“mixed feelings”

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
Essex
“mixed feelings”
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Stayed here as part of a Christmas Party.

On arrival, it looks pretty nice, tastefully decorated etc. We were promptly booked in and allocated block 6 in the Villiage. Now, if you are not young and fit dont bother because its at 10 - 15 min walk down a long corridor and then outside in the freezing cold, with luggage (no one helps...no bell boy etc) poorly lit signs for the rooms too!!

Anyway, got into the room, they are lovely, huge bed and TV, room was lovely and warm, i had a large balcony, bathrooms are nice etc. It is only on closer inspection you see the faults i.e. cracks in the bathroom walls, poor finish, there was hair on the bathroom floor (not mine!!) bathrooms are a big issue for me and they need to be clean!
The bed on the other hand was very comfortable and i probably had the best nights sleep ever.

As far as the Christmas meal and entertainment, I went to 3 Rivers last year for half the price and it was much better than this.

The food was tasteless and if not burnt it was underdone. I had salmon serverd with carrotts and brussel sprouts?!? I like sprouts but these were rubbery and tasted microwaved.

The table wine was un drinkable!! Had to spend even more money at the bar!

The entertainment was poor, played a few current tunes and the reminader was cheesy 80's dont get me wrong i like a classic and a bit of cheese but not for 2 hours straight!!

The walk back to the villiage was cold and dark, again though the room was very nice and warm.

The breakfast was good, lots of choice and tasty.

I would not go back for a Christmas party. I would possibly stay here on a weekend break / spa break but would check the cleanliness of the bathrooms first!!

Room Tip: Dont stay in the Villiage unless you have good walking shoes on!!!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Ben C D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 27 December 2011
Dear "K4A",
Thank you for your comments following your visit to our Resort. Please accept my sincere apologies if we did not live fully up to your expectations.

We are offering a wide range of rooms at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester - Five Lakes. Your room was in The Village and these rooms are very popular with many of our guests, particulary with those who would like privacy and being away from the busy environment in the main hotel. We did complete a refurbishment of all the bedrooms in the main hotel in August last year. The Village is due for a refurbishment in the next year, in the meantime we are very active making sure that cosmetic issues are being addressed to ensure that we can be proud of all our rooms.

Many comments have been given about the quality of sleep while staying at our Resort. Just like you, many have found our beds to be outstanding. Thank you for mentioning this in your review!

I am of course sorry to see that the entertainment at your Christmas party was not to your liking. Our Resident DJ do take requests and adjust his/her playlist to what seems to be the wants and needs by that particular group of people. The Grilled Salmon was served with seasonal vegetables, freshly cooked by our brigade of Chefs.

We have received much praise for our Christmas parties this year, and once again, I would like to offer my apologies for not fully living up to your expectations.

Ben C Danielsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Uk
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We went here with 2 other couples for a 60th birthday. I booked kingsize rooms and a comedy club evening. The hotel over charged me by £240 for the rooms. After my calling them twice they refunded my credit card but not for the full amount, which caused me problems with my credit card company. So after many calls and emails I finally got it sorted and the full amount refunded. The Hotel is lovely but it seems like the Administrators have not been trained very well. No complaints about the other staff, but we didn't get the kingsize rooms we got twin doubles! The alchol is VERY EXPENSIVE.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Ben C D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 31 December 2011
Dear “nannee”,
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us here at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes.

Please accept my sincerest of apologies for the confusion around the charges and the delays in getting the refund through to you. The overcharge was due to a human error and unfortunately this was not spotted by any party.

I am glad that we did manage to put it right in the end and I would like to offer my sincerest of apologies once more.

We do price comparisons frequently with other Resorts to ensure that we remain competitive and I am sorry to see that you did find us to be expensive in our Coctail Bar.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, on such occasion I do hope we will be able to create, for all the right reasons, a memorable stay.

