulless part of the hotel - the dining room. I was moved from there as it had been set for lunch (this is 9 am)
11. For £20 I got the smallest breakfast I have ever seen. The buffet consisted of a couple of tired looking pastries and a bit of fruit. The English breakfast did have a big sausage and thick bacon but both lacked flavor. I do not eat very much at the best of times but I left the table feeling hungry which is most unusual
12. The coffee arrived in a cafetiere. I swear it was instant coffee put in that - it was incredibly weak and worse than a powdered Nescafe

I was due to eat dinner in the hotel but switched when I saw how the staff react to guests - the Bakers' Arms over the road do fabulous food and definitely worth using as an alternative

To cap it off, after not enjoying this hotel at all I asked a member of staff how I could contact the new owners as I felt they should know what is happening here. I was rudely told that guests are not allowed to speak with the owners. I asked to speak to the manager. Was told he was on his break and I would have to wait Amazing!

But not surprising as when I go through the reviews on TA for this hotel there are some really bad ones and noone from the hotel has acknowledged or replied to any of them

At the end of the day, the hotel in most respects is beautiful. But they are presenting themselves as something they are not - luxury isn't just about furnishings, it's about quality of service and on that count the hotel is one of the worst I have ever stayed in

Room Tip: don't stay
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
11 Thank Carolineess
Thank you for your review and kind comments about the hotel refurbishments and gardens which we are all very proud of. Our refurbishments have been ongoing since our new owners took over in February 2014.
I am surprised however that you found our check-in perfunctory as many of our guests have commented on our reception staff being very polite and courteous. Maybe as you have stated, your initial interaction, before arriving at the hotel, did not put you in a good frame of mind. We have spoken to the reception staff regarding your comments and they have confirmed that you were not happy when you initially walked in the door. You have obviously been to many spa's however for some of our guests it is their first time, so we always point out the areas of the hotel where there are other non-spa guests and where robes are not permitted. Robes are distributed via the spa reception, as previous guests have inadvertently taken them home and are upset when we have to charge them for it.
Unfortunately, although we have completed a great deal of work since February, we have not yet started on the bedrooms, which are due to begin in schedules phases starting in mid-September 2014. All of your points: 4,5,6,7 are already being dealt within the refurbishment. I would like to point out that when the hotel was purchased in February many of the T.V's in the bedrooms did not work, so we replaced them in the short term with the current ones, but part of the refurbishment will include replacing them with new, large flatscreen T.V's.
We refute your comments regarding the biscuits being stale as these are checked daily by our housekeepers.
We have also taken on board your comments regarding the water in the bedrooms and this will be addressed this week.
With regards to our restaurant; this is currently undergoing renovations and I am surprised that you did not see one of the two 'mood boards' we in place, showing the changes that are taking place and due to be completed by mid-September 2014.
We take on board your comments also regarding the breakfast buffet as this is something we are currently addressing. We am shocked that you thought your coffee was instant as we have confirmed that all the coffee we use is filter coffee. As you must appreciate, everyone's tastes are different and had you asked for a stronger coffee however, our staff would have been very happy to supply this.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Baker's Arms, as you say, it is a very nice pub.
I hope that the above gives you an idea of what we are currently doing at Greenwoods during all of our hard work. Unfortunately I feel that during your stay, we were never going to meet your standards.
I hope you continue to enjoy your travels, as I can see you have visited and reviewed many places and enjoy writing reviews.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have just been back to Greenwoods and I am amazed at the transformation of the Hotel following the recent refurbishment. It is fabulous, the new Spa facilities are very impressive and the service that we received was absolutely first class.

