“nice surroundings”

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed for one night in a family double bedroom (2 double beds) dinner and breakfast included £165 (2 adults+2 children and infant in a cot)
The room was not huge, but modern decor and furnishings.
Plenty drawer, cupboard hanging space, kettle, flat screen TV, iron.
Bathroom and had bath and separate shower.
We did not use wifi as was £14.95 per day....can’t believe anyone pays that!
Our dinner package allowed us to have anything from the buffet which had a reasonable selection or £21 towards anything from a la carte.
The children could have either. The food was I though failry good for the package price we paid.
There was not a huge wine list prices started at just over £20 to near £100
Service was good
Breakfast was buffet, this was again good, with full English as well as fruits and pastries.
We used the pool, this was very good and child friendly with gentle incline from steps starting at 0.5m
The bar area was nice enough too.
Service was good throughout and no real complaints.

There were a lot of hen parties there suing the spa
As well as a wedding

Room Tip: room 202 was quite
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Your views and comments are truly appreciated and I am happy to read from your feedback that you and your family enjoyed your visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes.

At the time of your visit, WIFI was chargeable after the first complimentary half hour however, since your visit, WIFI is now complimentary to all guests.

I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon. Thank you again for your review.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I attended this spa/ hotel a couple of weekends ago with a group of ladies for my friends hen do. I had a great weekend with the girls but I have very mixed reviews of the hotel/spa.

Parking – there is a very large car park but on the day we arrived it was completely packed and people were having to park on the grass verges etc. We had a call the day before we were due to arrive to warn us that there was a carp convention on that weekend so the car park would be very busy so we left plenty of time before our treatments but it wasn’t the most relaxing start to a spa weekend and it may be worth asking at the time of booking if there are any conventions on so that you can try to avoid them.

Reception – the hotel lobby is very impressive and the reception staff were very polite. We arrived earlier than our check in time but this wasn’t a problem as they have a room behind reception where you can leave your bags until it is time to check in.

Spa – you are issued with a robe and slippers on arrival, the spa staff are very nice and I had booked a fully body massage before arrival which was lovely and included in the price of the hotel package which I feel was a good deal. However I didn’t feel it had a very relaxed spa like atmosphere. The odd scented candle or diffuser (used in the treatment rooms but not in the seating area or relaxation room), lower lighting in the seating area and a few products to use in the changing rooms etc would have been nice and is what I am use to from other spas I have visited in the past. I also found it to be a bit of a maze with the pool downstairs, relaxation room upstairs etc so you ended up roaming corridors in your bath robe which would be fine if the hotel was just a spa but with such mixed clientele it was a little awkward at times.

Pool – the pool was nothing luxurious and is in need of a bit of a cleanup. The hot tub was on a random timer so by the time we got in the bubbles had stopped and we just had to sit and wait for them to go off again. There were also no way near enough loungers for the number of people using the pool. This is a very large hotel so they should expect large numbers and be more accommodating to this. I heard a few other guests complaining about this also.

Room – was nice and spacious, beds very comfortable, covered most of the things you might need – fridge, hair dryer, safe etc. The negative I have is that the room was very hot even with the air conditioning on which resulted in a bad nights sleep. There was also a group of men arguing outside our bedroom window in the early hours of the morning which woke us up.

Food – was very good value for money and very tasty, they were constantly bringing new trays of food out and it all tasted very fresh. Breakfast especially was lovely. We defiantly felt we got a lot for our money with the deal.

In general – there was a very mixed clientele when we were there, Carp convention, wedding, football teams etc which didn’t make for a very spa like feel. I would describe it as more of a hotel with standard spa facilities. If you are looking to get away with the girls for a night and want a good deal then this is great but if you are looking for a luxurious, relaxing pamper break then there are nicer spas to visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ChloeSimone86

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations from your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes on Trip Advisor.

One of our most important tasks is to learn directly from our guests and you can be sure that your feedback has already been shared with the relevant departmental managers so that going forward, improvements where appropriate are put in place.

We do hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back at some time in the not too distant future.

With kind regards

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My party of 8 booked into a 2 nights stay of the Crowne Plaza Five Lakes for a golf and leisure break. Everything was pre-booked, rooms, tee times and tables for dinner. We arrived early morning and were able to unpack into our rooms before our tee time. The golf organisation was perfect and all our times we met, unlike other resorts. The rooms were large and well equipped, with the only negative being that they were too hot! There is plenty to do at this hotel: gym, pool etc, snooker, pool, table tennis, outdoor tennis and even squash.
Breakfast is a buffet but with the option for freshly cooked eggs etc and plentiful. Dinner again was an option of buffet or al la carte. We tried both and they were excellent.
No problems recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you very much for your positive review following your golfing break at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester - Five Lakes. I am delighted that we were able to meet and exceed all your expectations and that all your group had a most enjoyable time.

