“Great weekend”

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Went with a group of friends for a golf weekend and we were all very pleasantly surprised by the rooms. Modern and very comfortable with a great bathroom and shower. The food was excellent but the drinks were very expensive but that is not unusual in large hotels. The staff were good and very helpful..
One of the golf courses was ok but not that interesting but the second course was very good. The biggest problem was the length of the rough which was very long and consequently the majority of the mixed ability golfers would spend ages looking for balls that had missed the fairways.
Rounds were taking over 5 hours which took away some of the enjoyment.
The cost of soft drinks and water in the golf shop was very expensive. A rip off.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked very good.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank John M
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent golf weekend at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and I am most pleased that you found your accommodation comfortable and well appointed and our chefs will be pleased that your dining experience was excellent.

I note that your golfing experience did not entirely meet your expectations however, I can assure you that your constructive comments will be passed to the relevant managers and we thank you for taking the time to highlight your thoughts.

Looking into the future, we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

With kind regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,654)

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Wow,were to start, I am actually still staying here for business,2 months to be exact so after that time you know if something is good or not,no I don't have a grudge,simply the maintenance and listening skills of the management is horrendous!!!! Ok so start I had ants in my room which they were not capable of sorting till about the 3 rd attempt, it took a hotel worker who I have become friendly with in order to get my shower cleaned as it was disgusting,the cleaners hadn't touched it since I have been here.they have left my bedroom windows wide open on 2 occasions, they rarely vacuum, and never replace my face clothes even after asking.ok so the biggest problem is the SAUNA, which hasn't been cleaned or disinfected since I have been here,MAJOR health issue people?I have had 1 manager inside for a look,nothing done,told the housekeeping manager,still nothing,I even wiped the floor with a towel and threw it on reception desk,still nothing.this was the managers answer< I passed the message on to house keeping>not good enough!that's why your a manager,to follow up on these kind of things.What can I say apart from the lovely people in the restaurant who are true professionals,great job.management TAKE NOTE. In closing people don't fooled by the big name.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Camzolla
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Camzolla,

Thank you for staying and sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your time in our hotel. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the upkeep of our facility. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Our Son and Daughter-in-law chose Five Lakes for their wedding and were married last Saturday.
It was a wonderful day. Sarah the new wedding co-ordinator was excellent and so was Hayley who showed us the venue a few days before with our son, for his Best Man speech.
The Toast Master also did a fantastic job, professional in every way.
The staff were also outstanding and 5***** to the Chef for the lovely hot dinner at the wedding breakfast. The rooms were comfortable and clean.
Pity to see plastic cups and bottles left between bushes and along the walk way .No manners from some staying there , it does not take much to drop them in a bin!

1  Thank Ann_Paul2014

Thank you so much for your posting your positive review of Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that your wedding celebrations were everything you had hoped for and we wish your son and new daughter-in-law all the happiness in the world.

We are always appreciative when guests praise our excellence in service and be assured that you particular comments relating to Sarah, Hayley and Chef will be shared with them at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you again and we do hope we can look forward to your returning visit one day soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Whilst the location, quality of the rooms and style of the main reception area was very good, we were very disappointed with the poor customer service. To be frank we have had a better welcome and more friendly service at a Travel Lodge. In addition, we were not impressed with the quality of the food in the Brasserie. We were considering having our daughter's wedding at this hotel, but we are glad we didn't and won't be going back.

2  Thank GlennCYates
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear GlennCYates,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We regret to see that the service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were glad to see your high scores for Cleanliness, Rooms, and Sleep Quality. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 May 2014

In the depths of Essex amidst the green and yellow fields, blue skies and many wild birds - is a large golf course. With this is a very large building, quite attractive and plenty of parking space - The Crowne Plaza Five Lakes Resort. Finding it was not quite so easy but once there, the reward is great. I went for a conference not to play golf but many did go to the well cut open greens. The hotel reception is huge and once book in, off to you room either via the stairs or one of the lifts. The are four "residential" wings so ask at Reception which one you want (North; East; South or West). My room was big with a massive bed well covered and comfy; with a well equipped bathroom and storage space; a large TV and drinks facilities. The public rooms are too very large as is the restaurant. For breakfast, I would score 4/5 but full marks for the conference meals. Plenty of outdoor space in little gardens and a well stocked bar. In all, you can have a good time here especially if you partake of the sports facilities (including pool) as many "club members" do. This has to be a top resort, so book your stay, order the sun and take your golf clubs - oh and plenty of money!

Room Tip: One overlooking the golf course or countryside.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you most sincerely for your delightful review of your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and thank you also for a top score of five stars.

I am pleased that you found all aspects of your visit to be a positive experience and that your well appointed accommodation did not disappoint, dining during your visit was delicious and the hotel and its grounds impressed you.

I feel hopeful that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime in the not too distant future. Again, many thanks for positive feedback.

With kind regards

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Me and partner had always imagined getting married at fivelakes on this weekend we finally did, feeling nervous running up to the day the venue were always on hand to help me, I was so relaxed on the morning due to Sarah and amy dealing with all my suppliers and getting the room ready for me so it was a surprise! All my guests who stayed at the hotel said they had a pleasent stay and the venue was lovely! Me and my partner are so thankful for what was done for is throughout the day! Was an amazing day for us more than we had ever expected!! Rooms were nice and clean and beds were amazing!! Thank you again xx

• Stayed: May 2014
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

May I first of all offer my congratulations on the occasion of your recent marriage and wish you both all the very best for a wonderful future together. Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes for your wedding celebrations.

I am delighted that your wedding was such a memorable affair and that Sarah and Amy were involved in your special day, ensuring that every aspect was organised to perfection and I shall ensure that your comments are passed on to them.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. We do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps to celebrate your first wedding anniversary if not before !

With kind regards.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here for 1 night as we wanted to go to Colchester zoo and saw it was very close. The hotel is very nice and was particularly quiet mid week. We used the hotel pool which was lovely but be aware that there are time restrictions for children (9am-7.30pm in the week). Food and drinks were pricey but you expect that in the hotel.. There are some pubs close by but food isn't served until after 6.00pm so we had to eat in the hotel with our young daughter. We had a queen room which was nice and it even managed to fit a travel cot in! Great location to visit Colchester zoo, literally 15 mins up the road.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback folloiwng your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and I was glad to read that your visit was overall an enjoyable occasion, with the added bonus of Colchester Zoo being not so far away.

We hope that you have an opportunity in the future to return.

With kind regards .

9 mi away
Wivenhoe House
Wivenhoe House
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes? Share your experiences!