“Lazy Sunday night Spa Break”

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
Reviewed 6 May 2013

four ladies, one Sunday, fab spa break. We have just returned from Five Lakes after a lovely Sunday night spa break. We arrived on Sunday morning at 11.00am for the Sunday spa break which included 2 mini treatments. Even though our rooms were not ready until 2.00 pm we left our luggage in reception and headed straight to the spa area to book extra treatments, we had already booked our inclusive treatments for 1.30. First impressions were good, the spa reception staff very friendly and offered us robes as we couldn't get to the ones in our rooms yet. We went down to the bar area and ordered lunch or tried to order lunch but no-one came for our order! Eventually we managed to order and when lunch arrived it was excellent, smoked salmon sandwiches and skinny fries. Back to reception and checked in, rooms were very close to spa rooms 147 and 148. Inclusive treatments were good if a bit short, I had a manicure but the therapist didn't cut my cuticles whereas my friend had the same treatment and her therapist did. All the mini treatments were listed as 30 mins each on spa seekers but were 20 mins at the resort. We sat outside as the weather was brilliant and could have done with a few sun loungers instead had to make do with iron chairs and no seat padding. Hard on the rear end! We had Pimms which again was lovely but we waited an awful long time, tongues were hanging out when they did arrive. Service throughout was bit slow but very accommodating. Our rooms were lovely and the beds to die for. Evening meal was lovely, we had buffet which was included in our package, our waiter was Cosmo who was a trainee and very attentive, he will go far. Breakfast was a great selection of hot and cold food and Cosmo was in attendance again. We wandered around in our robes and had breakfast and lunch on Monday in them. Lunch was taken in the restaurant and was included in our deal. All in all we had a great bargain deal, one night stay with breakfast, lunch and 3 course dinner and two treatments included, check out 3.00 pm. Only a couple of gripes, the pool area was not great, I thought the changing rooms were in need of updating and too many children! If you are going for a relaxing break don't bank on using the pool and relaxing around it as there is not enough loungers and its not big enough. This is a hotel with a spa attached. If the weather was not so great I think we would have struggled as there was not a lot of room to chill out (if you've been to Champneys you'll know what I mean).

Room Tip: Ask for rooms near the spa if thats what you are going for .
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jillyd1957
JohnAngusG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Dear Jillyd1957

Thank you for your feedback following your fab spa break.

Overall it seems to me that you had a most enjoyable time with your friends, although I note a few constructive comments that perhaps we could have improved upon however, may I thank you for highlighting them to us and we do hope to see you again very soon.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,688)

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Had a 2 night spa break here with my husband and niece. Was really relaxing, good value for money and exceptionally helpful staff.

The room was really nice and recently refurbished but the bathroom was very circa 1980's! Gold taps etc.

Although buffet style is not my favourite thing, it worked well here for lunch and breakfast. I would have preferred if Catch 22 restaurant had been open for dinner but overall food was good.

We had 2 x1 hour treatments included in our package and I thoroughly enjoyed my full body massage and algae wrap. Both my niece and husband also enjoyed the treatments they had. The pool was very cold and the Jacuzzi wasn't very vigorous, also not many loungers available.

Not the plushest spa I have been to but overall I think it was very good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear Kerrie P

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes on Trip Advisor,

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed dinner in Brasserie 1 and thoroughly enjoyed your full body massage and algae wrap as did your niece and husband. I shall be passing your comments to our Executive Chef and also our Spa Manager, who in turn will share with their staff members.

We hope to welcome you back Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes. In the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night on a Saturday in April 2013 for a belated anniversary night away. The stay was littered with small, irritating things which if looked at singularly are not insurmountable, table-pounding "let me see the manager" situations but the cumulative affect was that it was a bit draining and made for a less than relaxing night away.

Check-in was efficient if a little on the slow side but at least our room was ready. Upon arrival at the room there was a tray of half-eaten burger and chips right by the front door which I assumed would be taken away soon after.

My wife went to the spa which she says is very professional and run in exemplary fashion so I will take her word for that given that she has been to the resort before for girls weekend spa breaks. My wife returned to the room and the same tray of food was still at the front door. Yes, it was outside the room and it shouldn't worry you that much but it had now been there at least 2 hours and didn't look or smell great by then. After a quick call the tray was removed promptly around 5.30.