I very much hope that you will take the opportunity to return in the not too distant future to enjoy again, all the facilities that the hotel offers.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Where do I start my sister booked this spa as a gift for my mum,it was a family day out and 8 of us had decided to come up. We tried to book this in advance but was told you just turn up but could call and book treatments in advance. My sister and my auntie called for three days straight with no answer left voice mails and emailed all with no response. I then began to call and got through to the main desk and a very helpful gentle man went up to talk to the spa for me. I then instantly get a returned phone call (as you will see in this review the only way to get round this place to complain ). The spa is now fully booked due to the hotel being booked. So there goes mums present of a massage. We ask to be put on the cancellation list just in case and enquire if they are having issues with their phones only to be told that every voicemail and email are responded to( clearly not ). We then get shown to the changing rooms for the treatment area even though we are unable to have any treatments. Before finding our own way down to the spa and their changing rooms ( lockers only take £2 coins by the way no one tells you this and get very grumpy when you ask them to change it up as my mum found out ). The spa facilities themselves are ok. One of our party returns from using the gym and noticed glass on the floor in the changing rooms( where there is a little girl running around ) I go and tell the life guard and off he goes to clean it up or so we thought 3 hours latter when we are going to get ready for out afternoon a member of our party then steps on the glass. My cousin then goes to have a shower only to be greater by a cockroach
. We go up and complain to the spa reception and granted we get a 50% refund. So me and my sister go down to decorate the table reserved when we arrived in the bar as you can't have tea in the restaurant ( was not told this when booking ) only to find people sitting at it so they are asked to move we go to get my mum come back only to find someone else sitting at our now decorated table with the bar staff just standing at the bar watching the football. We then order our tea now granted we are a fussy family and 3 of our pairs asked for no salmon sandwiches and asked for extra of anything else and 1 of us asked for no egg we were told they were running low on ham and asked if Turkey would be ok for our swap we said that was fine. Then 2 of our pots of tea turned up 10 minutes later my mum went to the bar to ask for her tea and was told it would be made straight away.10 mins later still no tea and out sandwiches arrive wrong so we explain what we ordered and the guy just stared at us. We explained again that we don't want that food and that we still hadn't got our tea. Only to be told that there was no ham left in the restaurant. We
complained again and half an hour later got the money back for the food we sent back. We also received a voucher for a free afternoon tea which we will not be using. The place is a joke stay away.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Daniellepascoe1

Thank you very much for taking the time to relay your feedback. We are most disappointed to read of your experience, albeit we felt that we dealt with it appropriately on the day. Your feedback has been shared with my respective managers and like them, I sincerely apologise.

On your note re health and safety obviously, we take this matter very seriously indeed and I can assure you that action has been taken to avoid any instances of this nature in the future.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback, all comments whether positive or otherwise are always taken as read whilst we endeavour to satisfy everything our guests need.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Had to be moved rooms twice due to a known loud buzzing in the rooms. If a customer has complained of the noise once they won't want to be put in another room with the same noise. According to the Duty Manager this has been a known problem along the whole corridor, but it hasn't been fixed and they are still putting guests in them

The hotel corridors stank of smoke.

Had to be downgraded to a room with the most uncomfortable beds and the thinnest walls.

At breakfast was served off milk with my coffee and the apple juice was on the turn as it gets left under lights from first thing until breakfast is over.

Went back to room after breakfast for a nap, but that was impossible due to the loudest housekeeping staff ever. Apparently in this hotel it is acceptable for staff to be shouting up and down stairs whilst guests try to sleep.

Avoided breakfast the next day and went to check out where they tried to charge me the full price for the original room before they downgraded me! What a joke. I then had to wait again for another Duty Manager who offered me another nights stay FOC, I don't think so wouldn't go back there ever again. Eventually got 50% off but I still ended up paying 50% too much.

The hotels own website has refused my review 3 times so far, can't imagine why?!?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OrangeSimon76
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes.

Please accept my sincere apologies that the location of your room in relation to the service lift did cause some noise disturbance at times and I appreciate how this impacted on your visit. However, the second room allocated to you was some distance away from the service lift and therefore, any noise from the service lift would be inaudible. It is unacceptable that another guest had been smoking in their room and unfortunately, the smell from this activity had drifted into the corridor and it is appreciated that this was unacceptable to you and we relocated you again to another room due to this issue.

