“Overall excellent experience”

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
“Overall excellent experience”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Wonderful place to chill out on a sunny day, you can play a round of golf, take a swim and/or make use of spa treatments. I really enjoyed the friendly staff, you were able to potter about in your robe if you were going for a swim, overall very relaxed. We did have a luxury room, it was just as describled. Large king bed, separate bath and shower and all the necessary complimentary tolietries.
We upgrated the room to include hotel lounge, this offers complimentary soft drinks 24 hours and wine & beer between 6-8pm.
Breakfast was excellent.
Only downside is it is situated in the middle of nowhere, if you want quiet it is excellent if you want to dine out or go site seeing you will have quite a drive.

Room Tip: Call to book, they are more helpful with options
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
JohnAngusG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear J B

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes is a fantastic place stay at any time of the year, but with the sun shining, this only makes a visit even more enjoyable.

I am glad that you were pleased with your upgraded room and its amenities along with access to the Club Lounge and the following morning, you enjoyed a full English breakfast.

Our Resort is probably 20 minutes from the historic town of Colchester, 15 minutes from Maldon and of course not forgetting the many little villages dotted around. There are lots to see and do in this part of Essex and Mersea is worth a mention too.

J B, hoping you return to see us very soon and a warm welcome awaits you.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
West Sussex
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel in late June on a spa break with my husband. I booked my treatments in advance as I knew it was peak season and I was able to book convenient times for me which was useful. I had an amazing Mum to Be treatment and a mini pedicure both of which was lovely and made me feel more human again! The only thing I would say is that there needs to be a list of rules for the relaxation room. I was just relaxing after a treatment and about to fall asleep when some loud women from a hen party started shouting as they walked through the door and plonked themselves on the bed still talking loudly without a care in the world. So I wasn't really able to relax.

The air con in our room was extremely poor and I was so hot that I couldn't sleep properly. There was no way of opening the window properly either. There were no spare pillows in the wardrobe either so I felt very uncomfortable and hot at night. The shower was also very mouldy and didn't seem as clean as it could be considering this is a 4 star hotel.

At breakfast the staff seemed noticeably flustered and I did see two members of staff have a row in front of us. It didn't particularly bother me but it also didn't seem very professional.

However, overall I had a good time and the spa was really good. My treatments were lovely, the beauticians were very nice always checking I was still feeling comfortable and if I needed anything. Would definitely recommend on the spa facilities alone (minus the 'relaxation' room) but the whole hotel was nice and I went home feeling very refreshed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Nightshade21

We appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor and note from your comments that your spa break was an enjoyable one. Our Spa Manager and her therapists will be delighted to read that your Mum to Be treatment and mini-pedicure were lovely and were just what you needed. We take on board your comment regarding Relaxation Room etiquette and we thank you for this idea, which in turn has been shared with the Spa Manager.

Your feedback concerning your accommodation has been noted and passed to the relevant managers and please accept my apologies that our normally high standards had lapsed on this occasion.

It is unacceptable that staff members should be seen arguing in the restaurant and our Restaurant Manager will be disappointed in thisbehaviour.

Nightshade 21, we are delighted that overall your visit was an enjoyable experience and that you would recommend us to others and we thank you for that.

Nightshade21, looking forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes in the not too distant future.

With kind regards.
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Our party of 14 booked this as a special treat to celebrate birthdays. There were no robes left despite this being a spa break. Treatment times were all messed up completely. Room bookings were messed up completely. The evening meal was a shambles, despite it being a buffet, several of our party had now in course as they ran out of food. No staff were looking after the buffet at dinner or breakfast and we had to constantly ask for items to be refilled. This hotel claims to be four star but the food certainly wasn't and neither was the organisation or customer service.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Bartles113,

We are disappointed to read your review of your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and note ton this occasion thatt we did not meet your expectations.

May I offer my sincere apologies for the challenges you have highlighted in your feedback. Please be assured that all the points you have raised have been passed to my managers and added to our training plan so that going forward, we ensure that similar events do not occur in the future.

Thank you again for reviewing your stay a Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes..

Ingatestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Just spent 7 nights at this hotel and it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.I booked my wife a weeks break here and she spent every day having to complain to get things right.she moved rooms twice.was asked for payment when room service was delivered,after the hotel taking a £350.00 deposit on my card for extras.both rooms were very,very dirty.the whole hotel is in need of a deep clean.i would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel near by.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
JohnAngusG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear Seb B

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am disappointed to read that even though several attempts were made by the management of the hotel to understand and correct the challenges that your wife may have faced, no relevant information was passed to the team for them to act on. At every opportunity after you had checked in, we called and requested general feedback to understand if there was anything more which could have been done. We were informed initially that your wife was not happy with the room and two of our managers recommended room changes, however, both were denied. Following this, my Operations Manager personally visited your room to ensure that everything had been done to her satisfaction unfortunately your wife did not want to have any conversation

Seb, whilst we appreciate your feedback on this occasion I would request consideration for the hotel to give them some opportunity to correct the challenges. We are always here to assist our guests and will do everything in our capacity to ensure that they have a comfortable stay. Unfortunately in your case, although we did try our level best, I do regret to say that without information it will be extremely difficult for anybody to do anything. I have been assured that even though we extended a substantial discount you still did not highlight that you had smashed the TV and the kettle in the room leading to restoration charges which have been levied.

I do hope that your wife is feeling better and you give us an opportunity to serve you in the future.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Tolleshunt Knights hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Long awaited Relaxing Spa trip with 2 friends- lobby, rooms and resturant look great but.........

Spa- no robes left-Told we needed to check in a get from our room-no slots left for any other treatments Sat or Sun- NO HIGHLIGHTED AT BOOKING 4 DAYS PREVIOUSLY
Manicure-ok-but nail varnish old -as is all peeled off in pool- 3 hours late!!!
Pool- very busy-noisy-floor very slippery-with excess water-only cleared up once during our 3 hr stay
Room-set up for 2 even though booking was for 3-rectified by housekeeping

Bar- Ordered 3 cocktails-took ages waited 10 mins- very basic presentation-no garnish

Dinner- waited 15 mins in a que for booking at 9pm-table not ready-seated-brief description of what was avaliable- not offered wine list, not offered other drinks-had to attracted attention for water-to order-for plates to be cleared-for tea- one of us order mushroom risotto- to much cheese-not nice-plate cleared-no inquiry if anything wrong with food-gave feedback-no apology-no offer of an alternative. All desserts were awful!!! except for the jelly with fruit-

Room-distrubed at 12.30am by arguement next door-very heated-call recepion-guy came up-to see if they were ok?? not the poor people they distubed-happen again at 1.30am-went to reception to complain-as no answer on the phone.

Breakfast-no wait-but need to re-fill our own tea-need to prompt for items missing on hot buffet-waited 5 mins and gave up

Check out-agin 10 min wait-and no "how was your stay-therefore info on here.

Understand busy-however dont take bookings for spa-just because you have rooms free-but no slots in the spa-or make it clear at booking-same with dinner-feel staff try hard-but very young-no clear leadership seen-no drive to make the stay enjoyable,restful-or relaxed- it felt it was a fiasco at time-in nice surroundings-

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank EasygoingJ2209
JohnAngusG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Easgoing J2209

Thank you for your comments following your stay at our Resort recently. Firstly let me offer my sincere apologies for not delivering the experience that you and your friends were looking for and for the challenges you have highlighted in your feedback. I can assure you that all the points you have raised will be shared with the respective managers and added to our training plan so that going forward, we ensure that similar events do not occur in the future.

We do hope that despite not entirely meeting your expectations, we might have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed here with my best friend for just one night and had a lovely time!

Used all the facilities and sat outside in the sun drinking prosecco!!

staff were all lovely and the room we had been allocated was lovely - much better than the room i had when i stayed in february!! (ask for one near the spa)

Only issue was the room bill however the reception staff rectified this very quickly - also had much quicker service in the restaurant than when i visited in february!

would definately recommend!!!

Room Tip: ask for one near the spa as they must have recently been refurbished!! lovely rooms!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
JohnAngusG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear Nicki D,

How lovely to read that both you and your best friend had a great time at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes recently, enjoying our varied facilities and relaxing in the sunshine enjoying a refreshing chilled drink.

We are also pleased that you found our staff helpful and your accommodation to your satisfaction.

Nicki D, we do hope that you find the time to return and a warm welcome awaits you.

With kind regards.
Reviewed 24 June 2013

On arrival we found the front of house very rude, as it was a large booking she did not have patiences whilst dealing with our group if 12. The spa treatment was a very good, the rooms was on point I don't have any complains and the food choices was great. Besides the front of house experience I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank VenusChrome
JohnAngusG, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear VenusChrome

It is disappointing to read that your group arrival was not as welcoming as it should have been and for that, please accept my apologies and your comment has been passed to our Front of House Manager.

However, it was reassuring to note that you all thoroughly enjoyed your spa treatments and your accommodation was to your satisfaction. Our Executive Chef will be delighted that you thought the food was great.

Thank you for recommending Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and looking forward to seeing you all very soon indeed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tolleshunt Knights
Best Western Marks Tey Hotel
The Limes
The Limes
#2 of 3 in Maldon

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes? Share your experiences!