I have booked to stay over xmas

Room Tip: Stay in the 17th century building.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StanBubbles
Thank you for your review of a recent visit to us. We are so pleased that you have commented on the renovations that have taken place since your last visit. It is a pleasure to learn that the hard work has paid off!
Customer service is our focus and our staff are always delighted to assist in any way possible. I have passed your comments along to all of our staff, with thanks.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Christmas- when you will be able to see our new-look bedrooms and restaurant.
Ipswich
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My best friend have just spent a fantastic day at Greenwoods. We had a number of spa treatments, all of which were very relaxing. The surroundings are lovely & the staff could not be friendlier. Afterwards we had afternoon tea which was scrumptious & despite being very busy the service was on the ball & the quality top notch. Will be going back very soon! Highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Njbelles
Thank you for the positive review of your recent visit to Greenwoods. We are so pleased when our guests enjoy their experience with us and take the take to write their review.
We have invested a great deal in upgrading all the service and standards throughout the hotel and in particular our staff have been focussed on making sure our guests all receive a first-class treatment.
Our afternoon tea is one of our most popular packages and we are delighted with our new head chefs fantastic home made selection of cakes and treats.
We do hope that you will come back and visit us again when our restaurant is re-launched in September to try our wonderful new menus.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had a voucher for afternoon tea and spa and really enjoyed it. I was pre advised that building works were ongoing but as we had not booked any treatments it did not affect us. Of course you could see parts of it were undergoing refurbishment but good on them for giving the hotel a facelift. The afternoon tea was perfect, excellent attention to detail and the cakes were delicious. Service was impeccable throughout from reception to restaurant. I personally found the loungers around the pool difficult to adjust but a minor criticism and maybe just us! I'm sure when a group of us went years ago we had tea served to us when sitting round the pool, I'm not sure of the restrictions with health and safety but it would be nice to have refreshments in the pool area if possible. I would not hesitate to go again, be nice to see further improvements taking place and think it is excellent value for money!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SueR725
Thank you for taking the time to review your afternoon tea and spa visit to us at Greenwoods. We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your day and have been impressed by the recent renovations that have taken place. We have now completed all of our public areas and spa and await the finishing touches for our restaurant by mid -September.
Thank you for your feedback regarding our new sun-loungers around the pool. I have spoken to our maintenance and spa staff to ensure that the correct guidance is in place in case our guests are experiencing difficulties using them; we will continue to monitor this going forward. Thank you for bringing to our attention.
It is has never been our policy to allow food or drink into the pool room itself, as crockery, glassware etc can cause issues for our guests if they are accidently broken.
We have now opened our juice bar in the spa and we would be happy to serve afternoon tea in this area for any guests that do not wish to have in our lounge or restaurant.
We do hope that you will come back again soon and see all the final improvements for yourself.
Chigwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

At £230 a night (and this we were led to believe was a discount because we were wedding guests) one might reasonably expect a half decent hotel. Not so at the impressively named Greenwoods Estate Spa and Retreat. Less impressive was our shabby room (remember this has a four-star rating) which had an electric fan for air conditioning, no mini bar, two mis-matched single beds pushed together to form a double, a pathetic shower in the bath that flooded the bathroom whenever it was used, a micro-sized TV, minimal toiletries in the bathroom and barely enough room to swing a cat. Breakfast featured a poor attempt at a buffet - tasteless fresh fruit, less than fresh croissants and pastries and a chef who managed simultaneously to undercook my boiled eggs and overcook my wife's poached eggs. We will not be hurrying back.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, select a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Michael191145
LucyH0103, Manager at Greenwoods Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for the review of the hotel which we have read with interest. We value all feedback from our guests and take all comments on board. We have recently refurbished all of our public areas and gardens and the bedroom refurbishment is due to start shortly. All of our bedrooms are maintained to the highest standard and it is very rare for us to receive complaints regarding the standard of these rooms.
We are planning to renovate all of our bedrooms to a very high standard, to match that of the rest of the hotel and will ensure that your comments are taken on board.
We do hope that you will come and see these improvements for yourself in the near future.
Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stock
Pontlands Park
#1 of 3 in Feering
Marygreen Manor Hotel
Marygreen Manor Hotel
#1 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Greenwoods Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!