I took a trip down to the bar for a beer and found it to be strangely empty. Given the fact the weather wasn't great I would have assumed there would be some golfers taking refunge but alas none. I ordered a bottled beer and the glass provided was dirty. A second was produced which was similarly dirty.

We were booked in for dinner at 7.30 in what was the only restaurant at the hotel. There was a buffet option which was part of our DBB package or an a la carte option which we went for. Having had a pre-dinner drink (again a dirty glass had to be handed back) in the bar we took our seats and was handed the a la carte menu. The menu was tiny and in addition to steak options there was 1 salmon dish, 1 chicken dish and possibly a pasta and risotto dish on offer. The starters were pretty bland. There was a very limited wine list on the reverse of the menu and guests were asked to request the larger wine list from their waiter/ress. There is no larger wine list and for an establishment of that size to only have the choices they had was shameful. This left me to order by the glass as I wasn't confident in the quality. The shiraz was ok but the sauvignon blanc was below par. The highlight of the weekend was the main course for both of us. My wife had salmon and I had the ribeye which was seasoned and cooked very well. Mind you at £15 and £26 approx respectively they should have been. There is an allowance for £21pp to go towards your bill if you take the a la carte option which maybe a bit on the frugal side given the cost of most of the main courses was above that. Our bill came in at just over £100 for 3 courses and the equivalent of 1 bottle of wine which was maybe a bit toppy but not outrageously so. The service was good but did come a bit irritating as there was no structure or table allocation as we were asked about drinks orders and meal choices after we had already given them.

The beds and bedding were very comfortable for us both and the room was satisfactory overall.

Upon check-in I ordered a Sunday Times. By 8am this hadn't arrived so I called reception who said they don't deliver papers until 9am. Given breakfast starts at 7.30 I struggled to come to terms with this policy especially as a gratis copy of the i on sunday is delivered to every room. By 9am the paper hadn't arrived which co-incided with the time we went for breakfast. I knew I should have bought the Saturday Telegraph prior to our arrival! This was duly removed from our bill upon check-out.

Breakfast was a hearty affair and lots of warm cooked food was well supplied.

To summarise we had an ok night away but this place could and should do much better. The service always seemed to be reactive rather than proactive. If something was asked for it was done but you shouldn't ask for a clean glass three times, you shouldn't have a tray of half eaten food outside the door for hours on end and newspapers should be delivered at a reasonable time. Lastly, if they plan on having one a la carte restaurant they should expand the menu and sort out the wine list.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
JohnAngusG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Dear TS Chelmsford

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes. I can confirm that all the points you have mentioned have been discussed in detail with the relevant managers and each point will be added to our ongoing training plan so that going forward, we ensure that similar challenges do not occur in the future. Please accept our sincere apologies that on this occasion, we did not entirely meet your expectations.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

First off, we had no complaints about the Crowne Plaza hotel itself. It was typical, predictable, mass-market accommodation and food. The setting was nothing special, even though the trip to the hotel took us down a number of country lanes through lovely little villages. But the golf course! Where to begin? The Links course could not really be called a golf course. It was simply a field with extremely long grass (too difficult to push a trolley through in many cases) and 18 designated "tee boxes" and "greens." The only thing to its credit was that it offered a few nice views of the estuary nearby. The Lakes course was a bit better but still not interesting. I don't think the mowers are used on the course more than once a week, and the grass was again way too long, even on the greens. Try putting on a surface that looks like your front lawn! At least the balls rolled straight; with grass that long, they couldn't take a break! The layout was uninteresting and the course maintenance was severely lacking. What more needs to be said?

Room Tip: The side of the hotel overlooking the Lakes course gets better phone reception.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank SuffolkAnn

Dear SuffolkAnn

I am a great advocate of Trip Advisor and believe that all views should be aired both positive and negative. However, this review shows the worst side of Trip Advisor where damaging comments can be posted with no truth to them or expertise to judge.

To call our golf course the “worst golf course ever” is so far from the truth as to be an insult to the team who take care of our magnificent golf courses with blood, sweat and tears on a daily basis.

Since the beginning of January, we had the highest average rainfall in living memory and snow on the courses for a total of 5 weeks. Both courses are Championship courses and following the extremely bad weather, are in remarkably good condition; with the Links greens measuring 8 and cut to 4mm and the Lakes greens measuring 9 and cut to 3.5mm. However, from your obvious lack of understanding of golf courses, you would not understand how good that is !!