London
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Booked Comedy night for four people plus two rooms with two double beds in each through the events office at the hotel; very slow process but was assured everything was booked. Four of us got to the hotel to find we were booked in for one night only with one double bed in each room. Luckily the reception staff were efficient and changed it with the mininum of fuss. No assistance offered to carry luggage. We were planning to spend Xmas here but the events team were so slow with their responses plus they could never get the correct information to us - one particular question we asked we got three different answers for! We decided it wasn't worth taking the risk. Hotel very nice; rooms lovely; not enough staff and very little customer service. We were eating breakfast and had to hold on to the plates on our table otherwise they were being whisked away! One of us turned round to see something and when she turned back her coffee had gone! Comedy night very good but buffet meal indifferent and so many people took multiple desserts that there was nothing left for the people who ate later. Spa very good but over the whole hotel there seems to be a need for better staff service. Prices in the bar exorbitant - we ate out the second night because the value for money just wasn;t there. The reception took a swipe of my credit card when we arrived assuring us that nothing would go through = I checked the card today and money has gone through which I have now got to ask them to refund. All in all rather disappointing = a nice hotel spoiled by lack of customer care and service.

Room Tip: The hotel consists of wings all going from a central atrium. We had a room overlooking the entrance...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear “MrsJonesLondon”
Thank you for your comments both here on Tripadvisor and directly to me following your visit to us earlier this month.

I am of course delighted that you overall enjoyed your stay and at the same time sad to see that we came across a little bit “unpolished” in creating the finer details during your stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for our short comings, both during the booking process and during your stay. It is great to see that Ana on Reception managed to correct our error done during the booking process. As one of the newest arrivals in the Crowne Plaza family, the team is working hard to meet all our guests expectations and we are continuing our training and development of our teams to ensure that we are creating, for all the right reasons, memorable stays to our Resort.

Hopefully you will be able to book a future residential Christmas break with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you to the Resort in the future.

I have looked into the issues raised with regards to payment that you raised in your Tripadvisor review; this had to do with the change of payment instructions. On arrival a pre-authorisation was done on one card and on departure payment was split onto three cards. Your bank then needed several days to release these funds to you.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies or our shortcomings. Do not hesitate to contact me directly should there be any further comments.

Kind regards,

essex, uk
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We had celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary the night before our stay at the Five Lakes with a party. To get away the day after for a chilled out stay and recovery time was great. They kindly upgraded us to an executive room free of charge as it was a special anniversary. The room was gorgeous and probably the best hotel bed we've ever slept!! We had booked a package which included evening meal and breakfast. The food was lovely with good choice. The breakfast although buffet, was freshly cooked (not in huge quantities so it was left going cold) and it was delicious. We used the spa which was nice with a really hot steam room (which I loved). Being December, it was cold but bright which meant we could walk around the grounds. Lovely golf course and lovely surroundings. All in all, a really lovely stay, wish we could have stayed a second night.

Room Tip: Go for the executive option, it was lovely
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear “Lorraine2608”,
Thank you so much for your very kind words following your “get away stay” with us earlier this month. I am pleased to see that we celebrated with you your 30th Anniversary by ways of upgrading you to one of our Executive Rooms.

I do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Wishing you and yours all the best for 2012!

United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Having stayed in a few branded hOtels over the years none have even come close to the standard of this newly refurbed crowne plaza resort hidden away in the beautiful countryside! Crisp, clean design at the entrance wonderful friendly and non pretentious reception staff very helpful and nothing too much trouble. This was an anniversary weekend away, our young son staying with nanny and 2 glorious evenings away with the hubby. I take much time and review reading in booking hotels and this was no exception. I booked an executive room and we were given a room at the very end of a corridor overlooking a pond and miles of green lush land. Very very quiet except for the occasional rumble and sqealing of a service lift which I discovered the shaft ran behind our room.(I will out of courtesy contact the GM about this as i feel it probably just needs a little oiling or a service) anyway after an effortless check in we made our way through the elegant foyer and to the lift to our room and what a lovely surprise a room larger than expected with a 7ft by 7ft bed, complemtary waters, dressing gowns and toiletries. Most executive rooms I have stayed in have barely enough room to swing a cat here you could swing several lions if u needed too! Huge tv with entertainment system internet and room service menu included. Comfortable sofa, mini bar. Bathroom was a brown marble which was lovely and very very clean. Fixtures as in shower could do with updating and maybe anshower door as the shower was so fantastically powerful it kept blowing the curtain out thus causing a bit of a flood. Bathroom was good size bath and shower separate which is a bonus. Now the bed.... Where can I start amazing.... Best nights sleep in a long long time altho on waking up I actually wondered if hubby had actually stayed the night as he was so far away on the other side of the bed lOl. I got hubby to have a look at the make so that we can look into getting one for home... Fingers crossed. We ate in the room on our arrival altho there is two very very nice restaurants we didn't sample these as we were too relaxed to stay out the room for long. room service menu was nice and part from the brasserie menu and part from bar menu, not a massive choice tbh but sufficient enough. First night hubby had steak perfect! I went for the dim sum platter also perfect. Room service chaps very friendly and not at all imposing. Lunch next day we went to the bar lacu, great atmosphere but very very few signs of staff! A lady busy cleaning and a very occasional streak by of a man in black waiter who finally came to us 20 mins after sitting down and seemed a little put out but this was the only chap who let the place down a little. We had steak baguette and lamb burger again perfect but a very long wait considering there was only one other person in bar drinking and the two restaurants were closed? Were we forgotten? In both times that we had room service within 20 mins of picking up the phone our meals arrived at the door! Fantastic. Would totally recommend this hotel for groups, couples and families, the resort is huge with golf and country club, gym and pool. I would love tO get my hands on the people who should advertise this place it's not getting the recognition it deserves by far and the website is not doing it any justice. Congratulations Fab hotel