All breakfast items are put out fresh each day, as were the milk and the apple juice and please accept my apologies if they became unusually warm under the lights and thank you for highlighting this to us.

I note that you retired back to your room after breakfast service and you experienced the sound of our housekeeping team going about their tasks which was disturbing to you. Your feedback in this regard has already been passed to the Executive Housekeeper and he offers his apologies to you.

I am aware that you met with our Duty Manager before you departed the hotel and after discussing the challenges you faced during your stay, I was pleased that you accepted our offer of a 50% discount on your two night visit.

Once again, please accept my personal apologies that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and I do hope that you might give us another opportunity in the future to serve you.

With kind regards

Reviewed 1 April 2014

The moment you walk through the door of the Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, you enter another world and it's an exciting one. It has the spendour of the latest in modern style with a touch of 'Art Deco', it really is a wonderful introduction to a classy four star hotel of excellent taste - customers love it and records show they return time and time again.
The hotel and resort sits in 320 acres of glorious English countryside, with two 18 hole golf courses both with 'Golf Mark Awards' and with a list of other exciting facilities it is rightly considered as one of the best country hotel venues in the southern counties of the UK.

First point on contact is the reception operated by efficient staff 24/7they are extremely professional and provide VIP treatment for everyone, there is adaquate ground level car parking which is free of charge.

First impressions count and you have to admire the huge ground floor Atrium with a 50 metre
high ceiling where concealed lighting focuses on twin classic staircases, ideal for a grand entrance down to the main lounge on the ground floor, where one can relax to romantic piano music in luxurious surroundings and perhaps enjoy an aperitif prior to evening dinner.

There are two restaurants the main one being the award winning 'Brasserie 1' the menu is superb and a host of staff wait on your every need. From the A'La Carte menu I would recommend the 10oz Rib Eye Steak - matured for 28 days absolutely beautiful, especially when
accompanied by one of the delicious wines from the extensive international wine list, there's also a mouth watering Table D'hote menu as well to choose from.

The other restaurant is the fine dining 'Catch 22'. It's more intimate, and a lovely setting for a romantic 'candlelit evening dinner' after which on a summers evening lovers can go for a moonlight walk beside one of the five lakes that surround the hotel, or dance into the early hours in the plush 'Pulse Night Club'.

There's also 'Bar Lacu' - a 'Manhattan Style Cocktail Bar' where in your white tuxedo you can have your cocktail shaken but not stirred - apologies to James Bond of course.!! This is a very chic place where one just has to be seen, it also has a menu rather less formal and is very popular, it also has an 'al fresco' terrace where couples can dine beneath the stars.
As the sun goes down you'll think you are in Hollywood, beautiful women are everywhere; the reason for this is that the hotel is also a Spa and Resort with a swimming pool, beauty treatment rooms, with Nail Bars, Tanning, Hot Stone Massage and Facial Treatments.

In addition to all the aforementioned there is an International standard football pitch, tennis courts, a Sports Bar and an enormous Arena which can seat 4000 people, plus meeting rooms of various sizes and banqueting rooms for weddings and special events. In addition to good value prices the hotel also has special offers such as 'His and Hers Weekends' - 'Weekend Spa Breaks' - 'Romantic Packages' - 'Hen Nights' - and 'Lazy Sundays'.

In summary the Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes is excellent, credit must be given to
forward thinking Directors and the General Manager; Ian Cullen, also to Sumit Chopra; the Operations Manager, also to Harpreet Saluja; Food and Beverage Manager, and to all the staff some of whom have been with the hotel for fifteen years.

This is an exciting venue and most certainly ' A JEWEL IN THE CROWNE'. - Frank Coulter

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frank C
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Many thanks for your concise review. It is so pleasing for myself and my team to receive such positive comments.

I do hope on your return to the hotel, you contact me directly so that I am meet with you.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

After reading some of the reviews I was a bit nervous, but we found the hotel and the staff very very good. Had a lovely room, some very good treatments and a nice dinner. Only complaint would be that dinner included is just the Chinese buffet or a small allowance to the a la carte. That's sneaky as you don't realise that when you book

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for choosing Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes as your hotel destination despite reading some negative postings on Trip Advisor.

It is clear to me that you had a most enjoyable time. However, your comments regarding your dining experience are taken on board and our menu options will be reviewed.

Once again, thank you for commenting positively on your visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and we hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tolleshunt Knights
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe
Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester
Best Western Marks Tey Hotel
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes? Share your experiences!