Regards

Reviewed 29 April 2013

My partner and I stayed here in May-June 2012. We had one of the separate flat-type rooms. Although the hotel and the room were a lot more modern than some of the places we have stayed at in the area it was the simple things that caused our stay to be below average.

1. Dead bugs in all the photo frames above our bed, full of them (not nice.)
2. The shower would leak out of the bathroom and onto the floor in the bedroom therefore soaking wet bedroom floor and huge mould/water stain (really not nice!)
3. There were stains on the curtains
4. The bedsheets were not clean on arrival and were covered in stains
5. When we complained about the stains on the bed they offered to come and change them as there must have been a mistake, pleased with this but then when we went to pay at the end of our stay we found that we had been charged extra for them changing the bedsheets 'again'!!
6. If you misplace your breakfast ordering card on the first night, don't expect to be provided with another one
7. Sheets not changed in our 4 night stay unless you ask! (they just make the bed their way)
8. Moved all my belongings around the room. I tidied up my belongings before going out each day in order to make it easier for them to clean the room. But when I came back they would be in different places and one day I even found that my bag had been left open when I had shut it (nothing was taken though)
9. Balcony door didn't open.
10. Window didn't shut/lock
11. Cup in bathroom (the kind you would keep your toothbrush in) covered in tooth paste on arrival.. absolutely disgusting. (yuck!) - wasn't changed or cleaned throughout stay.

Have been to many functions here before from weddings to proms. Always been good. Never stayed in a room until now though.

Either way, modern but lacking on cleanliness and simple tasks being carried out. Shame. Also would have been nice to know what facilities the hotel offered.. maybe a booklet in the room?

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank megsb18
JohnAngusG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Dear Megsb18

We have reviewed your comments in detail. However, I am extremely disappointed that you made reference to a stay that was 12 months ago and we have no record of you highlighting any of your concerns at the time.

The hotel has changed management in the process and I am afraid that your comments are no longer relevant, being that they are 12 months old.

Thank you and regards.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

I used this as a conference venue for 4 days during April 2013 and am very impressed. Although a distance from the A12 through countryside (could signs be put up along the way to provide reassurance?), the venue is very large, provides excellent, spacious conference rooms, and in the Board Room has very good IT facilities and a great balcony over the golf courses for break times. Lunch is excellent (very important) with a choice of starters and main courses. Chairs are very comfortable and each table is of ample size for delegates. There is a Lounge for Conference Organisers that is a welcome retreat. Any problems were immediately addressed, the General Manager addresses concerns professionally, promptly and appropriately. There seems to be a lack of knowledge at Reception, however I saw three members of staff being trained on the 4th day. This is good. Pool, gym, squash courts, ground etc are excellently maintained. A great venue, I'll be using it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no shared doors with neighbouring rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jo M
JohnAngusG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Jo M

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent four day visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes. We are delighted that your stay was such a positive experience and we thank you for detailing first hand your experience of our facilities from a business delegate's point of view. We do have a new reception team at the hotel and going forward after their training is complete, the Reception team will be up to speed.

Jo M, we note that you would return and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

Nice peaceful atmosphere and lovely location in the sunshine.
Stayed just one night for our wedding anniversary

No guest feedback forms available
No pack of hotel or local information in the room - would have been nice to have details of bar, restaurant, pool gym and spa opening times etc available in one place.
We had to report a couple of items that I would have expected housekeeping to have seen (light not working and veranda covered in cigarette butts.
Also would have been nice a guests to know when there were swimming lessons in the pool in case we wanted to avoid that time.
Sad that some guests used the pool and then sat in bar in wet robes and made furniture damp.

Generally staff were welcoming and friendly though it took us a while to get seated in the Brasserie in the evening as staff weren't attentive then and also ages to get served drinks and lunch in Bar Lacu

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sally N

So pleased to read that you chose Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes as the hotel destination for your wedding anniversary. We take on board your constructive feedback and we are sorry that there were some disappointments during your stay. I am also disappointed that our reception team did not give you one of the hotel’s information leaflet wherein you would have found the information you were missing. Your dining experience was less than best and we have passed this information to our restaurant manager.

Sally N, thank you for being so candid in your review and we do hope that this will not deter you from visiting in the future.

Kind regards.

6 mi away
Le Bouchon Hotel
Le Bouchon Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heybridge

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes? Share your experiences!