• Stayed November 2011
Dear “Hikingwarrior”,
Thank you so much for a fantastic review of your visit to our Resort. I am of course absolutely delighted to hear such praise, at the same time I have noted down the two issues around the noise from our service lift and the delay in food service in Lacu Bar. Both these will be addressed.

Going away for a much needed break, a couple of nights away from every day life, celebrating your anniversary; no pressure! I am delighted we delivered an exceptional stay!

Lastly, thank you for sharing the news with others about "this little gem"! Thank you for being a trail blazer and finding yoyr way to us!

Crediton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

First visit to this Crowne Plaza and overall it was a good experience. We live only 30 odd miles from the hotel and decided on a weekend break.
We were not greeted as Platinum Priority club members at reception, but a query about the package we were on was dealt with very efficiently by the staff, we got a full explanation of the hotel which was good.
The room was fine,clean, well serviced, and I liked the separate shower and bath,also a big flat screen TV.
The bar area was good but drinks here are expensive. We ate in the Brassiere restaurant and the food was very good, but £25 for a bottle of Pinot Grigio is frankly ridiculous.
The staff were without fail courteous and friendly and special mention to Emily who served us breakfast and dinner and who was a delight, friendly and helpful.
I would not come here again for just a weekend break, but if you want a spa and to play golf this is the place for you, I was somewhat put off by numerous people walking around in bathrobes and the the central area had the whiff of chlorine from the pool.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear “martinshrimper”,
Thank you for your kind words following your visit to our Resort. I am happy to see that it was an overall good stay, but saddened to see that we missed out on a few points that would have made a good stay into a great stay! Your Platinum members status should have been acknowledged, please accept my sincere apologies for failing to do so.

We will rectify the issue of the smell of chlorine that occasionally manifests itself in the corridor located next to the pool hall. However, there is no quick fix for this issue as it involves upgrading our pool plant air handling units.

We do frequently perform price comparisons with other Resorts to ensure that we maintain a competitive pricing policy in all our outlets. We are offering wines at different pricing levels with the prices starting from under £20 per bottle.

Your kind words about our staff in general and Emily in particular is much appreciated and much valued.

Once again, thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

The room is great, big bed, lots of space. The food and service were good. The decor of the reception and restaurant might not be to everybody's taste. Overall it's a good quality good value place to stay. The staff are very helpful

• Stayed November 2011
Dear “Phil2003”,
Thank you for your kind words following your stay with us. Delighted to see that you found the team here to be helpful and the overall facilities and service good. I do not comment in general on how people find our décor as this is a very personal thing. I am delighted to see that it creates a discussion point and that the majority of the feedback we get is positive on the “new look” at Crowne Plaza Resort Colcheser – Five Lakes.

Once again, thank you for your very kind words.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tolleshunt Knights
#1 of 1 in Eight Ash Green
Wivenhoe House
Wivenhoe House
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes? Share your experiences!